Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Courtyard Marriott's $20 plug fee.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You cannot assume that any given hotel is owned by the corporate parent - many are owned by franchisees, so the "its a big company" argument is not necessarily valid--just because there is a big name on the front of the building, the establishment might be a small business for all intents and purposes.

Beyond that, I am really not sure what your complaint is here. They put in a charger at some cost to themselves. They were thoughtful enough to put in a HPWC instead of going the ChargePoint route, so I assume you benefitted from faster charging. And they charged you for another $5 for a second charging session after you had checked out. Expecting an establishment to offer services when you are no longer a guest is not, IMO, reasonable. Posting a negative review specifically referencing charging is not helpful as it reinforces the image that we EV owners are whiny and entitled.

The way I see it, is I would specifically go out of my way to stay at a hotel because it has an HPWC. They're getting a couple hundred dollars of business that they otherwise would never have gotten simply due to the fact that they have a charger. It only takes a few people who do the same to completely pay for the installation of the charger, and any cost of electricity. A full charge on an HPWC should only cost them like $6 anyway. I'd be fine paying that, but $20 reeks of gouging.

Hello All,

First, I'd like to say the question is not whether $20 was unreasonable. As per the linked article, "Tesla has largely picked up the tab for the cost of both the charging hardware and the installation" at hotels. In addition, Tesla insists Supercharging remain "free." So, I was asking if a hotel charging is counter to Tesla's intent.

Next...I didn't expect this to get so passionate and I appreciate the discussion. I think people's minds are made up though. Either $20 is fine so quit whining. Or, $20 is nickle-&-diming a paying client over an incremental expense.

I will answer some questions that have come up.
1) There were two other charging options in town. Both appear to be car dealerships so, who knows if they would have been free.
2) I did select this hotel over the competition for the charger. It was a differentiator and that should have been it's own reward.
3) Given the choice, I admit would still pay to charge overnight at this hotel rather than sit at a free charger for hours.
4)
According to a Plugshare review, the fee applies to customers and non-customers alike. If the fee were disclosed in advance and I were a tightwad, I could have paid the $15 to charge and stay at a more affordable establishment.

Ultimately, I traveled 3,000km and stopped at a half dozen hotels. Some with HPWC, some with J1772 and some with basic wall plugs. This was the most expensive and the only one with an additional fee.

Was I spoiled by the free ride? Perhaps... but, the proprietor should know an additional fee is an anomaly. Moreover, the 'standard' fee was not disclosed to me in advance nor, the modified cost for my request. Imagine requesting an extra pillow, the staff say "yes sir. We'd be happy to help" and you find a $5 pillow fee later on. I feel hotels add features to make them more enticing. Some guests watch TV, some use the pool, and some use the EV charger. It should even out.

In addition, if their rationale is power consumption, they (like most people who commented) should make sure I was empty. $20 would fill the car three times over. That too makes it seem opportunistic.

As a final annoyance, a survey asked if I was impressed their environmental policy. No other hotel touted environmental policy yet they were more passionate about charging an electric car.

Last edited:
The way I see it, is I would specifically go out of my way to stay at a hotel because it has an HPWC. They're getting a couple hundred dollars of business that they otherwise would never have gotten simply due to the fact that they have a charger. It only takes a few people who do the same to completely pay for the installation of the charger, and any cost of electricity. A full charge on an HPWC should only cost them like $6 anyway. I'd be fine paying that, but $20 reeks of gouging.
Courtyard by Marriott rooms typically aren't "a couple hundred dollars" and a full charge is more than $6 in most if the country. They also have more cost than just the variable cost of electricity. And the fee for charging overnight was $15, not $20-- the extra $5 was when he stopped there for another charge on his way home, without staying another night. It's not gouging unless the OP didn't have any other option, but he does, he could drive an ICE instead if he doesn't want to pay to charge overnight.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello All,

First, I'd like to say the question is not whether $20 was unreasonable. As per the linked article, "Tesla has largely picked up the tab for the cost of both the charging hardware and the installation" at hotels. In addition, Tesla insists Supercharging remain "free."
This has nothing to do with supercharging.

I was prepared for a $15 fee to use their Tesla charger. They upped that to $20 because I asked to plug in on my way back later the same day.
Comments?

This is why I would be upset if I was the OP. I would have assumed the $15 charge was for the use of the HPWC for the day during my stay. Almost all hotels allow for in and out privileges and I too would have given a poor review for poor customer service which is mine and the OP's right.

Hello All,

First, I'd like to say the question is not whether $20 was unreasonable. As per the linked article, "Tesla has largely picked up the tab for the cost of both the charging hardware and the installation" at hotels. In addition, Tesla insists Supercharging remain "free." So, I was asking if a hotel charging is counter to Tesla's intent.

This has nothing to do with supercharging.

I don't think anyone was saying this was related to supercharging. I just saw the OP asking if this was Tesla's intent, given that they've been footing the bill for destination charging.

