Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couldn't charge because main screen crashed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning, I found my S not charging. The ring around the charge port was blue. I tried re plugging in the UMC, but got the same blue light for 30 seconds. I usually only see blue for a quick second if not less. I had to go to work, so I dismissed it and jumped into the car. I then noticed that the 17" screen was blank and the driver's lcd said "pelase wait for main screen to initialize" or something like that. It took the car ~2 minutes to boot up. I couldn't get into Drive until the screen booted up either. So, I think the reason the charge port stayed blue was because the main screen crashed.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm on 4.3. Later night, I'll have to test this out some more to see if my UMC is bad (I saw one green led on the UMC when I was playing around w/ the charge port).

Last edited:
I'll have to test this out some more to see if my UMC is bad (I saw one green led on the UMC when I was playing around w/ the charge port).

I had my UMC replaced today. See this thread. All I got was the light blue ring on the charge port and it wouldn't go green. The UMC itself always showed one green LED, which is "normal". There seems to be a bunch of bad UMCs out there. I did not, however, have any issues with my screens crashing.

Happened again today. But at work. Previously, I was at home.

The service center gave me the shop UMC cable to try out for a few days. If the shop cable works fine, then possibly a new UMC. If the shop cable has issues, then they'll need to study the car.

Symptoms and fix the 2nd time:
* Noticed that charging had stopped
* Charge port circle was BLUE
* touchscreen was not on.
* To start the car, I had to wait for the touchscreen to start up. But, it didn't start up till I reset it manually by holding down the two jog dials.
* Service center said that the inactive touch screen is reminiscent of the car going to sleep. I've never had v4.1. Car was delivered with v4.2 and has had 4.3 for 3 weeks now.

Last edited: