Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Countdown Timer to October 17 and --- Autopilot 2.0???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the thought that the delay is so that the Line can be fitting whatever is going to be in the announcement from that point onwards - such as extra hardware for AP2. Tough if your get a car made on Tuesday!

They'd be nuts to add AP2 starting Tuesday and tell everyone. They'd have 1,000+ cars in the delivery queue that anyone could just walk away from for $2,500, which many would do for a change like that. If it's AP2, they've been fitting it for at least 2 weeks.

EM did say it is unexpected, and product-related. So I'm going with:

1. Now that Fisker is dead, Tesla is teaming up with Bob Lutz to sell V8 conversions of the Model S.
OR
2. AutoPilot will now flip a coin every 2 minutes to decide whether to stay in the lane or veer off of it to match the driver assist systems from other manufacturers that aren't getting anywhere near as much scrutiny or criticism
OR
3. Tesla is licensing the term "Drive Pilot" from Mercedes as the German Transport Minister says Autopilot is misleading (but, presumably, has no problem with "Drive Pilot").

I don't see how it can be AP2. Elon is ultra nerd and he used the term that most are not expecting this. But almost everyone on the forum expects AP2, therefore it cannot be AP2. Something unexpected means something we probably never really thought about. A new product unrelated to current cars.

Reactions: Canuck
I am thinking that if I was to open a previously proprietary system to all electric car owners of the world, I would definately make a big show of it. And add in that the SC network will be tripled or quadrupled in capacity at the same time

That could be percieved as a negative thing, Tesla wouldn't advertise something negative with a hyped up event. I don't think at least.

Volkswagen must spend 2 billion dollars on new infrastructure for zero emission cars as part of its settlement in the US. A partnership with Tesla and extension of the supersharging network would be a likely place to spend some or most of this money.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...o-approve-vw-emissions-settlement-with-owners

Volkswagen Emissions Deal Could Wreck Market for Charging Electric Cars, Critic Says

Personally, I think anything to do with AP 2.0, Model 3, or automated charging (better yet, an automated Supercharger queuing app) - these are things that are expected to have some kind of announcement soon. I would be disappointed if it had to do with a larger colour palette as it's not significant enough in my book (although welcome if they actually had a wider range). A HUD would be good, a significant breakthrough in battery technology or an announcement of another vehicle would be even better. I really would like to hear something where other car companies would buy in on Tesla's infrastructure as opposed to developing yet another version for no other reason than ego (Audi,BMW and others) New ‘ultra-fast 350 kW charging stations’ for EVs to be deployed in Europe in partnership with Audi, BMW and others).