Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couple of Questions from a New Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings all,

I bought #693 (a Glacier Blue 2.0) from a good friend. I have borrowed the car for extended periods of time in the past so my garage was already set up to charge it and I'm pretty familiar with the car. A/C works great even in Los Angeles summer weather. Condition overall is basically perfect. Well cared-for and low miles.

I'm glad to have found this forum as it is very active and people here really know their stuff.

I have some questions I hope some of you have thoughts on...

I was wondering if any of the seven Service Centers in the greater LA area are better than any others, particularly with respect to Roadster maintenance. I heard mention about how some SC's have "Roadster experts" which suggests that some don't.

I read in another thread something about an HID headlight upgrade from Tesla. Is that the best headlight upgrade compared to the aftermarket LED headlights? Also, what do people do about the moisture that can accumulate inside the headlight covers?

I might want to upgrade the stereo head unit at some point, going from the factory single DIN to a double DIN. What upgrades are popular for head units?

Thanks, and any other tips you think I should have would also be appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: Shawn Snider
Greetings all,

I bought #693 (a Glacier Blue 2.0) from a good friend. I have borrowed the car for extended periods of time in the past so my garage was already set up to charge it and I'm pretty familiar with the car. A/C works great even in Los Angeles summer weather. Condition overall is basically perfect. Well cared-for and low miles.

I'm glad to have found this forum as it is very active and people here really know their stuff.

I have some questions I hope some of you have thoughts on...

I was wondering if any of the seven Service Centers in the greater LA area are better than any others, particularly with respect to Roadster maintenance. I heard mention about how some SC's have "Roadster experts" which suggests that some don't.

I read in another thread something about an HID headlight upgrade from Tesla. Is that the best headlight upgrade compared to the aftermarket LED headlights? Also, what do people do about the moisture that can accumulate inside the headlight covers?

I might want to upgrade the stereo head unit at some point, going from the factory single DIN to a double DIN. What upgrades are popular for head units?

Thanks, and any other tips you think I should have would also be appreciated.

Welcome to the club, @rudholm! And nice to add another Roadster owner to SoCal's ranks! Pls post some photos when you get a chance!

As far as SCs are concerned, Torrance... period. Ask for Anthony.

2560 W. 237th St
Torrance, CA 90505
Service: (310) 517-9688

Xenons are the way to go. Sadly, the Tesla Store seems to be undergoing an update and many items including the headlamp upgrade are not displayed... yet... as discussed here. As for the fogging, there's apparently drilling required along with a GORE-TEX® patch that's applied per this thread here. FWIW, I haven't had issues in our climate yet so hopefully you'll have the same luck.

2x DIN upgrade is not for the faint of heart. @shrink is your man for guidance as evidenced here. Alternately, you can check with Al & Ed's in W. Hollywood who did the work on @DrTaras' #254 as covered here.

Thanks. I'll take it to Anthony.

I noticed that most of the Roadster stuff was gone from the website. A couple years ago I used it to buy a NEMA 14-30 plug so I could charge the Roadster from my unused clothes dryer receptacle (we switched to a gas dryer long ago). I do hope the Roadster products come back soon. I might need stuff.

I hope the headlights stay dry. I was using it in May a while back and the left headlight did have some fog inside. Either way, I'll seriously consider the HID upgrade.
24862203449_4124d927de_k.jpg

rudholm, congrats on your Roadster!

HIDs from Tesla were $2600 when I got them in 2013. No regrets, very happy with them. The original headlights were barely adequate for the year+ I squeaked out of them. That said, you may be able to do better in aftermarket.

Good luck.