Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couple of supercharger stalls weren't at max performance, should I contact Tesla, and how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was supercharging in Tallahassee earlier this evening and first 2 stalls I tried (no one there but me) only got to around 160A after 5-7 min. Third stall I tried finally ramped to 296A. Should I call Tesla? And if I should which #? First time I've had this happen in about a dozen supercharging sessions.

Ideal amperage depends on state of charge, and battery temp, and type of battery (larger batteries charge faster). Fastest portion is very low SoC and warm (not hot/frozen) battery. I've seen 300+ amps on a nearly empty battery. Amperage will reduce as SoC increases.

Yea the dozen or so times I have done it, from the 10-20% SOC of the pack it normally jumps to 290-300+ amps. The first chargers I tried this time, jumped to that. Stayed for a few seconds. Then quickly dropped back to 150's. The third charger was the charm as it ramped to the 290's and stayed until normal SOC taper began as I had seen in the past.

What is the ideal amperage that a SpC should charge at with nobody in a shared stall?

Someone told me a rule-of-thumb which I have found useful:

• Change the Charge Screen units to Percent.
  • Add the AMPS and PERCENT and if they are 120-130 that's good. A higher number is even better.
Do Tesla not get an automatic alert if a stall is pumping slow? Both the car and the stall must be logging that data so should be able to notify Tesla without Owners having to do anything ... would also be nice if the screen said "This stall appears to be duff, try another one". I'm a Geek, but my wife, sure as eggs are eggs, is not going to switch-display and add-two-numbers, she's just going to launch into orbit about how long she had to wait and how useless the system is o_O

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
Someone told me a rule-of-thumb which I have found useful:

• Change the Charge Screen units to Percent.
  • Add the AMPS and PERCENT and if they are 120-130 that's good. A higher number is even better.
It's good to have the rule of thumb, but you mis-remembered it. It's not amps; it's kilowatts. Add the state of charge percent and the kilowatt number.

I had this exact issue now at 3 different chargers. One was Syosset about 2 weeks ago and yesterday I had it at two different chargers in Connecticut (Milford and Darien). One I think was due to a pair issue (Milford) but the other two were empty. I call the number and they told me everything was fine with my car and told me to move to another stall. That fixed it, but what if the other stall was not available? They said they would send someone to look at the chargers.

You mention the percent plus the kWs should be between 120 and 130. It does not display the kWs, does it? I know it is just Amps times Volts divided by 1000.

I had this exact issue now at 3 different chargers. One was Syosset about 2 weeks ago and yesterday I had it at two different chargers in Connecticut (Milford and Darien). One I think was due to a pair issue (Milford) but the other two were empty. I call the number and they told me everything was fine with my car and told me to move to another stall. That fixed it, but what if the other stall was not available? They said they would send someone to look at the chargers.

You mention the percent plus the kWs should be between 120 and 130. It does not display the kWs, does it? I know it is just Amps times Volts divided by 1000.
If you change your units to show % instead of Rated Miles then the car will show kW rate when you are charging. This is what I used during my trip. We encountered 3 bad Supercharger stalls along the way. I called and reported them to Tesla. The guy on the phone said that they were aware of issues with all 3 Superchargers. I sure wish that they would share that information so that I wouldn't have wasted time at stalls that were not working correctly.

I was supercharging in Tallahassee earlier this evening and first 2 stalls I tried (no one there but me) only got to around 160A after 5-7 min. Third stall I tried finally ramped to 296A. Should I call Tesla? And if I should which #? First time I've had this happen in about a dozen supercharging sessions.
Yes, your problem now is someone else's solution later.