Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couple questions on wiper blades...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are the ones from Walmart that are working well so far on my MY. The only issue is with heavy salt on the roads, the extra wipe when hitting the windshield washer leaves some salt on the downstroke. I wish it didn't to the extra wipe a couple of seconds after washer is done!

View attachment 638564

Thanks! I haven’t been satisfied by OEM blades or Bosche replacement on my Model 3. Seems these are the best and I do like anything Michelin and these are sold exclusively at Walmart according to Michelin site. I ordered a set for when it’s time to replace mine.

Adding washer fluid to the Tesla vehicle is the owner's responsibility. The washer fluid reservoir cap is located under the front hood, driver side. The washer fluid is the only owner/operator accessible fluid in a Tesla vehicle. The Tesla Model Y holds ~1.2 gallons of washer fluid. A message that the washer fluid is low will appear on the Tesla screen when it is time to add some washer fluid. I purchase a gallon or two of the blue premix washer fluid when I see that washer fluid is on sale.

Hmmm... I really need the stuff that stays liquid down a little further in temps as -20 or -25F just isn't enough. I was using a -40F rated fluid, but not sure I should now. Granted, this will hopefully be a next winter issue as our super sub zero temps should, key word should, be over for me in Anchorage and I don't have any trips to the Northern part of the state planned in the Y. I assume then that we shouldn't use rainX itself on the front windshield? I usually like using a water repelling fluid and it really helps out and also makes snow/ice removal easier. Any suggestions?

Hmmm... I really need the stuff that stays liquid down a little further in temps as -20 or -25F just isn't enough. I was using a -40F rated fluid, but not sure I should now. Granted, this will hopefully be a next winter issue as our super sub zero temps should, key word should, be over for me in Anchorage and I don't have any trips to the Northern part of the state planned in the Y. I assume then that we shouldn't use rainX itself on the front windshield? I usually like using a water repelling fluid and it really helps out and also makes snow/ice removal easier. Any suggestions?
Per the 2020 Model Y Owner's Manual regarding washer fluid (page 182)

Caution: Do not add formulated washer
fluids that contain water repellent or bug
wash. These fluids can cause streaking,
smearing, and squeaking or other noises.

Warning: In temperatures below
40° F (4° C), use a washer fluid with
antifreeze. In cold weather, using a
washer fluid without antifreeze can impair
visibility through the windshield.

I think you will be fine using the washer fluid that you can purchase where you live with extra added antifreeze if you need use a fluid that is rated to -40F.

Last edited:
These are the ones from Walmart that are working well so far on my MY. The only issue is with heavy salt on the roads, the extra wipe when hitting the windshield washer leaves some salt on the downstroke. I wish it didn't to the extra wipe a couple of seconds after washer is done!

View attachment 638564

I have the same issue with the OE wiper blades and I *think* I may have resolved it by adjusting the washer nozzle. I'll let you know. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Sudsington

View attachment 638564

So weird that I haven't been able to get these working. I install them fine but when I remove from wiper service mode, the passenger wiper actually hits up against the hood when trying to slide underneath. It's almost like these wipers raise the wiper arm too high -- higher than OEM at least.

Are you sure you swapped the mounts that came with them correctly? It takes a lot of force (and a flat screwdriver) to remove the one that came on the blade and a moderate amount of force to push the included correct one back on.

There may be a non-trivial difference in the spacing between our hoods and windshield. The MY isn't exactly known for its consistent panel gaps.

Adding washer fluid to the Tesla vehicle is the owner's responsibility. The washer fluid reservoir cap is located under the front hood, driver side. The washer fluid is the only owner/operator accessible fluid in a Tesla vehicle. The Tesla Model Y holds ~1.2 gallons of washer fluid. A message that the washer fluid is low will appear on the Tesla screen when it is time to add some washer fluid. I purchase a gallon or two of the blue premix washer fluid when I see that washer fluid is on sale.

I'm a big fan of the BMW (or Mini) concentrate. ~$4.00US at the local BMW dealer. Can be mixed as needed for freeze protection (see rear label at the FCP Euro link). Works FANTASTIC.

ShopBMWUSA.com | BMW Windshield Washer Concentrate
BMW Windshield Washer Concentrate (16oz) - Genuine BMW 83192221702 | FCP Euro

So weird that I haven't been able to get these working. I install them fine but when I remove from wiper service mode, the passenger wiper actually hits up against the hood when trying to slide underneath. It's almost like these wipers raise the wiper arm too high -- higher than OEM at least.

Just got home and checked my hood clearance... plenty of room. Something is probably wrong with how you attached the wiper adapter that came in the box. It should look like the pic below. I hope this helps.
20210224_181955.jpg

Reactions: scissorfighter
Are you sure you swapped the mounts that came with them correctly? It takes a lot of force (and a flat screwdriver) to remove the one that came on the blade and a moderate amount of force to push the included correct one back on.

There may be a non-trivial difference in the spacing between our hoods and windshield. The MY isn't exactly known for its consistent panel gaps.

Yeah, definitely mounting them correctly. Now that I look at it, my frunk definitely isn’t flush wear it meets the quarter panel. I don’t know if that’s enough to cause it though. I saw a thread on Reddit that there are two different versions of these wipers out there with the same SKU. Who knows... I’m just going to try some Bosch Icons.

How are you liking the Michelins?

So far, so good. The icons, sadly, chattered. The Aquapel on my windshield likely contributed to this. I'd prefer to not have a hydrophobic coating in my windshield, but the wipers on high aren't fast enough to handle heavy rain without it.

So far, so good. The icons, sadly, chattered. The Aquapel on my windshield likely contributed to this. I'd prefer to not have a hydrophobic coating in my windshield, but the wipers on high aren't fast enough to handle heavy rain without it.

I had Icon on my Model 3 which also chattered, I think due to Tesla windshield being bumpy/uneven and due to using RainX then McKee’s glass coating.. have been using Kamikaze Intenso coating for 2 years on the Model 3 with OEM wipers, 1 year on the Y, and just maintained by cleaning car and glass with Carpro ECH20 as waterless wash or detail spray, it’s still going strong and hydrophobic in rainy pacific northwest.. no longer have issues with wiper skipping/chatter. Try out ECH20, should boost hydrophobic trait for weeks after a wash.

Just got home and checked my hood clearance... plenty of room. Something is probably wrong with how you attached the wiper adapter that came in the box. It should look like the pic below. I hope this helps.
View attachment 639717

hmm that’s A LOT of space! I wonder if I got a dud pair or something. I have 18” Michelin’s on the passenger side right now with no problems — but it keeps missing a small area and is driving me nuts.

Update: Turns out the 19" was fine. 16" was hitting the hood. Tesla came out and basically scolded me for using OEM. Bottom line is that the clearance for the wipers is crazy small. Any kind of thick winter blade for the passenger side simply won't work. So it looks like 19" Winter (or whatever I want/need) and 16" Tesla blade. Gotta love Tesla sometimes. How that tech held a straight face telling me I can't buy after market wiper blades is beyond me.

• Funny
Reactions: gundarx
Update: Turns out the 19" was fine. 16" was hitting the hood. Tesla came out and basically scolded me for using OEM. Bottom line is that the clearance for the wipers is crazy small. Any kind of thick winter blade for the passenger side simply won't work. So it looks like 19" Winter (or whatever I want/need) and 16" Tesla blade. Gotta love Tesla sometimes. How that tech held a straight face telling me I can't buy after market wiper blades is beyond me.
So you confused me...with regard to the Michelin blades are we looking at 26 inch for the driver's side and 19 inch for the passenger side. I don't understand the reference to 16 inch. Thanks.