TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Cover that conceals what is in rear cargo area

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Darryl, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Darryl

Darryl Co-Adm

Jul 27, 2015
    When I went to pick up my Model X P90DL there was no cover that conceals what is in the cargo area. On the Model S P85 I have a folding flap that hides what you have in the trunk. It rested on the shelf. I was sure there was one of these on the Model X and it was even listed in one of the posts but I was told they are no longer are providing it anymore. I ask when did they do away with it and she said February. Of course my car had been at the SC since late January so it really doesn't make since.

Those who have taken delivery did you get a cover for the cargo area? I also didn't get the sun screen but at least there was a waybill in the glove compartment for it.
  2. CaliX

CaliX Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Los Angeles
    It kinda makes sense that they did away with it. I noticed the one I looked at had it but when it was closed to greatly reduced the storage area behind the 3rd row. I was thinking when mine came in I would remove it.
  3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Feb 6, 2011
    Columbia River Gorge
    I took delivery of Sig 2 & there was no cover like the Model S - there is a lower cover for the footwell that can be in a couple of different positions. But no cargo cover to prevent people from seeing inside (also called a 'package shelf' for the S).

On the other hand, have you tried looking from the outside to see what's back there in that area? Darn near impossible with the heavy tint. I never saw it as an issue.
  4. Monkey

Monkey Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Golden, CO
    I've always felt that cargo covers were a waste of time, even a bad idea. Never used them in other SUV's that came with them. To me it says to some would-be thief "I have something under here I don't want you to see."

As I understand it, and in the two X's I've seen, there is still the cover/ shelf that goes over the lower cargo well space behind the rear seats.
  5. pvogel

pvogel Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Santa Clara, CA
    I used to like cargo covers, but they get in the way of larger stuff and then they themselves become cargo that you need to deal with. My Prius v's cover now sits in my hall closet.
  6. flar

flar Member

Apr 20, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I love the cargo cover in my RDX, but it is a bit more thought out than most of the cargo covers I've seen.

It's solid, but it raises automatically when you raise the hatch (simply attached with cords and pivots up, simple and convenient). It is finished to look like any other body panel so it looks more like a permanent rear shelf than an insert to hide things. When you need to remove it to haul something larger it fits into an indentation in the floor where it takes almost no volume, flips over so it creates a durable plastic surface to protect the carpet in the rear storage area, and doesn't need to be dealt with specially. Living near a large city it's a rule that you can't leave anything visible in the car or you'll return to a broken window - tinting helps, but hidden is key.

The OCD in me also likes the compartmentalization of having a separated space for people and "things". Seeing luggage and carry alongs over the rear seat looks unfinished to me.

I would also love to see a solution that protects cargo in the rear from spilling forward when the 3rd row is folded. The second row seats would partially serve that purpose, but at the expense of things falling into the gap and possibly marking up the seat backs. For smaller items a cargo net that holds things to the floor would be nice and for larger items a barrier that can clip or snap into place across the C pillar area would be great...