TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Could You Drive A Model X Under Water?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by TheTalkingMule, Mar 10, 2016.

1. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Active Member

Discussing the potential of an electric Wrangler down the road and people are worried that batteries and motors can't be driven through the mud like a Jeep. The battery packs are sealed and liquid cooled, so that's no big deal. Could the drive-train be sealed enough to drive submerged? All computer issues aside....is it theoretically feasible?

Edit: AAAAAnnnd I posted this in the S forum. Whoops!

2. chargeshare

chargeshare Member

3. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

Why would you want to.

4. TheTalkingMule

And to be clear, I don't mean in anything close to stock condition. Could design be easily modified for this purpose?

5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Theoretically, the Tesla drivetrain and any electric drivetrain would work fine underwater. But making every component seal under water pressure costs money (waterproof watches cost more than water resistant watches, for instance). So it won't happen with the Tesla.

But theoretically, it's certainly possible. After all, these guys have electric drivetrains:
    image.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Could it be modified? Yes.

Easily? No.

6. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Theoretically is one thing, but I've been wondering about actually launching a boat :eek: Some ramps are quite steep & the rear tires barely get wet. A more shallow slope requires getting way back in there before the boat floats off of the trailer. The rear motor would spend a little time around or beneath the water line, I think(?) I'll try it out & let you know.

7. Drivin

Drivin Member

Not practical.
    The wipers would be working so hard that the battery would discharge too quickly.

8. sorka

sorka Active Member

Don't know about the X, but the S can :tongue:

tesla-model-s-james-bond.jpg

9. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Kids in adult bodies, again?

10. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

I have launched boats many times with various vehicles; I never had to get the whole back end of the car/truck submerged. You should be able to launch & retrieve a boat with a Model X without getting rear motor wet (otherwise you are really doing something wrong).
    I have la

11. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

12. EVenthusiast

EVenthusiast Member

#12 EVenthusiast, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    If you somehow manage to seal all components, you'll run into potential heat dispensation issues, but even worse, you'll be messing with the safety of your vehicle, as there are vents in the battery pack to help control thermal events.

But I think it's probably only a concern with long term submersion and/or high pressure situations.

There are videos of the Nissan LEAF driving through some deep standing water, without any issues, so the idea itself isn't far-fetched.

13. TheTalkingMule

Interesting. Never saw that Leaf testing before, thanks!

I'm just anxious for SOMEONE to get moving on replacing the old two door Wrangler with an EV. 2022 Model J?

14. BryanJ

BryanJ Member

A better question is how would the X drive through long, deep puddles. Here in South Florida, street flooding occurs frequently. Going through these has caused damage to my previous SUVs.