Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couple questions from a first time Tesla owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Occasionally, my 2021 M3SR+ detects and shows a parked (still) car on the side of a street when I drive by it but 99% it won't detect parked cars on the side of a street. Is that normal? What objects should the car detect and display?

I had my M3SR+ for a week and I saw twice a message saying left B pillar camera was blocked and blinded. One time was when I was driving during the day. I pulled over and checked but I didn't see anything blocking the camera. I went on driving and the message seemed to go away. Second time was when I was driving at night. It first said left B pillar camera but then said about multiple cameras were blocked or blinded. It was pretty dark outside without street lights. I guess it may be the reason. Has anyone seen similar message?

Thanks.

Occasionally, my 2021 M3SR+ detects and shows a parked (still) car on the side of a street when I drive by it but 99% it won't detect parked cars on the side of a street. Is that normal? What objects should the car detect and display?
I wouldn't worry too much about what the car displays. As long as it isn't causing any driving aberrations, you should be good.

I had my M3SR+ for a week and I saw twice a message saying left B pillar camera was blocked and blinded. One time was when I was driving during the day. I pulled over and checked but I didn't see anything blocking the camera. I went on driving and the message seemed to go away. Second time was when I was driving at night. It first said left B pillar camera but then said about multiple cameras were blocked or blinded. It was pretty dark outside without street lights. I guess it may be the reason. Has anyone seen similar message?
I get this often when I leave work on a cool moist evening: if I need to run my wipers to clear the windshield, this message often goes hand-in-hand. It goes away fairly quickly when I start driving. Not sure if this applies to what you are experiencing.

Since you mention you just received your car... did you tear off the film on the pillar? Occasionally the glare would blind the camera for a while, and covering the camera with a film definitely do not help.

My B Pillar cameras get blinded once in awhile, usually when one of them is facing into the sun when the sun is low in the sky. Lot's of snow on the ground will also frequently blind the cameras on a sunny day. And, to a lesser extent, the cameras are sometimes "blinded" when it is very dark and there are no streetlights or building lights. It's all pretty normal and nothing to be worried about, but it is important to be aware that these conditions can disrupt the B Pillar cameras.

Reactions: jjrandorin

Thanks.
The car detects everything but doesn't show you most stuff (unless you have the full self driving beta). When it flashed the parked car on your screen, the computer for a sec thought it was a moving car next to you. When it relized that wasn't the case, it stopped showing that car again.