Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couple of questions on 2017 Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks,
I am a new owner of a 2017 model s 100d that I just purchased from Tesla couple of weeks ago. I spent 73k for 39k miles on it. The car has used limited warranty till 50k or august 2023 and also drive train and battery till March 2026. I have been driving the car and have some questions to confirm if this is normal or not so that I can take it to the SC.

1) I do preheat the car by setting the departure time at 7Am. I go drop my kids first and then hop on the interstate to go to work. Whole driving on the interstate in the morning 7:30am with 60 degree Fahrenheit temperature , I am hearing some wiered voice from rear drive side window or door. It feels like a vibration and can only be heard from driver rear side. All the other sides are normal. I took it to SC and they replaced the half shaft for rear and front. Took the car back and still the noise is there. I can take it back but I want to confirm as to what might be the problem ? Also, coming back with 80 degree temperature, I didn’t hear any vibration noise from that window. I am shocked cause it should be consistent but it only happens in the morning. Does not happen later at noon. Any help will be really appreciated since I want to go to SC with some concrete analysis. I did record the audio and below is the audio that I recorded. It starts from 11 second till all the way to end of the cideo

2) while driving on 75 or 80MPH, It feels like the car is not smooth. Let me try to explain it a little. Whenever I am driving on the interstate with 80MPH, It has the feeling of light vibration if that makes sense. The steering wheel I can feel it as well. But it’s not massive vibration. Very annoying . Does not happen on the streets with low speed. It drives perfect on the streets very silent but on the highway with 80MPH, have some vibration. Is this normal ? If not then what can be the cause so that I can work with the SC

3) one last thing that I am trying to figure out the power for 100d. Now I don’t know if this is Norma or not but I feel the torque what I’ve heard from the forums is like a rocket for 100D. Not like P100d but it 100d has plenty of torque and power. Now for me, Whhe I floor it from 30MPH. The car takes off but then at 60 or 50, it looses power. Is this normal ? I did this when I had 55% battery left. It looks like something stoped that power from going more and I didn’t had any cars in front of me. Same thing from the stand stil launch as well. The car picks up from the start really good but as soon as it reaches from 0 to 20 or 30MPh, it feels sluggish after that.. so I am not sure if this is just the car or what but I feel that the loaner 75D was faster than my car I. Terms of torque and my is kinda limited. What could be the problem ?

4) I do usually keep my car charged every night til 80%. Even though my daily drive will consume only 30of the battery for 50Miles. Is it ok to charge 80% every night even though I am only consuming 30% every day ? Also, yesterday I set my charge to 80% but it only charged 78%. Never happened before but first time.

I really appreciate if folks can help me answering the question so that I can work with the SC to actually fix these issues and I am hoping that all of this is covered under warranty

1- I couldn't hear any noise. Could just be the tires temporarily flat spotting overnight.
2- Could be tires out of balance
3- That's normal. Power starts to taper at highway speeds, especially with lower battery. Non-P cars may have a sharper taper.
4- 80% is fine. I charge to 90% daily. Not hitting the target is irregular but not too concerning. This usually happens when charging to 100% though. Did you check the SoC right after the charge session finished or was it a few hours later? The car will regularly lose a percentage point or two within a few hours of finishing the charge.

1- I couldn't hear any noise. Could just be the tires temporarily flat spotting overnight.
2- Could be tires out of balance
3- That's normal. Power starts to taper at highway speeds, especially with lower battery. Non-P cars may have a sharper taper.
4- 80% is fine. I charge to 90% daily. Not hitting the target is irregular but not too concerning. This usually happens when charging to 100% though. Did you check the SoC right after the charge session finished or was it a few hours later? The car will regularly lose a percentage point or two within a few hours of finishing the charge.
1) You can hear the consistent vibration noise after 11sexonds of the video. It’s like a rattling noise..
2) ok even though I just feel it in the floor of the car ?
3) but when I used the loaner, I felt like it was more faster than my 100d and the speed or torque was not tapered.. how can one confirm that their is no performance loss on my car ?
4) makes sense. This only happened that one night and the next morning everything was fine

1 - Without hearing the location, it's difficult to tell. Sounds like an interior rattle to me.
2 - Maybe warped rotors? Note these are not covered under warranty.
3 - There is no way for anyone to really tell without driving two vehicles back to back or measuring the performance. All cars degrade slightly in performance and range as the battery ages. Your best bet is to use an OBD2 dongle with a diagnostic cable and an app like ScanMyTesla to measure the power at the motors and compare those readings to other cars.

Hello,

I bought my 2017 100d 11/2020 so I've had mine a bit now. Congrats on your new toy!

1) It's hard to hear in your file for me. My car is completely silent at those speeds. However, I have a slight rattle sometimes that took me forever to determine. It was the passenger door. If I reach over and push firm on the top just under the window, it goes away. I've not taken the door panel off yet to add something or adjust clip. I had to ask multiple people sitting in passenger seat to help me find rattle because it was just hard to hear where it was from. I finally had my wife just start pushing on everything until we found it. Hope that helps.

