Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couple of questions about the Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Friends,

We just got our PTO today! We only have the Panels, no Powewall... Can you guys please answer some questions about the app for us?:

1. See screen shot... In the YouTube video I have seen the Powerflow shows power going to the grid and shows the power coming in from the panels... For us, it only shows what the panels did... No usage, no grid. Is this normal? If not, how do we fix this?

2. Has anyone added their car account to their Solar account so the car person can use the app too? Sorry if this makes little sense... We had a car account, made a referral for the Solar order... Now wondering if my car account can get invited to the Solar account and still get credit for referrals. If so, can you guys help us?

Note: We turned on our system about 4 hours ago. Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG-20201118-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20201118-WA0002.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 77
For #1 check out Tesla app showing ~double my home kW usage. Not the exact same symptoms but I'm guessing its the same problem.

tl;dr is that there should be what are called CTs ("current transformers") that measure the power flow from your solar and to/from the grid. CTs look like donut-style clamps that wrap around those respective cables from your solar and to the grid. Supposedly the Tesla app calculates the home usage based on the difference in those numbers. If those CTs are missing, improperly installed, or misconfigured you'll see missing or wrong data in the app. I suspect you'll have to reach out to Tesla to see what's wrong.

If it's not that its possible it's just a data lag issue or site configuration issue on Tesla's end causing the data to not show in your app.

Seems like a lot of installs have the CTs messed up. My install (non-Tesla installer) confgured them correctly at first. System worked perfectly for ~1 month. Then during inspection (which took a month to get), they had to change something and messed them up.

How hard can this be? Especially for crews that have done multiple installs

Seems like a lot of installs have the CTs messed up. My install (non-Tesla installer) confgured them correctly at first. System worked perfectly for ~1 month. Then during inspection (which took a month to get), they had to change something and messed them up.

How hard can this be? Especially for crews that have done multiple installs

Right? It's not like they have a big ass sticker saying which side is which.

upload_2020-11-18_17-59-11.png

Oh wait, they do... :)

The flows not showing is normally a missing powerblaster, I think. I dont think this particular symptom is mis configured CTs. Whether tesla puts in a power blaster or not seems to depend on whether there is room in the panel for it, and location.

Without the power blaster, you will only see production of solar, not power flows.

Your account should be one account, so I am not sure what mean by the car account or solar account. When you signed up for solar, did you not use the same account you use for the car? If so, it should be the same referral code for both, I think.

I originally thought you were asking to add an additional user to your account, so more than one person could access the solar on their own tesla account, but that doesnt seem like what you are asking for.

Thanks guys for your responses. Thanks to reading on this forum, we confirmed before install if we were getting the PowerBlaster. And our project manager confirmed it, barnone. Can someone confirm if this is a lack of PowerBlaster reason and why wouldn't they have given us one?

My other question was simply if another email address could be added to the Solar account to monitor it from a different phone ala my wife's account or such?

Thanks guys for your responses. Thanks to reading on this forum, we confirmed before install if we were getting the PowerBlaster. And our project manager confirmed it, barnone. Can someone confirm if this is a lack of PowerBlaster reason and why wouldn't they have given us one?

My other question was simply if another email address could be added to the Solar account to monitor it from a different phone ala my wife's account or such?

The powerblaster (if installed) sometimes has to be activated on teslas end, so if they told you that you were getting one, you probably have it and just need to call tesla energy to have them sync it to your account. If you dont have the number for tesla energy support (not the same as your advisor, post install support is a different number),let us know and one of us can post one of the numbers we have for that again for you.

On your other question, if thats what you ment, yes you can have the solar account added to another tesla account. I had it (solar + powerwalls) added to my wifes tesla account so that she can see it from her tesla account, and I dont need to log into my account on her phone for her to see it. If I remember correctly I asked tesla energy about that as well.

The powerblaster (if installed) sometimes has to be activated on teslas end, so if they told you that you were getting one, you probably have it and just need to call tesla energy to have them sync it to your account. If you dont have the number for tesla energy support (not the same as your advisor, post install support is a different number),let us know and one of us can post one of the numbers we have for that again for you.

On your other question, if thats what you ment, yes you can have the solar account added to another tesla account. I had it (solar + powerwalls) added to my wifes tesla account so that she can see it from her tesla account, and I dont need to log into my account on her phone for her to see it. If I remember correctly I asked tesla energy about that as well.
Thanks friend... Yes, if you can post the number, I'd appreciate it... I assume the app support won't get me to a person who could help us?

Also what number to call to add the Solar account to my car account?

Thanks again!

The number I have for Tesla Energy Support is 877-961-7652. I believe what you want to ask for, (beside getting the power blaster linked to your account if its not active already, which it sounds like its not) is:

"I would like to have my solar information available on an additional tesla account". You might confuse them if you call it a "car account" since there isnt such a thing (although I know why you are saying that). Its one tesla account, that is different from your main tesla account (like a spouse or something) that only has the entitlements on it for your vehicle.

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to prevent the tesla energy support person from getting confused. Just tell them you want your solar available on your (insert significant other's) tesla account, and the email for that account is XXXXXXX.

• Informative
Reactions: Fragger
The number I have for Tesla Energy Support is 877-961-7652. I believe what you want to ask for, (beside getting the power blaster linked to your account if its not active already, which it sounds like its not) is:

"I would like to have my solar information available on an additional tesla account". You might confuse them if you call it a "car account" since there isnt such a thing (although I know why you are saying that). Its one tesla account, that is different from your main tesla account (like a spouse or something) that only has the entitlements on it for your vehicle.

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to prevent the tesla energy support person from getting confused. Just tell them you want your solar available on your (insert significant other's) tesla account, and the email for that account is XXXXXXX.
Thank you! Very helpful!

Bonus question: Do you now if this will mess with my referral payout?

Thank you! Very helpful!

Bonus question: Do you now if this will mess with my referral payout?

I dont know... I didnt remember to self refer myself for my powerwalls when I did it, so dont have any experience with that. In general, however, tesla can sometimes mess up stuff like that, so I would wait until I got the referral money if it were me.

I dont know... I didnt remember to self refer myself for my powerwalls when I did it, so dont have any experience with that. In general, however, tesla can sometimes mess up stuff like that, so I would wait until I got the referral money if it were me.
Makes sense... On the original topic, one of my installation engineers emailed me back saying they didn't install the "consumption meter" on our property and he doesn't know the policy for why...

Is he referring to the PowerBlaster? If so, do you guys think I have a shot at correcting this since my advisor clearly told me were getting it?

I called the toll free Customer Service number and they were very helpful in making the change on the spot. I then, received an email two weeks later from my advisor telling me combining accounts could not be done until about a month after PTO. I’ve always heard the toll free CS reps are less helpful. Not in our case.

Makes sense... On the original topic, one of my installation engineers emailed me back saying they didn't install the "consumption meter" on our property and he doesn't know the policy for why...

Is he referring to the PowerBlaster? If so, do you guys think I have a shot at correcting this since my advisor clearly told me were getting it?

The power blaster is the thing that measures consumption, so its reasonable for that to be referred to as the "consumption meter" by a customer service representative. If they didnt install it, there is usually a reason why (like lack of space). You can push for it, since they told you that you were getting it, but I havent heard anyone here have much luck getting one installed when it was not installed on install day.

Definitely ask for it though, and let us know how it comes out. Would love to read about a different outcome.