Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couple questions..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. The model Y is to be a compact SUV. I thought the X was an SUV as well. Are they prioritising the Y because it will be cheaper (20-30k less) than X and therefore a lot more market?

2. Is it just me that thinks the pickup truck (not sure what letter it will be) would be of greater demand than a cheaper type X?

I'm not too knowledgeable on car types and demand in the US (I'm from UK), so please correct me.

Thanks.

The market in the USA I suspect is easier for Tesla to penetrate for small SUV, based on where they are at now.

While trucks are a much bigger market, they are very much dominated by just a few models, and are widely propped up by fleet sales. Also, I suspect getting the right combination of features, range and capacity on the pickup will be a challenge to compete with the F150 standby.

Model Y will share much of its architecture with the Model 3 so its an easier manufacturing challenge with less initial costs, while the pickup will have more in common with the Semi most likely, and the tooling doesn't exist for either, so capital investment would be higher.

1. The model Y is to be a compact SUV. I thought the X was an SUV as well.

I doubt Y can accommodate 7 people while X can. There will be a few differences.

...Y because it will be cheaper...

Sounds reasonable. Same way as prioritizing Model 3.

...greater demand than a cheaper type X...

There's no question that in U.S. vehicle market, pickup trucks should be the way to sell as most 3 vehicles sold in 2018 are pickups trucks:

1. Ford F-series (909,330)

2. Chevrolet Silverado (585,581)

3. Ram Pickup (536,980)

Tesla needs to pick up its pace to capture this market!

For clarity, Musk has been hyping the Model Y as a "mid-size SUV" in recent months.

SUVs are the most popular consumer segment in North America, and very popular globally. Trucks are mostly a North American phenomenon. So globally, the Model Y makes more sense to prioritize.

Its also likely that buyers for trucks are likely to be more critical and slower to adopt EVs. I think another couple years and the evidence that EVs are the way forward for every vehicle segment is going to be that much more obvious.

There's no question that in U.S. vehicle market, pickup trucks should be the way to sell as most 3 vehicles sold in 2018 are pickups trucks:

1. Ford F-series (909,330)

2. Chevrolet Silverado (585,581)

3. Ram Pickup (536,980)

Tesla needs to pick up its pace to capture this market!

I think it's misleading to look at it compared to specific vehicle models sold, as there are far fewer pickup models than SUVs. According to U.S. car market: by vehicle type 2018 | Statistic, the crossover market (38.5%) is over twice the size of the pickup market (16.5%) in the US.

I think it's misleading to look at it compared to specific vehicle models sold, as there are far fewer pickup models than SUVs. According to U.S. car market: by vehicle type 2018 | Statistic, the crossover market (38.5%) is over twice the size of the pickup market (16.5%) in the US.
I think this is a good point, and I think there is a lot less brand loyalty in crossovers and midsize SUVs. Combine that with the Model 3 commonality and the Y is the most logical place to go. Honestly it would be outright foolish to try and tackle the pickup market now.

I own a pickup, hardly ever leaves my yard but I own one. I have only ever owned 2 non-General Motors vehicles. My first an F-100 which was all I could afford for $700 not missing a digit, and the Tesla with a solid 10+ GM products in between. If I had to buy another truck or full-size SUV today it would be Chevy/GMC would not consider Ford or Dodge. Brand loyalty is part of that and runs deeper when there are few choices. Midsize SUVs we are spoiled for choice, that dilutes brand loyalty.

1. The model Y is to be a compact SUV. I thought the X was an SUV as well. Are they prioritising the Y because it will be cheaper (20-30k less) than X and therefore a lot more market?

2. Is it just me that thinks the pickup truck (not sure what letter it will be) would be of greater demand than a cheaper type X?

I'm not too knowledgeable on car types and demand in the US (I'm from UK), so please correct me.

Thanks.
Also, don't get too excited about the Model Y yet. I've had a UK Model 3 on order for almost 2 years and they haven't even started tooling up for making the RHD version yet. I've ended up buying a Model S.

Also, don't get too excited about the Model Y yet. I've had a UK Model 3 on order for almost 2 years and they haven't even started tooling up for making the RHD version yet. I've ended up buying a Model S.

I feel for you guys. Though you do live in the UK, so that makes up for a lot!

I just moved from Canada to the right near Tesla in the Bay Area last year. Now, I never would have moved down here exclusively for that, but it has crossed my mind several times that it will likely mean I get my Model Y several months earlier.

