Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could this app make Teslas more fun & reduce motion sickness?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I alone in thinking that it would be fun to have an app or built-in feature to simulate the sounds of various sports cars through the sound system based on driver input? We could have the best of both worlds - a nice quiet cruise or the roar of a v12 with the push of a button. Don't get me wrong, I love how quiet my Model S is most of the time, but how fun would it be to hear the scream of a Lamborghini or guttural notes of a Jaguar F-Type as you launch from a light?

I also wonder if the auditory queues of the engine/exhaust sounds might even help relieve some of the motion sickness caused by the smooth, noiseless acceleration by giving our brains a head's up that we're about to take off?

Perhaps some app developer could team up with a racing game developer to incorporate their existing detailed automotive sound engines into the app and offer in-app purchases for additional car sounds. I'd pay good money for this.

Reactions: liuping
I also wonder if the auditory queues of the engine/exhaust sounds might even help relieve some of the motion sickness caused by the smooth, noiseless acceleration by giving our brains a head's up that we're about to take off?

I doubt that. There's no evolutionary reason why our bodies would be adapted for taking queues as to motion from engine sounds. Both our bodies and the animals we rode for thousands of years are silent; engine sounds have only really existed for the last 120 years or so.

As for the original question, as I remember, someone did this already a few years ago. You could choose between various cars or even a fighter jet or space shuttle sounds, all synced to the acceleration experienced.

And maybe we could have a store of carbon dioxide/monoxide to pumped into the cabin so we can breathe the gas of life (to paraphrase one of the clowns President Chump nominated for the White House Council on environmental quality). Maybe we can run an experiment with her and see how long she survives breathing a 100 percent mix of the gas of life:)

I do wish Tesla would have some option to create some sound outside of the car in the instances where I would like a pedestrian or cyclist to know that a car is approaching.

I have had instances where a person at a sidewalk almost walked into the path of my car because they didn't realize that I was approaching.

This would of course be utilized only in stances where you wished the car to make some type of noise.

• Funny
Reactions: Langhorne
I do wish Tesla would have some option to create some sound outside of the car in the instances where I would like a pedestrian or cyclist to know that a car is approaching.

I have had instances where a person at a sidewalk almost walked into the path of my car because they didn't realize that I was approaching.

This would of course be utilized only in stances where you wished the car to make some type of noise.

I believe a law was passed that requires EV to make a sound when driven under 18 mph. Above the tire and wind noise is sufficient. I could be wrong, though. Either way, I'm against it. Walking onto a street should never be based on hearing and not looking. If you try to cross a street without looking you are incredibly stupid and that should not be grounds to have every vehicle on the road make a sound so you can keep being stupid.

Some people can't see and must rely on their hearing to know when it's safe to cross. Are they "incredibly stupid?"

I'm guessing that's not what you meant, but maybe something will be needed to keep the visual impaired among us from being hit by EVs.

I believe a law was passed that requires EV to make a sound when driven under 18 mph. Above the tire and wind noise is sufficient. I could be wrong, though. Either way, I'm against it. Walking onto a street should never be based on hearing and not looking. If you try to cross a street without looking you are incredibly stupid and that should not be grounds to have every vehicle on the road make a sound so you can keep being stupid.

It’s for blind people who can’t rely on their sight to tell them if there’s danger. A silent car can easily sneak up on someone who can’t see. Maybe don’t characterize them as stupid.

Am I alone in thinking that it would be fun to have an app or built-in feature to simulate the sounds of various sports cars through the sound system based on driver input? We could have the best of both worlds - a nice quiet cruise or the roar of a v12 with the push of a button.

Perhaps some app developer could team up with a racing game developer to incorporate their existing detailed automotive sound engines into the app and offer in-app purchases for additional car sounds. I'd pay good money for this.
With App, Tesla Model S Sounds Like A Muscle Car - Video

From the looks of it, you'll be buying a lot of headgear.

With App, Tesla Model S Sounds Like A Muscle Car - Video

From the looks of it, you'll be buying a lot of headgear.
They made a concept app, but never released it.

It would be simple for Tesla to add it, since they have all the accelerator inputs, current speed, etc.

I know some people think it stupid, but some people like the idea and it might make it easier to convert a few people who don't want silent acceleration. Just like Chill mode was added, because not every one that wants a nice, long range EV wants crazy acceleration.

Maybe have a scent machine that releases the smell of exhaust, too.
... and release the smell of gasoline every time you plug in the car.

Plus the app could also automatically ding your credit card for $50 each time you “fill up” too

As for the original question, as I remember, someone did this already a few years ago. You could choose between various cars or even a fighter jet or space shuttle sounds, all synced to the acceleration experienced.

Yeah I’m pretty sure there are already a number of existing smartphone apps that use the phone's GPS and accelerometer to play a selection of cars' sounds responding to your car's actual motion. The OP can probably search the app stores and find one

I think it would be a fun easter egg. Imagine simulating a couple classic cars, including the visuals of the instrument cluster, the torque curve, and the shifting sensations. It could be a fun way to show how far we’ve come.

I wouldn’t make it a full on feature, though.

Reactions: d-bone
I believe a law was passed that requires EV to make a sound when driven under 18 mph. Above the tire and wind noise is sufficient.

My issue with this law continues to be that there are plenty of vehicles that don't make noise when moving at a slow speed (hybrids, hydrogen to be specific). To specify 'EV' ignores that. If the issue really is to provide noise to pedestrians, then a minimum noise level should be required for all cars moving between 1mph & 18mph. And then it's a level playing field. (And I submitted comments to that effect when it was open for public comment.)

What I'd really like is a small button on the steering wheel that would allow me to notify pedestrians that I'm behind them - like a bicycle bell chime. I don't want to blast my horn at them & the chime is well-known as 'coming up behind you'.

My issue with this law continues to be that there are plenty of vehicles that don't make noise when moving at a slow speed (hybrids, hydrogen to be specific). To specify 'EV' ignores that. If the issue really is to provide noise to pedestrians, then a minimum noise level should be required for all cars moving between 1mph & 18mph. And then it's a level playing field. (And I submitted comments to that effect when it was open for public comment.)

What I'd really like is a small button on the steering wheel that would allow me to notify pedestrians that I'm behind them - like a bicycle bell chime. I don't want to blast my horn at them & the chime is well-known as 'coming up behind you'.

I like that. Maybe with a quick flash of the brights (or other lighting effect) for those with less sensitive hearing.