Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cover that conceals what is in rear cargo area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Darryl

ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm
Jul 27, 2015
Palm Beach FL
When I went to pick up my Model X P90DL there was no cover that conceals what is in the cargo area. On the Model S P85 I have a folding flap that hides what you have in the trunk. It rested on the shelf. I was sure there was one of these on the Model X and it was even listed in one of the posts but I was told they are no longer are providing it anymore. I ask when did they do away with it and she said February. Of course my car had been at the SC since late January so it really doesn't make since.

Those who have taken delivery did you get a cover for the cargo area? I also didn't get the sun screen but at least there was a waybill in the glove compartment for it.

When I went to pick up my Model X P90DL there was no cover that conceals what is in the cargo area. On the Model S P85 I have a folding flap that hides what you have in the trunk. It rested on the shelf. I was sure there was one of these on the Model X and it was even listed in one of the posts but I was told they are no longer are providing it anymore. I ask when did they do away with it and she said February. Of course my car had been at the SC since late January so it really doesn't make since.

Those who have taken delivery did you get a cover for the cargo area? I also didn't get the sun screen but at least there was a waybill in the glove compartment for it.

I took delivery of Sig 2 & there was no cover like the Model S - there is a lower cover for the footwell that can be in a couple of different positions. But no cargo cover to prevent people from seeing inside (also called a 'package shelf' for the S).

On the other hand, have you tried looking from the outside to see what's back there in that area? Darn near impossible with the heavy tint. I never saw it as an issue.

I've always felt that cargo covers were a waste of time, even a bad idea. Never used them in other SUV's that came with them. To me it says to some would-be thief "I have something under here I don't want you to see."

As I understand it, and in the two X's I've seen, there is still the cover/ shelf that goes over the lower cargo well space behind the rear seats.

I love the cargo cover in my RDX, but it is a bit more thought out than most of the cargo covers I've seen.

It's solid, but it raises automatically when you raise the hatch (simply attached with cords and pivots up, simple and convenient). It is finished to look like any other body panel so it looks more like a permanent rear shelf than an insert to hide things. When you need to remove it to haul something larger it fits into an indentation in the floor where it takes almost no volume, flips over so it creates a durable plastic surface to protect the carpet in the rear storage area, and doesn't need to be dealt with specially. Living near a large city it's a rule that you can't leave anything visible in the car or you'll return to a broken window - tinting helps, but hidden is key.

The OCD in me also likes the compartmentalization of having a separated space for people and "things". Seeing luggage and carry alongs over the rear seat looks unfinished to me.

I would also love to see a solution that protects cargo in the rear from spilling forward when the 3rd row is folded. The second row seats would partially serve that purpose, but at the expense of things falling into the gap and possibly marking up the seat backs. For smaller items a cargo net that holds things to the floor would be nice and for larger items a barrier that can clip or snap into place across the C pillar area would be great...

If the MX wasn't such a great car, this might be a real deal killer. For those of us who travel in urban areas, even a shadow can lead to trouble. I love my new X, but I really need to design something that doesn't look terrible for this purpose. I think that it was a Cali-centric move to take away even the ledge that offered a possibly for a security cover.

No cargo cover came with our X except the lower well cover. I'm not quite sure how you'd see much back there anyway with the super tinted windows and such a small space behind the third row. I'd say put everything in the lower, closed compartment or just carry a black sheet you can throw over the top of your items in the rear.

In SF Bay Area, I've had my rear quarter panel window broken twice when there was nothing left out to steal. I think it is because the tint is so strong that thieves want to see inside to see if I left anything in the back. That window is too small to steal through so I guess they are just taking a "look see" and will break a larger window to steal anything visible. Thank you, I guess?

I have started leaving my rear windows cracked a couple inches so the thieves can "look see" and realize nothing there. I do wish there was a way to leave valuables in the back protected for when I am on a road trip though. Anyone DIY anything? I could throw a truck cargo bin in the back I suppose.

DeeZee Cargo Box DZ6537P - Read Reviews on DeeZee #DZ6537P

I asked this elsewhere - and was met with silence.

An online search indicates there are covers for the "floor" but nothing like the S parcel shelf.

Many people believe the darker tinting in the back may be sufficient, though when our X arrives next month, I'll look for a DIY solution.

It may be difficult to install a shelf like the S, due to the design of the interior. A simpler solution may be to get black fabric (a large sheet?) that can be quickly draped over items stored in the back. While not as good as having a "parcel shelf" type cover, that may be good enough, especially when coupled with the darker windows.

I asked this elsewhere - and was met with silence.

An online search indicates there are covers for the "floor" but nothing like the S parcel shelf.

Many people believe the darker tinting in the back may be sufficient, though when our X arrives next month, I'll look for a DIY solution.

It may be difficult to install a shelf like the S, due to the design of the interior. A simpler solution may be to get black fabric (a large sheet?) that can be quickly draped over items stored in the back. While not as good as having a "parcel shelf" type cover, that may be good enough, especially when coupled with the darker windows.

I wonder if it would be possible to modify an existing design that anther manufacturer is currently using.

Ie in the BMW X3, bmw uses a scrolling cloth / vinyl material that attaches behind the upper back of the second row of seating, and when pulled all the way open it attaches at the back to the rear of the cargo area. It takes up very little space when it automatically scrolls back up when released, and when you remove it it stores away taking up very little space too.

Perhaps we could pool our ideas and maybe there’s something out there that might already fit, or that would fit with slight modification..just a matter of finding it.

Exactly what I do, I have some large black towels in my trunk and I used them to hide some grocery shopping bags,
or to cover some big boxes of toilet paper that can only fit on a back seat, after going shopping at Costco.

The early cars had little-person finger traps along the side and a trim piece on the hatch to accommodate a rollable cover which nobody or almost nobody actually received. My car did not have the rear trim piece and when they widened the elbow room in the third row they also got rid of the dangerous attachment points.

The early cars had little-person finger traps along the side and a trim piece on the hatch to accommodate a rollable cover which nobody or almost nobody actually received. My car did not have the rear trim piece and when they widened the elbow room in the third row they also got rid of the dangerous attachment points.

Wow! the TMC community is an amazing treasure trove of knowledge!

I had never heard of that before - do you have any pics ? - I wonder if the part could be ordered and retrofitted alongside a cover that they may have made for it

We went through something similar to this in 2013 with the S. The parcel shelf was a $250 option. Many people didn't realize it,didn't order it, and didn't get it - literally. So there was a scramble to get them from those that didn't use them or buy them through the service centers. Sometime later, Tesla just made it part of the standard package and saved everyone the hassle. Deja vu - all over again?