Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could You Drive A Model X Under Water?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TheTalkingMule

Distributed Energy Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Discussing the potential of an electric Wrangler down the road and people are worried that batteries and motors can't be driven through the mud like a Jeep. The battery packs are sealed and liquid cooled, so that's no big deal. Could the drive-train be sealed enough to drive submerged? All computer issues aside....is it theoretically feasible?

Edit: AAAAAnnnd I posted this in the S forum. Whoops!

Theoretically, the Tesla drivetrain and any electric drivetrain would work fine underwater. But making every component seal under water pressure costs money (waterproof watches cost more than water resistant watches, for instance). So it won't happen with the Tesla.

But theoretically, it's certainly possible. After all, these guys have electric drivetrains:
image.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

And to be clear, I don't mean in anything close to stock condition. Could design be easily modified for this purpose?

Could it be modified? Yes.

Easily? No.

Theoretically is one thing, but I've been wondering about actually launching a boat :eek: Some ramps are quite steep & the rear tires barely get wet. A more shallow slope requires getting way back in there before the boat floats off of the trailer. The rear motor would spend a little time around or beneath the water line, I think(?) I'll try it out & let you know.

Discussing the potential of an electric Wrangler down the road and people are worried that batteries and motors can't be driven through the mud like a Jeep. The battery packs are sealed and liquid cooled, so that's no big deal. Could the drive-train be sealed enough to drive submerged? All computer issues aside....is it theoretically feasible?

Edit: AAAAAnnnd I posted this in the S forum. Whoops!

Don't know about the X, but the S can :tongue:

tesla-model-s-james-bond.jpg

Theoretically is one thing, but I've been wondering about actually launching a boat :eek: Some ramps are quite steep & the rear tires barely get wet. A more shallow slope requires getting way back in there before the boat floats off of the trailer. The rear motor would spend a little time around or beneath the water line, I think(?) I'll try it out & let you know.

I have launched boats many times with various vehicles; I never had to get the whole back end of the car/truck submerged. You should be able to launch & retrieve a boat with a Model X without getting rear motor wet (otherwise you are really doing something wrong).
I have la

If you somehow manage to seal all components, you'll run into potential heat dispensation issues, but even worse, you'll be messing with the safety of your vehicle, as there are vents in the battery pack to help control thermal events.

But I think it's probably only a concern with long term submersion and/or high pressure situations.

There are videos of the Nissan LEAF driving through some deep standing water, without any issues, so the idea itself isn't far-fetched.

Last edited by a moderator: