Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Countdown Timer to October 17 and --- Autopilot 2.0???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well what do you think Elon means then?
I don't know. I'm the first to be hoping for AP2.0. If it comes out, I'm in. Otherwise I'm getting a civic or similar and save some cash. My 330ci is dying on me.

Perhaps it's still AP2.0 and there just not ready to ship anything. An announcement would dry up orders in an instant.

But I do feel like they need AP2.0 to keep sales if Model S rolling. Could be a big letdown in q4 after last hot quarter if they can't get some of the folks on the sideline buying.

...hoping for AP2.0. If it comes out, I'm in. Otherwise I'm getting a civic ...
But I do feel like they need AP2.0 to keep sales if Model S rolling. Could be a big letdown in q4 after last hot quarter if they can't get some of the folks on the sideline buying.

If you need AP 2.0 or you're buying a Honda Civic then why you hanging around us for the last two years and have almost 700 posts? :p

I agree with your theory on a q4 letdown being something Elon wants to avoid. I would not be at all surprised if he has horsewhipped his team to speed up AP 2.0's release as much as humanly possible.

Reactions: davidc18
AP 2.0 itself (if that's indeed what it will be) isn't what needs two more days for any refinement, but what's announced in the press release may need this extra time (e.g., running the details past the lawyers).

Press staff and lawyers have been standing by since the beginning of time. AP 2.0 and Tesla Vision are bleeding edge artificial intelligence applications. From Elon's hints earlier this year it seemed that AP 2.0 was planned to drop originally when the Model 3 Part II reveal was scheduled for the end of the year. Then there was the fatality, a huge amount of bad press, and more bad press re the Solar City merger.

I think it's quite possible the autopilot dev team is being pushed to/beyond their human limits to speed up this release and they very well might be doing more neural network training and other software development up until the very last second to get a workable demo out.

If you need AP 2.0 or you're buying a Honda Civic then why you hanging around us for the last two years and have almost 700 posts? :p

I agree with your theory on a q4 letdown being something Elon wants to avoid. I would not be at all surprised if he has horsewhipped his team to speed up AP 2.0's release as much as humanly possible.

Rasons I'm here -

1. I'm in for a Model 3 regardless. Hooked :). As you pointed out.

2. If I go with an S, want to buy on a "new thing." Missed my opportunity when AP came out.

3. I have a side garage that requires pulling past and backing in. With a very narrow apron. Hoping AP2.0 has birdseye view!!! It's tight getting in a 330ci.

Finally, I'm a run cars forever type of person. Have 140k+ miles in all the cars. One is finally throwing in the towel - transmission that just isn't worth fixing.

I can justify a civic (or similar) short term as I have a kid hitting driving age in 2-3 years and it would be a good car for her. She isn't getting a BMW convertible nor a model 3, no matter what she thinks.

Reactions: calisnow
... what needs two more days for any refinement

I don't think any announcement that doesn't gather journalists for a Viewing needs refinement. So my guess is that this was always planned for 19th, deliberately announced for 17th, deliberately delayed, so that next time they have a real need to delay no-one is surprised. "Elon Standard Time" and all that.

If Apple pulled a mega-launch the world would gasp. From what I have read of Apple's early launches it was only Midas Touch that got them through the day ... so perhaps Elon delaying all launches / announcements is Strategy, rather than Tactics ...

Reactions: davidc18

I don't know but I was in the same position as him. After Hundreds of post about the model s I ended up leasing a volt.

I will likely regret my decision if the announcement is AP20 related. But I suspect it won't be.

Pushed until Wednesday. Elon Tweet just now: Elon Musk on Twitter
Oh, boooo! But I guess a slip in schedule is, well, you know...

Coincidentally I have a Fremont factory tour booked for later today, the 17th.
I was hoping I'd catch a glimpse of some wiz-bang new factory robot, a preview of the promised "alien dreadnought"

Either that or an announcement that they've finally got the deep blue metallic touch up paint available to purchase ;)

Reactions: kevinf311
My wild, unsubstantiated theory is that it's an announcement of something that is an upgrade to cars that are being produced now (like AP was back in the day), and that they realized that not all the un-upgraded cars have been delivered to end customers yet, so they are delaying until mid week to get them out of the pipeline.