Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couldn’t wake the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back before they redid the app last year it would hardly ever wake my S without having to kill the app and restart it. The new version is much better - even more so with my 3 - but still times out sometimes. I find if I kill the app and restart it always works the second time.
App communicates with S and 3 differently. S is complex, requires App to connect to Internet and car connected with internet. 3 uses Bluetooth, neither needs internet connection.

I spent the weekend with the 3 at my cabin which is outside of cell phone coverage. Even though the app can't connect to the car, and it won't update, etc., it still lets you do whatever an S fob can do, such as unlocking and popping the trunk or frunk. It's really too bad it can't do more unless the car is connected but once it can connect to wifi it will be much better.
No, we’ve been connecting to the Model S with the phone app since 2012. This is different from using it as a key. Sometimes it takes longer to wake up. The Model S and X have an “always connected” option which can speed up the process, at the expense of slightly higher vampire drain. The Model 3 does not have this check box— I don’t know if that means always connected is on for everyone, or off for everyone.
See above

App communicates with S and 3 differently. S is complex, requires App to connect to Internet and car connected with internet. 3 uses Bluetooth, neither needs internet connection.
You’re misunderstanding what this thread is about. The OP said he tried to use app to connect to his Model 3 with WiFi and LTE, to check climate control, and the car wouldn’t wake up. This is identical to how the app is used for Model S and X. Bluetooth is used when phone is being used as a key, and is not relevant to this situation.

Reactions: Boourns
You’re misunderstanding what this thread is about. The OP said he tried to use app to connect to his Model 3 with WiFi and LTE, to check climate control, and the car wouldn’t wake up. This is identical to how the app is used for Model S and X. Bluetooth is used when phone is being used as a key, and is not relevant to this situation.
OK, reading too fast!:p
Carry on, I'm off thread!

Having a 50 page thread about an issue doesn't necessarily mean that the issue is widespread. It just means that there is a lot of discussion about said issue.

For some of us (me included thankfully) the phone has work flawlessly as a key.
It's worked flawlessly of you SO FAR. It won't always. There is another thread with a poll where near half of owners had experienced some difficulty with the phone key. That is an extremely high failure rate. If this system was OPTIONAL, that would be fine, but getting rid of a reliable system to MANDATE an unreliable one (phone key) or inferior one (key card) is stupid.

No. The key works. I can get in and drive away. When I wake up and open the app it won’t wake the car so that I can check the charge level or turn on the AC, or open the charge port. Last night I was sitting it and both the car and the phone had internet. The key worked. The app didn’t.

The phone has two roles. One is the key which works. You don’t need the app open for it to work. The other is the app itself on the phone. It doesn’t work so well.

It's worked flawlessly of you SO FAR. It won't always. There is another thread with a poll where near half of owners had experienced some difficulty with the phone key. That is an extremely high failure rate. If this system was OPTIONAL, that would be fine, but getting rid of a reliable system to MANDATE an unreliable one (phone key) or inferior one (key card) is stupid.

I have confident that you don't know what you're talking about so I am not concern that I will start getting issues.

Your assessment that it's an extremely high failure rate based on a poll on a forum is your opinion and not based on any facts. You don't understand how the internet works if you rely on forum poll results for your information.

I love the feature. It's great walking up to the car and it automatically unlocks and it's also great that it automatically locks when I walk away. I like not having to carry around an extra key fob.

I have confident that you don't know what you're talking about so I am not concern that I will start getting issues.

Your assessment that it's an extremely high failure rate based on a poll on a forum is your opinion and not based on any facts. You don't understand how the internet works if you rely on forum poll results for your information.

I love the feature. It's great walking up to the car and it automatically unlocks and it's also great that it automatically locks when I walk away. I like not having to carry around an extra key fob.
It's about priorities. To me, having a totally reliable way to enter and activate my car is more valuable than having my pockets be 3grams lighter. Some people don't mind troubleshooting malfunctioning technology and always need the newest gadgets. For them, the phone key is perfect. For everyone else, tesla should provide a fob.

• Love
Reactions: daniel
Do you even own one? You don’t know what you’re talking about. It’s like we’re all talking Baseball and you’re talking hockey except you don’t know it.

The phone as a key works. Great. All the time for me. Never had an issue. The app which is NOT the key, but controls things like climate and charging doesn’t work all the time. In every case I can always drive away in the thing.

You either know this and are just being a meatball or you’re proving, quickly I might add, that IQs can in fact go negative.

Last edited:
Do you even own one? You don’t know what you’re talking about. It’s like we’re all talking Baseball and you’re talking hockey except you don’t know it.

The phone as a key works. Great. All the time for me. Never had an issue. The app which is NOT the key, but controls things like climate and charging doesn’t work all the time. In every case I can always drive away in the thing.

You either know this and are just being a meatball or you’re proving, quickly I might add, that IQs can in fact go negative.

I cannot answer for slipnslider, but speaking for myself, I've owned my Model 3 for about 3 months, and the phone key works most of the time. This is unacceptable. The key fob for my Prius works all of the time. I've had the Model 3 fail to open using the phone key, and other times I've had it open but refuse to drive. I've had it demand the key card to drive, and I've had it just refuse to go into gear until on my own, without any message from the car, I decided to tap the key card on the center console.

Plenty of owners here have reported that the phone key does not always work. Of the people who've chimed in on the subject, those who say it's always worked are in the minority.

This is an absolutely wonder, fabulous car. But the phone key idea is a FAIL.

It's about priorities. To me, having a totally reliable way to enter and activate my car is more valuable than having my pockets be 3grams lighter. Some people don't mind troubleshooting malfunctioning technology and always need the newest gadgets. For them, the phone key is perfect. For everyone else, tesla should provide a fob.
I agree that any implemented technology should be reliable. Hopefully it was just an issue with early production cars and they've solved it and/or it can be solved through a software update.

I agree that any implemented technology should be reliable. Hopefully it was just an issue with early production cars and they've solved it and/or it can be solved through a software update.
I wish I shared your optimism, but a lifetime of interacting with technology has taught me that the more complicated a system is, the less reliable it is. Especially when you're trying to get hardware from 2 different manufacturers to work together. Even if tesla gets everything working reliably (big IF) , they're just one phone OS update away from it malfunctioning again. Fobs were static, and wouldn't have required tesla to always keep fixing things introduced by updates on the key side.

Reactions: daniel
I wish I shared your optimism, but a lifetime of interacting with technology has taught me that the more complicated a system is, the less reliable it is. Especially when you're trying to get hardware from 2 different manufacturers to work together. Even if tesla gets everything working reliably (big IF) , they're just one phone OS update away from it malfunctioning again. Fobs were static, and wouldn't have required tesla to always keep fixing things introduced by updates on the key side.
I agree that offering a key fob option is something Tesla should do. Maybe they will if enough people tweet Elon about it.