Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could this be a Scam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently went online to research the possibility of selling my Roadster. I was directed to the Current Automotive website where I filled out info on my car. I was contacted by them and have sent pictures. They have made me a reasonable offer for the car. The next step is for me to send photos of my title and registration at which point they are to wire the funds and then send someone to pick up the car. It all seems too easy. Has anyone else had any dealings with this company? Are they legit or could this be a scam?

Yes, sounds too easy. There area such scams going around. What site are you talking about? Did I miss that?

Common Scams for Vehicle Sales
Though not every transaction is a potential scam, you will need to use caution when dealing with an unknown buyer.

Common scams you should be aware of when selling your car include:

• Offers to buy sight-unseen.
    • A buyer offering to buy your car without looking at it first should be considered a warning sign.
    • Often, this is part of a larger scam. The buyer will send a bad check or promise to wire money and have a different person pick up the vehicle.
  • Paying with checks or money orders.
    • While it isn't always the case, a common scam is to pay the seller with a check or money order that's fake. If you sign the title over before the money clears, the car isn't yours anymore, and you're left having basically given the car away for free.
  • Overpayment.
    • In this case, a buyer will tell you that someone else owes him or her money that is more than the cost of your car. He or she will ask for the car and promise payment from the other individual.
    • Another overpayment scam involves the promise to wire additional funds or send a larger check to pay for the cost to ship. The buyer will send a fraudulent check and ask you to deposit it. If you ship the vehicle before it clears, you're in for a headache—locating and retrieving a vehicle that has already been shipped is both costly and time consuming, especially if it's out of the country.
  • Payment plans.
    • A promise to make monthly payments is usually not a good way to go. Since you aren't a finance company and have no way to collect if a buyer misses or stops payments, it's best to avoid these offers.
  • Escrow services.
    • In this situation, the buyer will use an unknown escrow service to complete the transaction. It will seem secure, but once you've given them the signed title, the money will no longer be available.
      • An escrow service is a third party that is used in high-value purchases to maintain accountability during the transaction. An illegitimate escrow can be used as a scam tactic.
  • Asking for personal information.
    • Some buyers may promise to wire money to obtain personal information, such as:
      • Social Security numbers.
      • Bank account information.
      • Credit card numbers.
    • This may be an attempt at identity theft.

Last edited:
The site was Current Automation and I did find that they do list cars for sale. Sounds like I'll be okay as long as I get the money before I sign over the title.

Thanks for your inputs.
You are right to be suspicious, but it might be okay. Let us know how it works out. As long as the deposit clears, should be okay. But if they ask you to spend any money beforehand, I think it's a big warning.

The important thing is if the Cheque bounces your on the hook, be it 1 day, 3 days, 7 days, a month later, first they recover the money and then leave you car less. I took a huge risk buying my car before arriving but I know the seller was taking a bigger risk. Thankfully we trusted each other, if I can’t trust my instincts and the buyer. I play it safe, it all works out in the end.

Hi Barbara - Seneca here, Co-Founder of Current Automotive. I can assure you that we are not scammers! Search the post history of my handle here and you'll see my posts when I first started at Tesla in 2009 :)

I constantly search the internet for feedback about Current Automotive and make sure that we are making people feel good about doing business with us.

To everyone else reading - I'm a former Tesla veteran turned entrepreneur again after almost 9 years at the company. I was employee #126 at Tesla when I left and was the former GM of CPO/Used Vehicles North America in my final role. There was a huge opportunity forming for all used EVs and Current Automotive is the genesis of that.

We had a tough time acquiring Tesla vehicles lately and I had to think creatively. I started a Google SEM campaign that directs people to a page on our website which asks very specific questions about their Tesla vehicle - questions that no other dealer would ask and allows me to evaluate each vehicle quickly based on the data provided. The last step is to see photos of what we are potentially purchasing sent via text or email, and then we send purchase documents to complete the transaction.

We've been featured in several newspapers, and I've recently been quoted in the Wall Street Journal - hopefully that's credible enough!

WSJ: Tesla Faces Skepticism About Depth of Demand
"Tesla began offering a leasing program for the Model S in 2014 and those vehicles, which typically sell new at $100,000, began hitting the used market in a noticeable way last year, said Seneca Giese, a former Tesla manager. Mr. Giese, who co-founded an online used-car retailer called Current Automotive that specializes in electric vehicles, said he’s found the sweet spot for selling a used Model S is around $45,000 to $50,000."

Chicago Tribune: First U.S. retailer to sell pre-owned electric and hybrid vehicles online is located in Naperville

Auto Remarketing: Chicagoland startup focuses on selling used EVs online

Google Images of Current Automotive HQ: Google Maps

Last edited:
Beware Current Automotive. They are dodgy as hell. They wanted me to give them my car, sign over my title and then they were going to send me a check in 2 weeks. I said no way and then they said if I paid off my car they would pay up front. So I paid off my auto loan but it took 3-4 weeks to get the title. So this guy Seneca Giese tells me he's dropping the price because the market changed. Meanwhile I'm $20,000 into this transaction so I tell him a deal is a deal. So then he ghosts me and won't return communication.

This is a dishonest company run by dishonest people. Avoid them.

Beware Current Automotive. They are dodgy as hell. They wanted me to give them my car, sign over my title and then they were going to send me a check in 2 weeks. I said no way and then they said if I paid off my car they would pay up front. So I paid off my auto loan but it took 3-4 weeks to get the title. So this guy Seneca Giese tells me he's dropping the price because the market changed. Meanwhile I'm $20,000 into this transaction so I tell him a deal is a deal. So then he ghosts me and won't return communication.

This is a dishonest company run by dishonest people. Avoid them.

Refer to my post here for more details - How do I sell a Model S?

• Informative
Reactions: X.l.r.8