Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Courtesy info supercharging station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does sound like the key bits of always publicly available information when charging are state of charge and how long the vehicle has been there since hitting full charge.

With longer cables and denser charger layouts (grid layout versus single row layout), it would be far easier to park in one of a number of spots (4 or more depending upon layout) to gain access to an available charger. In that scenario, one of multiple nearby cables would reach a particular parking space, and someone in queue for charging would park / loiter accordingly.

You know, a white board on each supercharger with lines for your phone number and start time would be a simple (and dirt cheap) start. Scribble your number on the board, go grab your snack, and be all set if you finish charging and someone shows up wanting the spot they just call you.

You know, a white board on each supercharger with lines for your phone number and start time would be a simple (and dirt cheap) start. Scribble your number on the board, go grab your snack, and be all set if you finish charging and someone shows up wanting the spot they just call you.

At the foot of each whiteboard could be a squeegee and a bucket of water for de-bugging while you charge too. The only SC I've been at so far that had a convenient solution to this problem was the old SC by the gas station at Harris Ranch. No regular squeegee access is the one major downside of not having to routinely visit a gas station.

Those squeegees are always filthy. I just have a bottle of mobile detailer spray and 6 or so large microfiber towels in the trunk. It takes a lot longer to clean but you've got the time.
This is great idea. Also you are keeping an eye on the car/charge level and who might arrive that needs a charge. Gotta find some ways to cut down the tension over SC usage.

This is great idea. Also you are keeping an eye on the car/charge level and who might arrive that needs a charge. Gotta find some ways to cut down the tension over SC usage.

On my recent road trip down to SD (from the bay area) and back, I never encountered a single instance in which the SC's were too busy. This seemed odd to me; it could be because I was driving at relatively odd hours (very late Sunday night).

Next time I do go for a charge though, I will be Tweeting my arrival time and estimated charge completion.

I went to the Delaware I95 SC today about 3pm EST: No one charging. Took about 20min to put in about '80 miles'. Never saw another S but there was an old ICE vehicle 'icing' one of the spots. Waited about 15 minutes after charging to see if the person ever came to get his/her car..nothing.... On the East Coast at this point the problem is more with ICING than Teslas waiting on Teslas.

Also, as has been mentioned. I think Tesla should put future SCs along the route TO destinations, NOT AT destinations (malls/movie theatres, etc.) as places that are on the way to someplace have people moving in/out quickly versus the 'destination SCs' which tend to attract people who use it to charge and as a parking spot.

Also, as has been mentioned. I think Tesla should put future SCs along the route TO destinations, NOT AT destinations (malls/movie theatres, etc.) as places that are on the way to someplace have people moving in/out quickly versus the 'destination SCs' which tend to attract people who use it to charge and as a parking spot.

I wholeheartedly agree. People should only plan to take a quick bio break, or get a quick bite, or check your email, etc. while Supercharging. With the 120 kW rates, there is no time to do anything else. Tesla would be well served to avoid "attractions" like outlet malls and movie theatres that are temptations for overuse. To my mind, the LESS there is to do outside the car, the better!

- - - Updated - - -

I want to restate my idea: Tesla should make the brake light in the rear window light up in segments, indicating state of charge so you can find the car which is nearest to complete its session. Another way would be to have the cars at a SC location broadcast their progress to an app that runs on the Model S touchscreen. Endless options here.

But in the end, all of this is moot if the owners don't show up and move their cars.

Very good ideas! If offending overstayers are both notified persistently and identifiable, I think there will be a strong incentive to get back and get going!

I've never used a Supercharger but you have a general idea though, right? If you pull in with 100 miles of rated range and do a max range Supercharge at 120kWh you know it isn't going to be more than 20-30 min at most meaning going for a 2-3 hour movie will be blocking the spot for much longer than necessary.
Quick note: If you're going to come up with SWAGs, remember that we're still at 90 kW at every public supercharger and the old tapering algorithm is still in effect. Combine that with the "First at full rate, second at slower rate" and 2 hours to charge from 0 to "trip full" is very possible.

