Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Court: Diesels must be banned from German cities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
German cities have problems with pollution.

Therefore they have banned certain cars with too much pollution from the cities. This goes for cars that don't clean the exhaust fumes to meet the standards set.

Now a court in Dusseldorf has decided that municipalities might be forced to ban all diesel powered cars from the city in order to improve the air quality

Deutsche Umwelthilfe erwirkt bahnbrechendes Urteil vor dem Verwaltungsgericht Düsseldorf: Diesel-Fahrverbote sind unausweichlich

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Unfortunately the german carmakers lobbyist's spread like cancer through the german government.

The "Blue Badge", which would have banned diesel cars from the cities, just got rejected:

Google Übersetzer

Funny though, that the politicians of the german federal states just decided to ban ALL new ICE cars in Germany from 2030 on:

Google Übersetzer

One should get exited about this news.... but... the cancerous german carmaker lobbyist's are probably already stacking up a nice big money pile - Walther White sized - to give it to the politicians. NOT AS A BRIBE! Good lord. Don't be silly. It's just a "donation". And they will probably discuss the post-politics career with some of the politicians... the german carmakers can always use some ex-politicians as consultants who are happy with an office with a view and a 7 digit salary.

is this really going to happen? or just a proposal that isn't approved yet?

Just a proposal. But it is coming from the Bundesrat and not just from a couple tree-huggers.

Will it happen? I don't think so - the german carmakers lobbyist's are already rallying against it:

Google Übersetzer

It is pathetic. Under the article there is a vote (with more than 100,000 participants) and more than 50% say it would be a good idea to ban all new ICE cars by 2030 in Germany (and it would only be the new ICE cars - so nobody would get his old 30 hp beetle taken away). 15% say 2050 would be early enough and only less than one third says "f*** this".

But even if 90% of the german people would want a ban for new ICE cars in 2030, the politicians would never do it.

The german carmakers lobbyist's would through millions and millions "donations" at the politicians (perfectly legal, not a bribe.... noooo) and probably offer them 7-digit salary consultant jobs for their post-politics career.

The thing which really makes me sad: there are so many great engineers and qualified workers working for the german ICE companies. They would have no problem to build great electric cars by 2030. It is their top management which is stuck in the past. They just don't get it. The combustion engine is like a child to them and electric cars threaten their child.

Well, but maybe I am wrong. I really hope so.

Just a proposal. But it is coming from the Bundesrat and not just from a couple tree-huggers.

Will it happen? I don't think so - the german carmakers lobbyist's are already rallying against it:

Google Übersetzer

It is pathetic. Under the article there is a vote (with more than 100,000 participants) and more than 50% say it would be a good idea to ban all new ICE cars by 2030 in Germany (and it would only be the new ICE cars - so nobody would get his old 30 hp beetle taken away). 15% say 2050 would be early enough and only less than one third says "f*** this".

But even if 90% of the german people would want a ban for new ICE cars in 2030, the politicians would never do it.

The german carmakers lobbyist's would through millions and millions "donations" at the politicians (perfectly legal, not a bribe.... noooo) and probably offer them 7-digit salary consultant jobs for their post-politics career.

The thing which really makes me sad: there are so many great engineers and qualified workers working for the german ICE companies. They would have no problem to build great electric cars by 2030. It is their top management which is stuck in the past. They just don't get it. The combustion engine is like a child to them and electric cars threaten their child.

Well, but maybe I am wrong. I really hope so.
50% is pretty high percentage of German agreeing with the ban.
Don't worry, if Germany automakers don't want to act, or politicians will ban this proposal. Consumers has the ultimate say of what products will exists in the free market world, if they don't act, it simply means companies like Tesla will totally dominate the German market by 2030.