TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Coupé utility

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by S-2000 Roadster, Aug 8, 2011.

1. S-2000 Roadster

Personally, I think this discussion is worthy of its own thread. Either that, or I apologize for getting off-topic under "Next Gen Tesla Sportscar" since a utility/delivery vehicle is hardly a sports car.

Ah, yes, the El Camino.
    ... with a cover for the bed (I'm sure I've seen those, too) and a shorter engine compartment to reduce weight. Front wheel drive with transverse motor should require very little room, and cooling the motor might be easier. It would need the extreme low profile of the Roadster (and it would have to look equally sexy). The El Camino is lower than a pickup truck, but I think it could have an even lower drag area. If only I could draw!

P.S. I'd never heard of the Ford Ranchero before today, but that fits the bill about as well. In my day, "El Camino" was the generic term for any vehicle of this configuration. I guess Chevy won the Kleenex award in this category.

2. 7racer

7racer Member

3. S-2000 Roadster

No, not at all. (but that's an educational link, thanks!)
    Imagine El Camino with a windowless shell / bed cover.

P.S. The front of the Roadster is much smaller than the front of a Ranchero, but I wonder if a front-engine revision of the Roadster front end would need to be larger. The motor and PEM are not small! Maybe it would have to be almost as large as the Ranchero.

4. jcstp

jcstp Active Member