TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Could the Tesla Model S become the Google Car?

Discussion in 'News' started by Palpatine, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

Could the Tesla Model S become the Google Car? - Computerworld Blogs

All of those ideas would be really cool to work into the 17 inch display. It is certainly possible to do a lot with that much real estate on the screen.

2. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

In that case Google should front the $350 million for the factory as an investment for the company and then Tesla can use the gov loans to pay back google. The sooner those cars get built the sooner google gets all of that software in it.

3. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

Sounds pretty cool, but I would still prefer GPS to Google Maps anyday.

Coordinates input, POIs, Waypoints, Auto rerouting, voice ouput, and many other unique GPS features make it far superior to any online mapping system. (Unless Google Maps has made huge departures recently??)

(Of course that won't deter me, and I don't see why they cant have both... I also prefer having my own personal GPS you can update yourself, not through $700 DVDs, but still...)

Also, 3G is not everywhere as far as I know, so I really hope they have a backup system. (I'm also really, really a fan of closed systems)

Okay, enough complaining by me. It makes only sense they would use Google, since Google is investing so much (?) in them.

4. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

I personally don't see what the big fuzz about 3G is... My $250 phone has 3G, AND super-3G, also called HSDPA or 3.5G. 3G just isn't fast enough for most high-bandwidth uses like mapping software. I assume and hope that by the time the car hits production they can upgrade this to 3.5G as it got at least 6 times as much bandwidth than 3G.

Now that would also make it much more likely to succeed as the new google car.

Cobos

5. raymond

raymond Member

The maps need only be loaded once (and then stored on disk) and whenever they change (not that often).
    I find Google Maps rerouting (using a 'via') infinitely superior to any nav system I have seen. And I'm sure Google could make a dedicated Maps version with GPS input, traffic display, etc, etc.

Come on Sergei and Larry, fork over the US$350m! Google is worth roughly US$100b, so that would be 0.35% of your market cap. You might not even need to invest more than US$100m for others to follow your lead and fill in the gap.

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

More 3.5G (HSPA) is coming and pretty soon in lower frequency bands too. Also 4G LTE will be in the marketplace by the time Model S gets into production (2010 in the US, 2011/12 in EU). Furthermore, a new generation of mobile satellite systems is about to go live (ICO Global and Terrestar in the US, and various competing for a license in EU) which will provide 3G services outside of terrestrial coverage. Hopefully Tesla is poised to take advantage of all those technologies.