I didn't read every post on this thread, but has anybody proposed using the phone app to send an alarm when your charging is done? I have parked at Folsom and gone shopping, which can stretch a half hour into an hour. When I was there, there have never been any other cars waiting. But if I had an alarm on my phone to alert me to when I have finished charging, I would go to the car and move it. If the phone app is updated to allow you to pick the amount of charge, like the 4.5 software does, you could set the charge for only the amount you need. The problem with the other solutions (except maybe the brake light proposal) if that there is no way for the other drivers to know when your car is fully charged. So you could get a bunch of phone calls before your car is finished charging. The phone app would be more efficient. Thoughts?

Now that I have Superchargers in my state I've become interested in this discussion ;-)

Part of the issue (in my opinion) is that Tesla set out from the beginning to place Superchargers in between origin and destination, and at places where there's stuff to do while you wait. It was a plan based upon the fact that you generally want to stop and grab a bite to eat after driving "300 miles", and I think that it was a good plan. I particularly liked it because I didn't want Superchargers to be compared with gas stations, and made them more of a side effect of when you would stop to eat/shop anyway. But pressure from the Broden story and the financial markets created demand for faster charging, and a denser placement of the chargers.

To implement the original plan, the land owners and businesses near the chargers were sold on increased revenue. "People will eat at your restaurants, shop in your stores, etc."

Now you can likely get the charge you need in 20 minutes, which isn't enough time for a sit-down meal. The Fort Myers, FL Supercharger is in a giant mall, with loads of shops I'd like to visit.

I like many of the solutions proposed above. I would love it if there could be a solution where there are enough spots for everyone and long (maybe multiple?) cables, so that when the car is done charging another car can start using the capacity *without* it being necessary for the owner to be there. That would be the ideal solution that would be both convenient for the car owner, and fulfill the promises to local businesses.

I like many of the solutions proposed above. I would love it if there could be a solution where there are enough spots for everyone and long (maybe multiple?) cables, so that when the car is done charging another car can start using the capacity *without* it being necessary for the owner to be there. That would be the ideal solution that would be both convenient for the car owner, and fulfill the promises to local businesses.

That's what they have the port sharing for. There are 2x as many spots as there is power to saturate.

Interestingly, some of the patents describe more advanced systems that can do n:m port sharing, so you could imagine something like an 8 bay station that can saturate any 4 bays at a time, without worry about pairing restrictions with the current stations.

That's what they have the port sharing for. There are 2x as many spots as there is power to saturate.

Interestingly, some of the patents describe more advanced systems that can do n:m port sharing, so you could imagine something like an 8 bay station that can saturate any 4 bays at a time, without worry about pairing restrictions with the current stations.

Yes, n:m might be enough to accomplish what I suggest (I haven't read all of the patents). I would like to see a virtually unlimited number of charge cords, with a way to limit the draw on a single charger, so only two cars could draw from one charger (as it is today), even though there are many cords that could connect to that charger. In that scenario, even going to the movies would be okay.

Add a queuing system and it's even better.

You would still need somewhere to park.

Yes, n:m might be enough to accomplish what I suggest (I haven't read all of the patents). I would like to see a virtually unlimited number of charge cords, with a way to limit the draw on a single charger, so only two cars could draw from one charger (as it is today), even though there are many cords that could connect to that charger. In that scenario, even going to the movies would be okay.

Add a queuing system and it's even better.

> Now you can likely get the charge you need in 20 minutes, which isn't enough time for a sit-down meal. [aviators99]

With the first regional SC currently a-building 135 miles away I'm guessing it will be tail gating for me & the Navigator. To be nearer all those Amps & Volts as we choose which scenic route to return by. Don't think 'SC Cruising' will get old anytime soon!!
--

Nothing drives like a TESLA.

You would still need somewhere to park.

Yes, that's why I reference long cables. The software part is pretty simple. The industrial design part is not (and not an area of expertise for me). If cars that are compatible with the Superchargers take off, there's a lot you can do. I could envision parking spots remote from the chargers themselves that have their own plugs.

Using the UMC, you can easily find out if another cars charge is in progress or complete by pressing the handle release button. Solid green, charge complete; flashing green, charging. The fob is not needed. I have not tried that at a Supercharger - has anyone?

If that does work at a Supercharger and everyone would leave contact info on the dash, it could help in easing congestion problems.