Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Council Bluffs, IA, to Independence, MO SupC, Part II, CHAdeMO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have written in this part of the forum before about my (difficult) adventures in driving from Omaha to KC and back because of the distance between SupCs if the conditions are anything but ideal. I cannot make it without, previously, L2 (so slow) charging. So...
I ordered a CHAdeMO adapter and got it last Thursday, the day before the trip. Only problem was that they sent me the wrong one, one for EU (it said on the box, which probably means Europe or European Union model) and it did not fit. After a few phone calls, I found that there was a CHAdeMO adapter (which I'll refer to as CA from now on) at the Service Center in KC and they would gladly trade me. So...
The trip down was without CHAdeMO and we made it without L2 charging, as usual, but it was tight, with only a few percentage charge left by the time we got to the SupC in Independence, and we had to drive 65 and 60 mph for a good portion of the trip. 199 miles it is between those two SupCs. Range Mode was on this time (I had forgot about that on previous trips). I guess there are just enough hills and it was cold enough (30s). I have, in ideal conditions, driven 262 miles with 10 miles to spare going the other direction, up to SD, so I know my 85D can do it when the conditions are right. So...
I swapped the CAs, the EU one for one that will work here in the States. We went to the plaza and I charged up there, learning by plugging in the first time to CHAdeMO. Everything worked fine, charged while shopping/eating. Dropped my adult child and spouse off at their home on the way out of town. We stopped and charged up to 95% at the north KC station that has CHAdeMO, then did the same at the one in St. Joe (both are at HyVees). We drove between 70 and 75 the whole way, 72 most of the time, and I got home with 18% left! And there was so much less time charging at fast stations (L3, CHAdeMO) rather than the slow ones we have had to use in the past (L2). We did not have to stop at both stations, but I wanted to find them and then, in using them, get them on the Model S map.
And I think this is how I will do the trip from now on: go from home to CB SupC to top off and then to north KC CHAdeMO to fill, then to my son's place, with energy to spare. Grab some energy when we are out and about if we can, but I won't need to go southeast 20 mi and back to go to the SupC. Then go to St. Joe L3 on the way home, charge up, drive all the way home. Given the difficult time we had in sleet/rain/cold/wind coming home last time, we save four hours.
My reticence to get the CA was its cost and I didn't think it was much faster than L2. But with my son's persistence in considering it, in finding out that L3 is fast, direct charging, and that there are two L3 stations on the way, this has turned in to the very best way to do the trip. I am very glad I got the adapter: I can drive the speed limit again! I don't have to stop as much and when I do I don't have to wait as long. In summary, if there are CHAdeMO stations between distant SupCs, a CA can be a time saver and make a trip much more enjoyable.

Thanks for your report. I am very interested in the capabilities of a Tesla from KC to Sioux City, IA (actually a little farther north). I started doing EV route planning and besides the SC Hyvee's along the way seem to be doable as they have some charging stations that would benefit my potential routes. If there was a St. Joe SC and a Sioux City SC that would make things seem easier to plan.

The St. Joe HyVee charge is Level 3 (L3) and almost as fast as a SupC. I'll have to look and see if there are any CHAdeMOs in Sioux City...

Last I looked there are none in Sioux City, IA. There so prevalent around Kansas City only because the Power Company supplied them as a move to "Green". We normally Charge to about 200 miles at the St. Joe CHAdeMO and make it home just fine doing 75mph. When the battery is half charged there isn't much difference between a CHAdeMO and a Supercharger. The Superchargers shine when the battery is low and will charge at least twice as fast as a CHAdeMO station until it gets to half charged then their speed is very similar due to the taper. Word of advice though do not count on the CHAdeMO station to always be working. This last trip we made was litterally the first time we got to try it because it had been down for awhile. Plugshare is a good app to have to check the condition of the station. It's based on reviews left from people who charged there before so if possible leave a check-in on the app to let others know it is working. Saved us a few times when it was down.

Glad to hear that the St. Joe's L3 is working. Did you log it in PlugShare?

I drove there from KC in my LEAF only to find it wasn't working. I ended up at the Nissan dealer while we spent time at the Pony Express museum (our original plan anyway).

I used my CHAdeMO adapter for the trip from KC to Branson. There's a HyVee in Lee's Summit on the southern end of the KC area.

At least in the KC area, it comes in quite handy and was worth the money to me.

-Karl

Yes, KC seems very progressive with CHAdeMO. I think there is one in Nebraska, but that doesn't include some at Nissan dealers. Someday I'll stop by my Nissan dealer and see if I can use it just to do it.

And I did add comments to Plugshare about successful usage on Jan 2, 2016 for both stations (N KC and St Joe).

Last edited:
Yes, KC seems very progressive with CHAdeMO. I think there is one in Nebraska, but that doesn't include some at Nissan dealers. Someday I'll stop by my Nissan dealer and see if I can use it just to do it.

And I did add comments to Plugshare about successful usage on Jan 2, 2016 for both stations (N KC and St Joe).

If it's the one in Norfolk, Nebraska I'd call before driving all the way up there to use it. It's unfortunately more common than it should be for those stations to be down. It's been a couple years since I've been to Norfolk but I do remember the dealership and it's a small one. I couldn't imagine where they'd have the CHAdeMO installed at.

John, which STL CHAdeMO stations did you find the most useful? We pass through the I-70 corridor from KC on the way to Pittsburgh, PA occasionally. Last time through, we got 100% at Columbia, MO (ate at the Holiday Inn...they give discounts to Tesla drivers!), only snagged a few kWh at St. Charles, then made it to Effingham where we slept at got to 100%.