Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couple of thoughts on Quality Control on new Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*steps on soap box*

Just ended up purchasing my third Tesla. First was a 2014 s85 with AP1, second a 2013 P85, and now a 2017 60D AP2. Obviously, I like Tesla's (enough to buy three of them), but I got to say I am a little disappointed in new production QC. As a disclaimer, Tesla is going to make all the deficiencies right, however it should have never left the factory or delivery center before being corrected.

Items found incorrect:

1. Front tire out of balance or out of round. Car "thumps" down the road.
2. Alignment way off. Steering wheel 15 degrees off center and pulls right.
3. Front and rear door seals defective. Have bulges that you you can stick you finger in (seal not laying flat against headliner)
3. Front airdam corner plastic pieces incorrectly installed. One doesn't snap in all the way, other flat out came out and was found lodged in to the grill.

I am not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here, but for a VIN upwards of 180k, they should have these obvious items correct before delivery. Last time a saw a car that had these kind obvious issues it was an early 2000's Chevy.

If Tesla reads these forums, you all might want to double check your factory QC standards!

Either way, much better car than the previous two, it's just time to step up the QC game to be in line with a $70k car.

*End soap box standing*

With all the toys and robots at the factory they should invest in a car inspection scanner that detect faults both with paint work and allignments.
Having service centers around the world working on faults that should have been detected by factory inspector, giving other customers a long wait for service.

The guy/girl at the end of the production line doing the inspections would hopefully never gotten a job at Space X -

*steps on soap box*

Just ended up purchasing my third Tesla. First was a 2014 s85 with AP1, second a 2013 P85, and now a 2017 60D AP2. Obviously, I like Tesla's (enough to buy three of them), but I got to say I am a little disappointed in new production QC. As a disclaimer, Tesla is going to make all the deficiencies right, however it should have never left the factory or delivery center before being corrected.

Items found incorrect:

3. Front and rear door seals defective. Have bulges that you you can stick you finger in (seal not laying flat against headliner)
3. Front airdam corner plastic pieces incorrectly installed. One doesn't snap in all the way, other flat out came out and was found lodged in to the grill.

I am not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here, but for a VIN upwards of 180k, they should have these obvious items correct before delivery. Last time a saw a car that had these kind obvious issues it was an early 2000's Chevy.

If Tesla reads these forums, you all might want to double check your factory QC standards!

Either way, much better car than the previous two, it's just time to step up the QC game to be in line with a $70k car.

*End soap box standing*

Ouch. Best of luck with the fixes. I'm fortunate that the only real problem I've experienced(outside my own stupidity with snow chains...) is the drivers side mirror not folding out completely.

Sometimes I wonder if the current thinking is to prioritize volume over quality. Hanging around the showroom listening to sales talk to new customers while waiting for my car in service, my impression is that many of the new customers maybe don't care so much about paint being perfect or other quality defects. I ask myself if my wife was taking delivery of the car if she would notice anything listed in the original post (maybe the alignment)?

I also think that the people posting in these forums are a small subset of the population - my wife is the primary driver and there could literally be a softball sized dent in the hood and she would not notice it. I wonder how much value the "average" new customer places on perfection? And if someone does not accept the car due to defects they will fix and sell to someone else as an inventory car - no problem - right? It might be more cost effective to send out some bad cars see if people notice and rebuild for the small percent that do notice - keep the line churning out new cars and investors happy. It also seems like there is no current method for different or better quality control on an S60 vs SP100D, but a huge difference in buyer expectations and price.

At any rate, the quality issues are a concern for me for the upcoming Model 3. I can't give a wholehearted recommendation when people ask me my thoughts anymore...at some point this will have to catch up with Tesla, right??????

Reactions: TessLi
@G77P

I would certainly think it would catch up with them. Honestly, I just think they are growing faster than the can account for. We all know that the model 3 will strain the service centers and supercharger network. They are already building new superchargers, but I have heard little about expanding service centers (other than more ranger type service). They will need to get their QC under control to lessen the blow at the service centers. As it is, it's like a month out to get an appointment in the near where I live (Seattle area).

I guess at this point, I can tolerate things like AP2 being half baked as it is cutting edge stuff. But the items I discussed are not cutting edge technology; just cruddy oversight/management.

Note taking a side on the following issue, but I am not sure a possible UAW takeover will make QC any better.