It is my understanding that Tesla has (so far) been picking up the tab for equipment AND installation. I've worked with a couple of hotels that will make my roadtrips more convenient and they haven't had to bear the cost (which also included a J1772 for non-Model S owners). Thank you, Tesla.

I do find the cost a bit high, given the fact that the OP was a guest there (even if not staying on the return trip). My experience with Marriott's has been drastically different - on roadtrips, once I've shown my membership card, they've let me use the business center, for instance, even though not a guest.

And I find the assertion by the general manager that they're recovering real costs for equipment and labor to be disingenuous, at the very least - maybe they're returning the money to Tesla? (hah) :

Dear Guest. When Tesla reached out to us for help connecting the charging dots for drivers hoping to venture further north in Wisconsin, we were happy to support the company's vision and make the investment into the charger station. There is a cost associated with installing the charger and the energy required to recharge your EV. With Telsa’s support, we treat this as a very special amenity that the guest using it should support in the cost and the guests not using it do not support the cost. We are glad we could make it possible with this charging station to extend your trip to another 100km north. General Manager”

I don't have an issue with some reimbursement. But the rationale provided for the high fee was questionable.

This is why I would be upset if I was the OP. I would have assumed the $15 charge was for the use of the HPWC for the day during my stay. Almost all hotels allow for in and out privileges and I too would have given a poor review for poor customer service which is mine and the OP's right.

I have yet to stay at a hotel that allows in-and-out privs once you check out.

Courtyard by Marriott rooms typically aren't "a couple hundred dollars" and a full charge is more than $6 in most if the country. They also have more cost than just the variable cost of electricity. And the fee for charging overnight was $15, not $20-- the extra $5 was when he stopped there for another charge on his way home, without staying another night. It's not gouging unless the OP didn't have any other option, but he does, he could drive an ICE instead if he doesn't want to pay to charge .

Oh come on. You made some good points but that last sentence is beyond lame. He could just stay at a different hotel from now on if he doesn't like their policy. Why does he have to drive an ICE car in this scenario? This Marriott will lose out on many more times the amount of money than they would have charged him to use the charger. OP may not have minded paying the fee but I would go out of my way to avoid a hotel that pulled this crap. Just charge me for the electricity I actually use, or start charging your guests a pool fee, tv fee, tennis court fee, etc. The idea of charging paying guests double or triple the cost of electricity to use your charger is asinine. Non-paying guests is a different story, but it should still be a per-kwh charge, period.

Disparaging hotels that have a fee for charging is not going to advance the cause.

It's a dumbass move to charge extra to paying customers. I stand by that statement. They're within their rights to, but it's dumb.

If you're running a hotel and you talk to Sun Country Highway about installing a charger, they will tell you what the most successful business model is. The answer is: make charging a perk of patronizing the business.

Marriott has a tradition of adding additional costs to their stay. They recently were legally challenged on their blocking of their customers' WiFi hotspots - so they could charge for it. BTW - Marriott lost this one. Saying that, they are a great chain, and generally provide an excellent stay. I don't mind paying for extra services, as long as I know it, going in.....

My guess is that this reply will go unread but here goes:

I'm a commercial real estate attorney, and some of my clients are in the hospitality business. As a Model S Owner, I've reached out to them to determine their appetite for the Destination Charging Program which Tesla offers. The reply across the board was: "Great idea. What's it going to cost me?"

I reached out to the person responsible for Destination Charging for the Southeast US and received the following: 1) All Destination Charging properties are approved in advance; 2) Tesla provide the equipment for free, including J1772 charging; 3) Tesla will provide a $1,500 credit towards the installation costs of each charging station (which is the average cost); 4) while each property may charge a fee for destination, Tesla PREFERS that this is provided as a guest amenity, for free; recommendation, depending on the property is for 2-3 Tesla HPWC equivalent chargers and one (1) J1772 charger.

The "cost" to the hotel owner is pretty minimal - any added fees for running current to the chargers, and possibly a switch at the desk (most properties apparently allow the employees to control charging so that non-guests are unable to simply plug-in, charge, and leave), plus the kWh fee for the electric. As most cars don't show up at a destination with an empty battery, thereby not requiring a full charge, the charge for this amenity is more than likely less than $10/vehicle charging.

For my clients, this is a no-brainer, as Tesla owners are more often than not going to return, not trash the room, etc.

Getting to the OP's post - no, Tesla doesn't demand that this is free to guests, but they do prefer it. Marriott's are independent licensee's, and are free to make this decision on their own. If they prefer to have you pay to charge, that is their option. Good business sense? Up for debate. Good Karma? Probably not.

At this stage of the game on where we are in the EV adoption in the US, I think we will be shooting ourselves in the foot for being petty on $20 overnight charging, let alone $5 OP is complaining

Let's all be happy that these chargers are even available. And remember that there is an indirect cost to the establishment by reserving a few parking spots for Tesla.

I say the same thing for the high blink charges I keep hearing.

