Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couple questions about winter wheel change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appreciate all the input, everyone! Went off without a hitch.

I see now why the hockey puck’s all the rage. What I quickly learned is to remove the floor jack’s saddle and replace it with just the puck. Simply dropping the puck into the saddle then attempting to lift caused the puck to touch the body molding. With saddle removed, the puck clears just below the molding by a millimeter or two, and stays safely just off that inside vented shrouding.

Yes. Chock whichever wheels won’t get lifted. The diagonal one is usually a good bet.

If you have air suspension, raise it up and set “jack mode” to keep it from auto leveling while you are trying to jack the car!

Thanks! I think I'm ready to try it out :) I just got the car yesterday and the Tesla Service Centre swapped out all of the lug nuts, so I don't think I have the crappy malleable ones any more, so the process should be more pleasant! I'm hoping I should be able to use my impact wrench with the new lug nuts (and I have a plastic socket sheath to protect the rim's finish). Here's the procedure I wrote up and will follow :)

Quick Notes:
  • Socket = 21MM
  • Torque = 129 lb-ft (175NM)
  • 19” Tire Pressure = 45 PSI (cold)
  • 21” Tire Pressure = 42 PSI (cold)

Procedure to Change Each Wheel:

1.) Put the car in park and chock the other wheels with blocks of wood. Since I have Coil Suspension instead of Air Suspension, “Jack Mode” does not exist and isn’t required. If you have Air Suspension, wet it to the highest setting and then put the car into "Jack Mode" using the screen.

2.) Remove all of the lug nut covers using the removal tool

3.) Insert the jack pad (i.e. shim) into one of the four jack point and jack up one corner of the car (but do not completely lift the tire off the ground or else it will spin during Step 4). A hockey puck can also be used -- just be sure you don't let the jack touch the battery.

4.) Use electric impact wrench to loosen the five lug bolts

5.) Lift tire completely off the ground

6.) Use the socket wrench with the extender and a 21MM socket to remove the five lug bolts

7.) Pull wheel off the car

8.) Rotate the hub so that one stud is at the very top and hang the new wheel on the studs

9.) Thread the five lug nuts on the studs and use the socket wrench to hand tighten them until snug (but not torque them). It’s fastest to do this while spinning the wheel with your hand. After the bolts are tightened, push on the top of the wheel to make sure it isn’t loose on the hub.

10.) Slowly lower the car completely to the ground

11.) Set the torque wrench to 129 ft-lbs (175 NM)

12.) Torque each nut until it “clicks” using a star pattern:

Star Pattern.jpg
clip_image001.png

13.) Double-check each lug to make sure that it’s torqued

After Installing all Wheels:

1.) Do a final check on the torque of all lug bolts

2.) Inflate each tire (45 PSI for 19”, 42 PSI for 21”)

3.) Drive around the block for 5-10 minutes until the car recognizes the new TPMS sensors. The touch screen will tell you that the sensors have been recognized and reset, and then ask you if the wheels you just put on the car are 19" or 21" wheels. Select the proper size at that point.

4.) Drive for another 50-100kms and then do one additional check on the torque of all lug nuts at 129 lb-ft (175NM)

5.) Install lug nut covers