Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cover for rear cargo area with rear seats folded down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
With our two Model S cars, there is a cover over the rear storage area, concealing what is being stored behind the rear seats.

When we get our Model X (hopefully next month), we're likely to drive most of the time with the rear seats folded down, giving us more storage in the back when we are driving around town or on road trips.

But the contents of the rear are visible through the back and side windows.

Tesla doesn't offer a rear cargo cover, similar to the Model S - and I haven't found anything online from 3rd parties.

Has anyone solved this problem?

Lack of a response appears to confirm this is a problem that hasn't yet been solved...

Or maybe not a problem. Personally, I am relying on the dark window tint and the ample below deck (covered) storage. With the variety of possible seat configurations, let alone up or down, and the FWD, I don’t think a shelf is practical in the X.

Reactions: xyeahtony
It might take something as simple as black fabric to lay over the items in the back, coupled with the heavy tinting, that may be sufficient. Though it would be nice to have the equivalent of the S rear cargo cover, something that comes with many SUVs...

Reactions: Kacey Green
I just have dark tint 35% .. there isn’t anywhere to hook a parcel shelf in

Some X's do have a place to hook in. Tesla originally designed it with a parcel shelf in mind; but never released one. So technically one could be made to fit, but there isn't one available that I know of.

Has anyone solved this problem?

I also have an S and while I find the shelf neccessary on the S, I don't think it's neccessary on the X. The S rear hatch isn't tinted at all - I actually had to go get mine tinted at 35% to keep light out for my RFS. Even that is lighter than what most SUV's have, which is a factory tint of ~20% on the rear windows and back window. The Model X is even darker with ~10% tint on the rear and back windows (measured by light meter) so it is very difficult to see what's actually inside. This is especially true if you have black headliner as well. For comparison, a limo is tinted at 5%.

The other thing is that the rear hatch is quite tall on the Model X. I'm 6' tall and while I can see straight inside the car, I can't quite see down into the hatch to see what's inside. This doesn't solve the problem, but hopefully it helps for peace of mind.

Car-tinting-percentage.jpg

Reactions: Kacey Green