2) No vibration at all in my steering wheel. I recommend you highlight that to SC and see if they can help. Could easily be tire balance as suggested, that's normally what it is on my other vehicles.

3) I have felt like the power range fluctuates when battery is lower sometimes. Generally, at 80% or greater charge the pull does not decrease all the way up to 100 or whenever I let off. It seems constant. There have been times when lower than 50% it clearly does not have the same pull according to my butt dyno. I would say this is normal from my experience.

4) I charge mine to 70%. My daily round trip is similar and my schedule LOL. Drop my daughter off then get on highway. The only thing I'm confident on is charging under 100% is better on battery. Past that, it seems there is plenty of points of view. I tried 60% but I found days in which I drove extra around town or had errands; I would end up being uncomfortable with my state of charge. Also, I do still randomly get in a hurry and can forget to plug it in here and there. That extra bit saves me. Doesn't happen often but it seems like the sweet spot for me. I think the best plan is to set that limit to as little as you can live with around your daily habits.

When I got my car, the charge limit indicator didn't have the little hint it does now about daily driving/trip settings. You at least have that slight guidance from Tesla now saying don't charge it up every day.

Vibration in the steering wheel could be an out of round tire. How old are the tires on the car? What is the tread like?

For the performance (reference point: I have a 2019 100D), the car loses a lot of power once the battery drops below 50% SOC. It starts to feel like it is running in 'Chill' mode all the time. Also, there is power fade regardless of SOC at higher speeds. 0-30mph = rocket, 30-60mph = still fast, 60-80mph = not as fast. Note that the power fade is not as prevalent on the new refreshed Model S cars (especially the Plaid).

Thabk uou gnome. This helped a lot.
1) ok I think
Vibration in the steering wheel could be an out of round tire. How old are the tires on the car? What is the tread like?

For the performance (reference point: I have a 2019 100D), the car loses a lot of power once the battery drops below 50% SOC. It starts to feel like it is running in 'Chill' mode all the time. Also, there is power fade regardless of SOC at higher speeds. 0-30mph = rocket, 30-60mph = still fast, 60-80mph = not as fast. Note that the power fade is not as prevalent on the new refreshed Model S cars (especially the Plaid).
Ok May be that might be the problem for me. I might have launched it below 50% which is exactly what it felt like I am driving in chill mode even though it was in standard mode. I will jot down and wil try it when the car is fully charged at 70%.
My tires thread are below. Can you let me know if I need new tjrws
Front driver: 5
Front passenger 6
Rear driver 10
Rear passenger 10

Hello,

I bought my 2017 100d 11/2020 so I've had mine a bit now. Congrats on your new toy!

1) It's hard to hear in your file for me. My car is completely silent at those speeds. However, I have a slight rattle sometimes that took me forever to determine. It was the passenger door. If I reach over and push firm on the top just under the window, it goes away. I've not taken the door panel off yet to add something or adjust clip. I had to ask multiple people sitting in passenger seat to help me find rattle because it was just hard to hear where it was from. I finally had my wife just start pushing on everything until we found it. Hope that helps.

2) No vibration at all in my steering wheel. I recommend you highlight that to SC and see if they can help. Could easily be tire balance as suggested, that's normally what it is on my other vehicles.

3) I have felt like the power range fluctuates when battery is lower sometimes. Generally, at 80% or greater charge the pull does not decrease all the way up to 100 or whenever I let off. It seems constant. There have been times when lower than 50% it clearly does not have the same pull according to my butt dyno. I would say this is normal from my experience.

4) I charge mine to 70%. My daily round trip is similar and my schedule LOL. Drop my daughter off then get on highway. The only thing I'm confident on is charging under 100% is better on battery. Past that, it seems there is plenty of points of view. I tried 60% but I found days in which I drove extra around town or had errands; I would end up being uncomfortable with my state of charge. Also, I do still randomly get in a hurry and can forget to plug it in here and there. That extra bit saves me. Doesn't happen often but it seems like the sweet spot for me. I think the best plan is to set that limit to as little as you can live with around your daily habits.

When I got my car, the charge limit indicator didn't have the little hint it does now about daily driving/trip settings. You at least have that slight guidance from Tesla now saying don't charge it up every day.
Thanks for all the great points. I think the feeling on the highway that I get is that something is coming from the bottom of the car aka floor that I can feel in the steering t wher. It is not per se pure vibration but the steering wheel feels loose and the floor of the car feels a little whobbly.
I took it to SC couple of weeks ago and they replace the half shaft but that did not solve the problem. Did you encounter the same issue ?

So if I charge daily to 70% even though I consume may be 40 or 30% every day ? Is this food ? I used to charge 80% but after what uou told me, I am not utilizing all that charge so I reduced it to 70%.

As far as torque, I think I might be launching it below 50%..I wil jot it down for next time

Also below is my tire thread
Front driver: 5
Front passenger 6
Rear driver 10
Rear passenger 1

Rotate your rear wheels to the front. If you hit a big puddle right after a downpour then you want the extra tread on the front. If I'm wrong on that then someone will correct me.

The performance difference you noticed in the loaner could be due to tire psi or type.