Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could this be Fraud?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new X P90D with 22" wheels. Fully charged it shows 253 miles. I live 2 miles from the freeway and it is 216 miles ALL HIGHWAY with a speed limit of 70 to my beachhouse from a elevation of 783 feet to a final elevation of sea level( so essentially slight downhill).

i was told at the Tesla Dealer that the car could go 250 miles. When I enter the addresses in the nav computer it says I cannot make that distance and I will have to stop at an SC (24 miles off route and 20 min charge time)

I'M PISSED! I WOULD HAVE UPGRADED TO A 100 BATTERY.

Thoughts?

Anyone think a complaint would merit a refund/upgrade possibility from Tesla?

View attachment 211905
I agree education at the purchase and or delivery could be better.

That said if your beach house route was so important you could do the following:
Change to 20 inch standard tires. This will give you 15% more range.
Keep the speed lower first, to say 65mph mad for the first part of your trip. 5mph doesn't make any big difference on arrival time, but makes a lot of difference on range.
Then set your destination on your nav and turn on trip planner page. It will show whether you will be able to reach the destination without charging. If you still can't make it or cutting too close, give up and stop at the Supercharger. If you seem to get there with a margin, you can speed up by 5mph a time and see how the prediction changes.

It seems you are in South Carolina - if it is cold range will be affected by as much as 30%. If it's not cold I think your trip is doable with careful drive at 65mph. Not sure if it's safe to drive at 65.

For a techie that was meticulously tracking my leaf battery with an OBDII scanner before buying a Tesla, I was stumped by the range of my Model X as well. Heater appears to consume way too much power than one would imagine. My daily commutes in Seattle winter weather (mid 30s to mid 40s) averaged 160 miles out of my 90D with 20" wheels. All I can attribute that to is the heater. My trip meter routinely shows 450 to 500 wh/mile. I even reported this to the service center and they said my car was doing pretty good compared to the fleet. What really surprised me was how few people seemed to be bothered by that.
Having driven Leaf for 2 years prior I knew winter weather usually takes 10% out. But my X gives me < 70% of rated range - so yes I am pretty upset about that eventhough I will buy the Model X all over again if I have to.

I agree education at the purchase and or delivery could be better.

That said if your beach house route was so important you could do the following:
Change to 20 inch standard tires. This will give you 15% more range.
Keep the speed lower first, to say 65mph mad for the first part of your trip. 5mph doesn't make any big difference on arrival time, but makes a lot of difference on range.
Then set your destination on your nav and turn on trip planner page. It will show whether you will be able to reach the destination without charging. If you still can't make it or cutting too close, give up and stop at the Supercharger. If you seem to get there with a margin, you can speed up by 5mph a time and see how the prediction changes.

It seems you are in South Carolina - if it is cold range will be affected by as much as 30%. If it's not cold I think your trip is doable with careful drive at 65mph. Not sure if it's safe to drive at 65.

Yep. I would add...
With the trip planner you can remove the supercharger, then use the energy graph to see how negative you will be when arriving.
Also make sure to preheat the car to save on car heating and preheat the battery.
Then watch the energy graph prediction as you start to drive... If you stick to 60mph with 20" wheels then it will quickly rise to +5% predicted at arrival (just keep the graph on your screen). Then gradually raise your speed to keep the prediction between 5 and 10 percent. You will get to your beach house with about 15 miles remaining.
If you are halfway there and the prediction have risen to 5% then detour to the supercharger.

Ultimately you will be driving most of the way to the beach at 70, especially in summer.
You will get used to it, but still wish you had the 100kwh battery.

Reactions: hiroshiy