Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Courtesy info supercharging station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't fully understand why this is necessary. I'm currently waiting on delivery of my Model S, so I don't have the perspective of real-world use, but in my opinion you should only park at a SC for as long as you need to charge. You should monitor your status and move the car after it is full. Therefore there shouldn't be much of a need to ask people to move, because if they are charging, they need it. The idea that you can use SCs as parking spaces while you go to the movies or do other long tasks without returning is just rude. IMO you have a responsibility to more your car when full!
You might not have the Tesla yet but you are wise in knowing Tesla etiquette.

often times we can get caught up with other things. I can certainly see catching a movie as one.

I think we almost universally agree that seeing a movie while using a Supercharger is not OK. Even the OP acknowledged it's not OK. I've only used a SC a couple of times but both times I only stayed as long as I needed to get the minimum range I needed and I didn't leave the area.

I think we almost universally agree that seeing a movie while using a Supercharger is not OK. Even the OP acknowledged it's not OK. I've only used a SC a couple of times but both times I only stayed as long as I needed to get the minimum range I needed and I didn't leave the area.

But as I said, this doesn't jive with the pitch to the businesses in the area (see the link I posted 3 above this one).

I think the difference is "transaction time". Most of the pitches I have seen for the SC are along the lines of grab coffee or lunch while you grab some electrons, which is the "win-win" scenario--we get a place to top off and the property owner gets some incremental business. I think this falls apart when when people camp out at the charger.

This is not exclusively an SuperCharger issue or a Tesla issue, BTW. My work provides free L2 EV charging via Blink, which is cool, but we still have the issue of Model S, Leaf and Fisker owners who plug-in the morning, then leave their cars sitting their all day.

Omar

> Model S, Leaf and Fisker owners who plug-in the morning, then leave their cars sitting their all day. [omar]

Follow them to their office & compile a list with their plate numbers. If necessary pull them out of the woodwork using a bullhorn. Once s/b enough.
--

@wycolo: LOL

The folks running the program actually have a good plan. They get reports from Blink on usage, so they can tell who is staying plugged in well past the point of being charged. If someone continually abuses the system, they will cancel their free charging privileges. The program is pretty new, so they are cutting everyone some slack right now, but I think they will soon start tightening the screws.

O

<snip> -we get a place to top off and the property owner gets some incremental business. I think this falls apart when when people camp out at the charger.

This is not exclusively an SuperCharger issue or a Tesla issue, BTW. My work provides free L2 EV charging via Blink, which is cool, but we still have the issue of Model S, Leaf and Fisker owners who plug-in the morning, then leave their cars sitting their all day.

Omar

Omar,

I'm not sure where you work, I'm taking it for a second that these are public L2 chargers.

I'll totally own parking at L2 chargers and leaving my car for 16 hours, and I blame the L2 chargers that are installed just about everywhere in the US. When I'm using L2 chargers, it's because I'm on a trip. If I'm on a trip, I've exhausted most if not all of my battery. When I plug into a L2 charger, 99 times out of a hundred I'm charging at 30Amps at 200 Volts (or less). At this rate, it's just about 16 hours for me to fill up my car. Every article I see about L2 chargers always likes to use 4-6 hours for a full charge* (*charge of a Nissan Leaf battery), and I don't think that the shops/businesses understand how long it really takes to charge on these chargers for us.

Peter

Last edited:
Peter:

These are actually private chargers--the company is picking up the tab for charging while at work. They are administered by Blink, but you need to be an employee with a registered Blink card (or get a guest card from the lobby ambassador) to use them (they show up as private EVSE on the Blink map). I understand your point, but in this case, most users are folks that are commuting into work from within the Bay Area - folks like me are the exception.

The company is opening up a total 80 L2 chargers by the end of Aug, so hopefully that will help alleviate things a bit. As I said earlier, its a young program and I think we will get things figured out one way or the other.

O