Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couple questions on wiper blades...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wiper blades on my Model Y are streaking pretty bad. I have cleaned them, but still can't get the streaking taken away. Anyone have links (Amazon preferred) to a good set of all-season wipers for the Model Y? Searched posts in this forum and didn't see anything.

Also, how hard are they to change out?

Thanks in advance....

Dave

Reactions: Tim42069 and ib604
The wiper blades on my Model Y are streaking pretty bad. I have cleaned them, but still can't get the streaking taken away. Anyone have links (Amazon preferred) to a good set of all-season wipers for the Model Y? Searched posts in this forum and didn't see anything.

Thanks in advance....

Dave
I’ve had great luck with Rain X washer fluid from Amazon. The orange colored stuff. Seems to help alot with streaking. Ive had 2 Model 3s and the wipers on both streaked badly.

• Informative
Reactions: Daks
I’ve had great luck with Rain X washer fluid from Amazon. The orange colored stuff. Seems to help alot with streaking. Ive had 2 Model 3s and the wipers on both streaked badly.

That stuff will ruin your windshield. It adds a film over your windshield that is really hard to get off and it also can ruin the sensor in the tank. I've had it mess with a former car I use to own.

Reactions: CO_MY
Tesla recommends that you don't use windshield washer fluid with any water repellent additives, i.e RainX type treatment. If your wipers are streaking the wiper blades could be worn and you need to replace the wiper blades. Road film including a combination of dirt, oil, diesel fuel etc. can get on the windshield. You need to remove this film from the windshield.You can use alcohol based cleaners such as Invisible Glass. You may have to clean the windshield several times to remove the film. If you use any stronger solvent to clean the glass you need to take extra care not to get any of the solvent on the painted finish of the vehicle.

There are also glass cleaning compounds specifically made for cleaning glass but these require care when using else you can damage the glass.

Lots of great info here between @jcanoe mentioning not to use RainX and @GretaRocks 50/50 vinegar and alcohol cleaning suggestion, but could someone provide suggestions for replacement blades and fluid?
Check your Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual. Tesla recommends not using washer fluid with special water repellent additives as this can cause streaking. If you are fortunate to live where the temperature never dips below freezing then consider Kristall Klar Washer Fluid Concentrate. Diluted at 1:200 with water, one 8.5 ounce bottle makes 12 gallons. For the rest of us the generic premixed washer fluid sold everywhere, usually blue in color, works well and protects against freezing down to -20F or -25F.

For replacement wiper blades, assuming you don't want to buy the Tesla replacement blades, the Bosch wiper blades ( 26 OE and 19 OE) will fit with the included adapter. You will need to break off one tab from the Bosch wiper blade adapter so that the washer nozzle on the wiper arm clears the blade. More on wiper blades for the Model Y on Reddit: Model Y Wiper Blade Replacement Question

Reactions: patnshan and ahcpa
With aquapel on the windshield, the OEM wipers chattered as did the Bosch icons. I tried the xtechnor wipers, and they left a large area unwipped on the downstroke. The Walmart Michelin silicone are working well so far (1 week).

Check your Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual. Tesla recommends not using washer fluid with special water repellent additives as this can cause streaking. If you are fortunate to live where the temperature never dips below freezing then consider Kristall Klar Washer Fluid Concentrate. Diluted at 1:200 with water, one 8.5 ounce bottle makes 12 gallons. For the rest of us the generic premixed washer fluid sold everywhere, usually blue in color, works well and protects against freezing down to -20F or -25F.

For replacement wiper blades, assuming you don't want to buy the Tesla replacement blades, the Bosch wiper blades ( 26 OE and 19 OE) will fit with the included adapter. You will need to break off one tab from the Bosch wiper blade adapter so that the washer nozzle on the wiper arm clears the blade. More on wiper blades for the Model Y on Reddit: Model Y Wiper Blade Replacement Question

Do you have to buy the tesla blades from the service center? I'm not seeing them anywhere on the site.

Barkeeper's Friend mixed into a paste with water will remove all residue from your windshield. Flush with lots of water.

Be extra careful with that! Flush with lots of water for sure. BKF is oxalic acid, and while I don't know for sure that it will damage the paint, I suspect it will if not flushed off completely. It's not a super-strong acid (I don't bother with gloves when cleaning my sink, for example), but if you leave any behind it will have days or weeks to damage things.

Thanks in advance....

Dave
There is a very good silicone wiper that's seems only to y available from Walmart

These are the ones from Walmart that are working well so far on my MY. The only issue is with heavy salt on the roads, the extra wipe when hitting the windshield washer leaves some salt on the downstroke. I wish it didn't to the extra wipe a couple of seconds after washer is done!

20210221_114651.jpg

Tesla recommends that you don't use windshield washer fluid with any water repellent additives, i.e RainX type treatment. If your wipers are streaking the wiper blades could be worn and you need to replace the wiper blades. Road film including a combination of dirt, oil, diesel fuel etc. can get on the windshield. You need to remove this film from the windshield.You can use alcohol based cleaners such as Invisible Glass. You may have to clean the windshield several times to remove the film. If you use any stronger solvent to clean the glass you need to take extra care not to get any of the solvent on the painted finish of the vehicle.

There are also glass cleaning compounds specifically made for cleaning glass but these require care when using else you can damage the glass.

I just wanted to say that I've read about issues with Rain X, but I've been using it for around 10 years in numerous cars and never had a problem. I guess I've been lucky but I am still going to use it as I'm thinking if there was a problem they wouldn't still be selling it.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I believe that currently you can only purchase the Tesla wiper blades from the Service Center. It would make sense to be able to order the wiper blades from the Tesla store.

Agreed, I'd love if they sold the fluid as well. Do they top off during maintaince appointments? Being in the North East, I'm planning to have Winter Tires put on by October/ all season by March every year and would hope that there is a general health check and fluid top off service I could tack onto it.

I know Tesla no longer sells their maintaince packages or requires yearly servicing, but it'd be comforting to get a fresh set of eyes on things yearly. Not to mention I'm extremely OCD when it comes to minor defects.

Adding washer fluid to the Tesla vehicle is the owner's responsibility. The washer fluid reservoir cap is located under the front hood, driver side. The washer fluid is the only owner/operator accessible fluid in a Tesla vehicle. The Tesla Model Y holds ~1.2 gallons of washer fluid. A message that the washer fluid is low will appear on the Tesla screen when it is time to add some washer fluid. I purchase a gallon or two of the blue premix washer fluid when I see that washer fluid is on sale.