No one complains on $3 for the drab coffee Starbucks charges, while the same coffee costs you only 50c for you to make at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree. I'd be happy to pay a little extra for charging if that means they'll install decent charging for overnight. $5-10 a day seems reasonable but can't be picky at this point. Still think including it for free as a perk to pick the hotel works better for them but anything is better than nothing.

I agree with the general sentiment that as a community we would do well to not engender a feeling of "no good deed goes unpunished" within the hospitality (or other) industries by lodging complaints if a perk is not offered for free.

I factor all my other trip expenses in to my travel plans, including fuel for my ICE vehicles", I don't see why charging would be any different. I also understand that he price I pay for an item/service at a hotel is going to be different (i.e. more) than the raw cost of an item. I also don't feel it unreasonable to pay a small service fee for using an item/amenity once I've checked out of a hotel.

The only issue I see a problem with is perhaps the hotel not disclosing the cost ahead of time. But even there, I'm not sure that's terribly out of line. The difference between "WiFi included" and "WiFi available" is reasonably well understood. I don't see shy charging would be any different.

That having been said, would hotels perhaps be smart to offer this for free as a way to attract customers? Likely, as others have said. Despite Tesla picking some of the initial costs up, does the hotel also incur some expense for electricity, ongoing administration, administration, etc...? Also likely. So, it's nice that Tesla indicate they would prefer it be a free perk, it's not unreasonable for some hotels to charge for it.

As such, I'd avoid complaining about it specifically. I'd prefer to praise other companies to offer charging for free, rather than criticizing those that don't. I'd suggest mentioning the HPWC as a positive, but then noting "however, there is a $15 charge to use it", might be the right tone.

After all, the option to pay $15 over night to get a full charge that save me time/and or extra travel distance to get home could be a very convenient option. It also might allow for in-area travel over a period of days that might have otherwise been difficult. Furthermore they were actually cooperative and gave you a substantially reduced fee after you checked out.

Let's not be viewed as a "difficult" community...

(Incidentally I see the title of this thread as slightly misleading)

Last edited:
I get absolutely p***ed when big hotels with conference rooms and other business amenities charge a fee for wifi.

Why? because WiFi is an essential service to even a vacationer let alone a business traveller. Same with charging $5 for a bottle of water in your room. To me it is like as essential as say, using an elevator to get to your room at 10th floor. You Build it into your overall cost model.

[That practice has now decreased given that 4G is so widely prevalent in the US, but not so much in Europe. ]

On the other hand EV adoption is so much in its infancy, the establishments are even wondering if it is even worth going through the trouble of installing one and reserving prime spaces.

90% of your decision making to stay at a place should be based on whether charging facilities are available or not. If it is free I will be more worried a Leaf or Volt or worse a PiP will be hogging the space as it often a happens in my office.

I reached out to the person responsible for Destination Charging for the Southeast US and received the following: 1) All Destination Charging properties are approved in advance; 2) Tesla provide the equipment for free, including J1772 charging; 3) Tesla will provide a $1,500 credit towards the installation costs of each charging station (which is the average cost); 4) while each property may charge a fee for destination, Tesla PREFERS that this is provided as a guest amenity, for free; recommendation, depending on the property is for 2-3 Tesla HPWC equivalent chargers and one (1) J1772 charger.

Getting to the OP's post - no, Tesla doesn't demand that this is free to guests, but they do prefer it. Marriott's are independent licensee's, and are free to make this decision on their own. If they prefer to have you pay to charge, that is their option. Good business sense? Up for debate. Good Karma? Probably not.

Karma-it is great to get facts in the brave new world of EV charging, and very much appreciated. Speculation is fine, but data is invaluable. Thanks.

I completely disagree that we should be sooo thankful some hotels have charging that we should just bend over and take it. There are PLENTY if not the MAJORITY of hotels that offer charging doing so for free and somehow they are NOT GOING UNDER from the MASSIVE "administration" costs, lmao. (Again, even if they just charged a fee for electricity used I'd be less offended than an arbitrary doubling of the cost)

If anything, if hotels see they can nickle and dime us this way, more and more will start jumping on the bandwagon, realizing they can squeeze a few more dimes out of us "desperate" EV drivers. I ain't gonna stand for this and neither should anyone else.

just my opinion :)

Another twist to the destination chargers at hotels that assess a fee for guests: How many $15 fees do I pay if I stay four nights and charge once--twice--four times? I am going to go out on a limb here and assume facts not in evidence: The decision to charge a fee was made by someone at the hotel who gave it 2 seconds thought and moved onto something else. He/she did not know how much or how long an average charge would take a Tesla owner, nor did he/she think that this might draw customers to that hotel instead of a competitor. Moreover, it seems absurd to charge a flat fee for electricity that might take 30 kWh for one user and 65 kWh for another.

Some travelers would rather stay across the street for $35 less per night and charge at the hotel with the $15 fee, as they would save twenty bucks.

I am in agreement with most of the folks here in that full disclosure up front saves a lot of ill feelings later.