In my baseless opinion, I am of the belief that these quality issues are just being pushed off to the service centers. They don't want to slow down production or let the cars with defects/issues pile up because they don't have additional resources to rework them besides normal production workers. It's all about the quarter numbers.

I can't imagine what other reason there could be. The majority of the defects/issues mentioned are pretty obvious that even the worst QC person that is nearly blind should be able to identify.

*steps on soap box*

Items found incorrect:

*End soap box standing*

As an aside , I'm just curious if you can elaborate on your thoughts going from a 85kwh battery to a 60kwh battery. I would imagine it's highly inconvenient for you to have downgraded so significantly on range.
I am a first time owner and purchased a 60D and had delivery in Dec. 2017. I'm still adjusting to how to maximize my range on the car.

*steps on soap box*

Items found incorrect:

*End soap box standing*

Thanks for having the courage to share your experience here. Very sorry you are going through this, but I remain confident that your local service center will make things right. I agree with you, though: this car should never have been approved for delivery in the condition you described.

I didn't have many day 1 defects (misaligned brightwork, non-functioning steering wheel heater), so I considered myself lucky.

BUT

I just had a SC work on those issues, and the chrome is now less misaligned, but still visibly off. And the steering will 'fix' note? "Reconnect Airbag". o_O.

How many other non-cold-package airbags aren't hooked up?

• Informative
Reactions: MS16
*steps on soap box*

Items found incorrect:

*End soap box standing*

My Sept 2016 Model S also was delivered with alignment issues and a steering wheel off center. Two alignments have improved the pulling and off center steering wheel, but the car still doesn't track worth crap and there's a vibration in the steering wheel.

When was your car built? I'm surprised at how many people here have received cars direct from the factory with alignment problems.

I didn't have many day 1 defects (misaligned brightwork, non-functioning steering wheel heater), so I considered myself lucky.

BUT

I just had a SC work on those issues, and the chrome is now less misaligned, but still visibly off. And the steering will 'fix' note? "Reconnect Airbag". o_O.

How many other non-cold-package airbags aren't hooked up?

What are the chances you'd ever use the airbag anyway? :) Sort of scary that the airbag light wasn't on as a warning.

@sshah

I think the S60 (software limited 75) is a pretty good deal when compared to my 85. My 85 would go 270 miles @100% charge. Which of course which shortens the life, so I went with the Tesla recommended 80% charge. This equaled daily usable limit of 215-220 miles. The new S60D can go 100% charge all the time as it is a software limited 75kw pack. So 100 = roughly 80%. I get 217 miles rated range on the S60D at 100%. So for 98% of my driving it's no difference at all. Only affects long commutes but supercharger fixes most of that.

Plus I could unlock the other 15kw later if I have a real NEED. But in practice I just don't need it. I rolled the cost savings into EAP and Dual motors.

@MS16

Build date was 2 weeks ago. Just picked it up this Monday.

Reactions: Sather
@SageBrush

Also as a member of the Armed Forces, you have defined Hanger Queen exactly as I meant. While my P85 wasn't "cannibalized" or "controlled Substitution" (as they say these days to be more PC), it sure felt like it.

Here is a small list of what had to be done to my P85 (it was a CPO, so some my have been previous owner fault):

1. Car pulled and followed ruts from delivery. 3 alignments, no change
2. Replaced both front wheel bearings, No change
3. Replaced entire front suspension and half rear control arms, fixed issue (upper and lower control arms)
4. Bent 21" wheels twice in 1" pot hole. (yes I stopped an measured it). $400 in repairs a@ 100 per wheel.
5. Lift gate actuators failed, replaced
6. Climate control fan failed
7. A/C compressor excessive vibration, replaced
8. Rear hatch flooded (gallon of water poured out on me as i lifted the hatch). replaced tail light assembly
9. Sun roof leak on my head. Repaired twice, still failed. Ended up cutting out gen one roof and installing all new gen 2 roof
10. Headliner came apart, fixed
11. Review mirror housing cover fell off, replaced
12. Car supposed to come with Spoiler, did not. Added later in another service appointment
13. Charge Port LED Failed, replaced.

All within 8 months and 20k miles.

Honestly, that's all I can remember at the moment. So in the end, she looked real pretty in the garage (or the service center), but that's about it.