Thanks.
Also, an electric pickup would need a much bigger battery to be useful. Probably twice as big.Battery is very expensive. Pickups are by their nature not as aerodynamic as sedans/SUVs, and towing absolutely KILLS the range.

...the crossover market (38.5%) is over twice the size of the pickup market (16.5%) in the US.

WSJ shows light trucks have been sold more than cars.

48KIKPMP.gif

MarkLines.com for 2018:

Passenger Cars 5,488,181
Light Trucks (Pickup Truck, SUV) 11,786,069

8Arg7uY.jpg

NBR Phil LeBeau on 2/7/2019:

The reason the Model Y is next up in the priority is it is built on the Model 3 platform and the pickup will almost certainly be a new platform. They can get the Model Y into production quickly and start getting profits from it coming in the door faster than the pickup. Since it's built on an existing platform, there will likely be fewer bugs to work out as they ramp production.

Reactions: 11thIndian
WSJ shows light trucks have been sold more than cars.

Well, sorta.

The chart you are quoting includes trucks, SUVs, vans, minivans, and crossovers all within the definition of "light trucks". If you look at the breakdown of vehicle types within the article, more than 2x the number of crossovers are sold each year than pickup trucks. And slightly more crossovers are sold than cars.

The largest US market segment is crossovers, followed by cars, then pickups. On a global scale, pickups also rank last.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
...and not only that, pickup owners are far more entenched in their brands than crossover (small- or mid-sized SUVs) owners.

As an example of that, look at how the Japanese full-size pickups have never really successfully penetrated the US market, whereas the Japanese CUVs dominate the non-pickup automotive market (with the #4, #5, and #6 best selling models in 2018 being Japanese CUVs).

And that's with Toyota trying to penetrate the full-size pickup market in the US for 26 years (although the T-100 wasn't considered a serious attempt by many, and they had to go back and do the Tundra), and Nissan for 15 years. Both were established in the compact pickup market, but that was a market that they basically made in the first place, and a lot of American full-size pickup buyers saw them as toys.

Note that there's speculation that the Tesla Pickup that's going to be unveiled will be a Class 6 pickup, which would be a very different strategy - move down from Class 8, through Class 6, into the Class 2/3 full-size pickup market, instead of the Japanese tactic of moving up from Class 1 compact/midsize pickups into Class 2a (and now Nissan has what's barely a Class 2b).

The reason the Model Y is next up in the priority is it is built on the Model 3 platform and the pickup will almost certainly be a new platform. They can get the Model Y into production quickly and start getting profits from it coming in the door faster than the pickup. Since it's built on an existing platform, there will likely be fewer bugs to work out as they ramp production.

The Model Y will most likely be the most popular Tesla too. In retrospect, its good the Y is coming after the 3 and the mistakes learned from it. If the Y ramp up goes smoother as expected, no one will remember the 3 ramp up problems.

It will be fascinating to see what Tesla has learned from its 3 mistakes. More robotics in production (hopefully higher quality), less wiring, tweaked battery packs, etc.

As an example of that, look at how the Japanese full-size pickups have never really successfully penetrated the US market, whereas the Japanese CUVs dominate the non-pickup automotive market (with the #4, #5, and #6 best selling models in 2018 being Japanese CUVs).

And that's with Toyota trying to penetrate the full-size pickup market in the US for 26 years (although the T-100 wasn't considered a serious attempt by many, and they had to go back and do the Tundra), and Nissan for 15 years. Both were established in the compact pickup market, but that was a market that they basically made in the first place, and a lot of American full-size pickup buyers saw them as toys.

Note that there's speculation that the Tesla Pickup that's going to be unveiled will be a Class 6 pickup, which would be a very different strategy - move down from Class 8, through Class 6, into the Class 2/3 full-size pickup market, instead of the Japanese tactic of moving up from Class 1 compact/midsize pickups into Class 2a (and now Nissan has what's barely a Class 2b).

In the private pickup market there is significantly more brand loyalty than in the car market in the US. However, at least half the pickup market is government/commercial and there the cost of ownership is the key factor in purchasing. There Tesla could end up with a big advantage and it would be smart for them to target that market first. Even if they don't make a lot of headway against the big 3 in the private market, if they dominated the commercial/government market, it would be a highly profitable business for them.