Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could the Tesla Model S become the Google Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could the Tesla Model S become the Google Car? - Computerworld Blogs

Besides its great looks and incredible specs (and unfortunate leadership controversies), there is something else interesting about the Tesla. Google's founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page are big investors.

We learned this week that the Tesla would have an industry first 17-inch display that would include Google Maps for driving guidance and a 3G connection to use services like Pandora radio. You can also check the battery charge on mobile devices as well. For instance, you can check the charging while you are at work.

But that isn't all that the Google founders would probably like to get into this car.

If they had their way...

The car's web browser of choice will undoubtedly be Google Chrome. The OS that is running the system will likely be Android. Google Talk/Google Voice (Grand Central) could also be used for communications.

Going international? Use Google Translate to navigate your way to Cabo San Lucas...or Quebec.

Youtube could keep the kids occupied in the back while driving or be a distraction while waiting for a Big Mac in the drive thru line. Speaking of distraction, how about seeing your Google Reader feeds or Google News on that 17-inch display.

Mobile shopping is getting bigger and Google Checkout/Product Search could play a part of this. Need to exchange a battery for the Tesla? Pull up Google to find the closest/cheapest battery refilling station.

That's just the beginning. Google has their hands on what could be the most revolutionary vehicle of the millennium, if they put those big brains to work on what automobile consumers want, they'll likely come up with things that make other cars seem...so last century.

All of those ideas would be really cool to work into the 17 inch display. It is certainly possible to do a lot with that much real estate on the screen.

In that case Google should front the $350 million for the factory as an investment for the company and then Tesla can use the gov loans to pay back google. The sooner those cars get built the sooner google gets all of that software in it.

Sounds pretty cool, but I would still prefer GPS to Google Maps anyday.

Coordinates input, POIs, Waypoints, Auto rerouting, voice ouput, and many other unique GPS features make it far superior to any online mapping system. (Unless Google Maps has made huge departures recently??)

(Of course that won't deter me, and I don't see why they cant have both... I also prefer having my own personal GPS you can update yourself, not through $700 DVDs, but still...)

Also, 3G is not everywhere as far as I know, so I really hope they have a backup system. (I'm also really, really a fan of closed systems)

Okay, enough complaining by me. It makes only sense they would use Google, since Google is investing so much (?) in them.

I personally don't see what the big fuzz about 3G is... My $250 phone has 3G, AND super-3G, also called HSDPA or 3.5G. 3G just isn't fast enough for most high-bandwidth uses like mapping software. I assume and hope that by the time the car hits production they can upgrade this to 3.5G as it got at least 6 times as much bandwidth than 3G.

Now that would also make it much more likely to succeed as the new google car.

Cobos

3G just isn't fast enough for most high-bandwidth uses like mapping software.

The maps need only be loaded once (and then stored on disk) and whenever they change (not that often).
I find Google Maps rerouting (using a 'via') infinitely superior to any nav system I have seen. And I'm sure Google could make a dedicated Maps version with GPS input, traffic display, etc, etc.

Come on Sergei and Larry, fork over the US$350m! Google is worth roughly US$100b, so that would be 0.35% of your market cap. You might not even need to invest more than US$100m for others to follow your lead and fill in the gap.

More 3.5G (HSPA) is coming and pretty soon in lower frequency bands too. Also 4G LTE will be in the marketplace by the time Model S gets into production (2010 in the US, 2011/12 in EU). Furthermore, a new generation of mobile satellite systems is about to go live (ICO Global and Terrestar in the US, and various competing for a license in EU) which will provide 3G services outside of terrestrial coverage. Hopefully Tesla is poised to take advantage of all those technologies.