Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could this be a Tesla Model X Event Rather than Apple?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No an event planner, so this is an incredulous question rather than refutation... do you really need to reserve the space for 10 days for a 1-day event?

That was exactly my thought. Apple doesn't need a week to introduce new hardware. For some context, Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC) is typically around 5 days, and that involves presentations of the wonky/technical/in-depth stuff that needs extra time.

200_s.gif

OK, but why reserve 10 days for a 3 hour announcement?

I don't think this is for the X reveal at all. If it were to be for the X reveal, it could be an easy way to do the media reveal and throw a big party. Invite reservation holders to come and do in person configurations. Bring store staff in to do deep dive sessions with the X. Planned over 10 days to get everyone familiar with the X into a central location.

Things are different than when Tesla did the S. They will be delivering 10X as many Xs in the first few months than they did Ss and they have 10X as many reservation holders waiting.

Things are different than when Tesla did the S. They will be delivering 10X as many Xs in the first few months than they did Ss and they have 10X as many reservation holders waiting.

Yes, things are different now. Unfortunately your estimates are a little off; there's no capacity to be 10x Model S production, back in the last weeks of Q3/2012 Tesla delivered 253 cars and in the first full quarter Q4/2012 they delivered 2,400 cars. With regards to reservations, Model X reservations are about double the equivalent number of Model S reservations one month prior to Founders launch in 2012.

You can see details of the numbers here.

If it's an Apple event my guess is that it's a Dr. Dre concert to promote Apple Music, the new iPhone, Beats, and his new album/movie. Could be two or three nights with different guests from the album showing up.

Yes, things are different now. Unfortunately your estimates are a little off; there's no capacity to be 10x Model S production, back in the last weeks of Q3/2012 Tesla delivered 253 cars and in the first full quarter Q4/2012 they delivered 2,400 cars. With regards to reservations, Model X reservations are about double the equivalent number of Model S reservations one month prior to Founders launch in 2012.

You can see details of the numbers here.

Ok you got me, numbers are off. 2X reservations and expected 4X production increase (using Q12016 and assuming X is to be delivered at a annual rate of 40-50k cars to hit Tesla projected deliver numbers).

The fact remains that Tesla may handle the X roll out very differently than the S roll out because they have a much higher production targets in 2016 than they did in 2013.

If it's an Apple event my guess is that it's a Dr. Dre concert to promote Apple Music, the new iPhone, Beats, and his new album/movie. Could be two or three nights with different guests from the album showing up.

That would be an utterly, utterly surreal experience.
I would pay good money to be backstage at a concert where Ice Cube, Eminem, Kendrick, and Xzibit had just performed for a room full of 7000 polo-shirt and chino clad silicon valley yuppies.

It's official, Apple is having an event on September 9th at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco. This lies within the Sept 4-13th reservation period, so it was likely Apple booking the whole section and they may later revise that booking to a smaller number of days. Or they may use the whole 9 days for prep and take-down.

What a huge venue for an iPhone announcement...