TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Could the Model 3's in the wild be intentional decoys...to allow maximum effect @ final reveal?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MonseyGuy, Jun 13, 2017.

1. MonseyGuy

MonseyGuy Supporting Member

Curious why would they allow so many sightings? Especially after so much negative feedback on the blah steering wheel, driver display, etc..

Either they're doing this to tamp down expectations, or maybe they truly have something out of this world in store and this is just a ploy to set expectations so low so that when they were finally do reveal it in July it really gets off the charts reviews.

Hmmmm...

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  2. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

No way. I can't see Tesla spending time and resources on building all the release candidates for decoy purposes. What we are seeing is what we are getting. Sure, there might be some details we still don't yet know, but no way there will be huge design deviations from what we are seeing. Production is maybe weeks away...

• Like x 12
    • Helpful x 1
  3. MonseyGuy

True. I'm I mainly referring to the customer facing technology inside, like the information display and steering wheel. I agree the body is pretty much set. But maybe the inside will look like a space cabin after all at the final reveal...

Wouldn't be the first time a marketing department didn't do a switcharoo.

4. flamingoezz

flamingoezz Member

So your theory is that they designed and built dozens of cars and paid people to drive them around as an april fools joke?

Elon has said very plainly, no front-facing technology that isn't in S/X. I was very anti anti-sell...but I see why it is necessary. People are told straight from Elon no 2nd display, no new tech and still people dream up these scenarios.

The cars are being driven around because you don't start building and delivering 500K cars without testing the fit, finish durability, performance, etc. The last thing they need is a recall.

• Like x 13
  5. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I wouldn't be surprised if the final steering wheel looks a little nicer (better proportions and/or texture), but otherwise...no. Just assume no.

6. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

7. 03DSG

03DSG Member

They are running real world testing on the actual car that will be built. Testing systems, tires (3 makes so far), reliability, charging behavior, etc, etc. What we see is what we get. Unlike the X these are not Beta's but actual RC's.The more miles they can pile on the better before the various RC's become the actual RC the board approves. There will be no more significant changes. They wouldn't be wasting all the time and resources as they would have to repeat the entire proccess if they changed anything significant.

• Like x 4
  8. MonseyGuy

#8 MonseyGuy, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    All true!
    My point is the interior screen and steering wheel (and possibly some other new item) MAY be revealed to great surprise and acclaim since so far everything looks so ho-hum...

It doesn't take much to get a bunch of RC (how many already? Under a dozen?) to roam the streets with main decoy screen/steering wheel, etc. but with everything else (seats, dash, exterior, battery, motors, computers, are the same so testing still works.

(I don't mean a HUD! ;-)

• Disagree x 1
  9. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

*Maybe* the steering wheel would be changed, but what could be changed about the screen? It was even said a year ago that the screen was final, right? I doubt anything is changeable a month out and that only if it's all planned and a deep, dark, plot. Which I doubt. :D

• Like x 2
  10. MonseyGuy

You're probably right. Was just surprised how "naked" the cars were being driven around -- whats left to reveal in July?

• Like x 2
  11. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I know what you mean, but the 'real' reveal will probably have final cars to sit in (of all possible combinations, there aren't that many, right! :) ) [I mean, 5 colors (or 6), 1 (or perhaps a couple or three) interior color(s)....). We can see all of the possibilities!]

Seriously, there has to be something, or, as you say, what is the point of the event where, again, the Loveday winner and more referral winners are being invited to. The whole thing on the 2nd seems weird with the little that's left to reveal. And then *another* event in September for the Semi, with 'something special' (paraphrase) at that, too.

WTF, is all I can say. :D

12. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

They are running reall world testing on real world cars as close to the final production as they can make them. That means what you see in the RCs is what we'll get, or pretty close to it.

What do you honestly think could be the "big surprise"? Another screen? They already said no and none of the RCs have any place where one would fit. A different steering wheel, sure, that could change, but it's still just a steering wheel. All of these "I wonder if there is a big surprise" posts just seem to me to be people looking for something to be added so that they'll like the car more. If you don't like it that's ok, it's not for everyone.

What's left? All the details we don't have yet. Range, battery sizes, colors, all the other options. Maybe an idea of how delivery is going to progress. There is lots to reveal yet.

• Like x 4
  13. N5329K

N5329K Member

I doubt there will be any change not revealed as absolutely necessary by driving the RC's around. Remember, with the X it was "How much can we cram in here?" With the 3 it's "How little can we do?"
    They could still wrap the screen with leather to soften the edges and corners. Or let the aftermarket do it for them.
    Robin

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

You seem to have forgotten the tweets from Musk which are completely in line with the RCs. He isn't going to say "nope, I lied". They need to just build it, get it to market. They can add enhancements to later models as they don't need anything special to compete today.

15. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I just look at it as great advance publicity for the reveal.
    Sure there are some negative comments but the interest generated by having so many release candidates in the wild is great for Tesla.

• Like x 1
  16. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

The title of this thread is really sad... It carries a distinct "but it can't possibly be THAT bad!" sentiment.

I just hope there isn't 399'000 other people who feel that way.

• Helpful x 1
  17. JoeCoolMan24

JoeCoolMan24 Member

As others have said, steering wheel is the only change I could see them making. Not only because it would be relatively easy to pop a new steering wheel on in the manufacturing process, but also because Elon said it would be "like a spaceship" and nothing about that steering wheel looks adventurous or different to me.

• Like x 2
  18. Jayc

Jayc Member

Tesla will want maximum possible preorders becoming actual orders so yes I think there certainly will be good news at the reveal but I suspect most of that will be in the form of numbers and aspects of design/production rather than new cabin elements.

19. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

I wouldn't describe the visible cars as "ho-hum", its a great looking car. I know what "Ho-hum" looks like and drive it every day.
    Looking at the steering wheel to dash to screen relationship, it does look like spaceship - you can see the road through the top of the steering wheel for goodness sake!
    As many, many more grounded folks have been saying, what was shown in the initial reveal is what production will be like. There won't be any major design changes.
    The only thing being "revealed" in July is ....
    1. what the base car will include
    2. what the options/packages will be
    3. pricing
    4. delivery estimates

• Like x 4
  20. timk225

timk225 Member

They could be decoys. Appearance-only things, like the steering wheel, screen, etc. Things that aren't critical to how the car works (motor, computer, electronics, etc).

Just look at all the effort that has been made to hide the charging port, with that thin black plastic piece. There BETTER be a CCS port or adapter in addition to the regular Tesla charge port!

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1