Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Covering gloss black console with satin SunTek film

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you had a chance to get these installed yet? I ordered the center console and am anxiously waiting to see how the door control covers look. By the way, I'm considering the steering wheel covers as well so please hurry up and get moving on that too. ;)

Installed the door control covers and immediately removed. REALLY did not like the look or the fit. I think I got one pic, will check.

• Helpful
Reactions: fseir
Installed the door control covers and immediately removed. REALLY did not like the look or the fit. I think I got one pic, will check.
Thanks r-t-j. From the stainless photo I thought it was a bit iffy but it's hard to judge by a picture. If you're not happy with it in person then I think I'll pass on the Titanium. I'm now considering the matte black since I like the idea of hiding the emergency door handle. Although I'd prefer a glossy finish in black or clear.

Here are what the console looks like un Suntek clear PPF and rolled edges. Basically, it looks the same and edges really look no different. Just more resistant as Moe said.

mz4qTt0.jpg

NMfuqS6.jpg

Anyone know if RPM's XPEL Stealth wrap leaves any glossy edges or does it really completely cover? I'm trying to decide if I should try to do the install myself or just have the detail shop that is wrapping my car do a custom console wrap as well. Thoughts?
RPM's solution seems like a great choice. I plan to get it this weekend or next. My Model 3 is currently in the shop for tint and PPF. I'm curious what your shop would charge for the center console? Have you asked for a price, uet?

RPM's solution seems like a great choice. I plan to get it this weekend or next. My Model 3 is currently in the shop for tint and PPF. I'm curious what your shop would charge for the center console? Have you asked for a price, uet?
I think RPM has a sale that ends on 3/31, so buy it soon if you decide to. I haven't asked my detailer for a cost but have seen others post that some shops have thrown it in and others have charged up to $100. I want to do something to my car on my own but those edges seem difficult on the RPM video.

Reactions: mjp462
Looked again on their site and the matte black option is no longer there. Sold out atm or is it now "Custom (Advise Option)" selection?

Thanks

RPM Tesla

RPM told me in an email that customers were reporting that the matte 3M material would show a lot of impressions or marks fingers and fingernails. They're now recommending Xpel Stealth.

RPM Tesla

This is what I'm going to try.

RPM told me in an email that customers were reporting that the matte 3M material would show a lot of impressions or marks fingers and fingernails. They're now recommending Xpel Stealth.

RPM Tesla

This is what I'm going to try.

Great thanks for the info erthquake!

I had seen this but i'm not thrilled about the extra steps - water + heat. I was going to do more investigating once i got my 3 in about a week and see if the middle console is as atrocious as i fear it will be ;)

Let me know how it turns out!

We just installed the RPM brushed Titanium on our center console. It took an hour (the cupholder part took the longest) and we made a lot of adjustments and some mistakes. Luckily the "worst" part is the very topmost left corner of the console that I won't ever see since that part is under the screen and we'll most likely have that compartment open most of the time. Despite our troubles, it looks really great!! And that's saying a lot since I'm a bit OCD about it.

We just installed the RPM brushed Titanium on our center console. It took an hour (the cupholder part took the longest) and we made a lot of adjustments and some mistakes. Luckily the "worst" part is the very topmost left corner of the console that I won't ever see since that part is under the screen and we'll most likely have that compartment open most of the time. Despite our troubles, it looks really great!! And that's saying a lot since I'm a bit OCD about it.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Please share some photos of your work! Please don't be shy about imperfections revealed as they help us learn from your experience.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Please share some photos of your work! Please don't be shy about imperfections revealed as they help us learn from your experience.

Looks great when you view it normally.
BrushedTitanium1.jpg

Here's the topmost part of the cell phone compartment. On the top left corner, I think my husband had stretched it out way too much during installation. I think he was just unconsciously pulling on that edge really hard during installation. The film was wavy and kind of off looking due to his pulling on it. At around this time I asked him "Did you watch the installation video?" He replied "Yah, a few week ago." Me: "You mean you weren't watching it at all when I was playing it an hour ago???". It's possible that if we spent a little more time we could have gotten that part to lay flat. But I really didn't care at this point. You really don't see it at all if you are looking at the car normally. And you also won't see it if this part is open when you have your phones charging. Along the right edge, since we didn't line it up right, there is the smallest sliver of the glossy black showing.

BrushedTitanium2.jpg

This edge is covered by the armrest. I think in the installation video, even the RPM guy had some wrinkles. Again, I think if we really wanted to we could have made it look a little better.

BrushedTitanium3.jpg

I sat in the passenger side and held onto the right sides of the pieces, while my husband sat on the drivers side and held the left sides of the pieces. I'm not sure if that technique helped or harmed the installation process more. Maybe we had too many cooks in the kitchen? Also my husband complained about twisting his back a little during installation. Sometimes I felt like I had a better angle from my side. My husband tried to muscle his way through the wrinkles sometimes, which made things worse. If there's a wrinkle, just lift it up gently and try again, don't try to use more muscle power to smooth it out.

ETA:
When we purchased the film, the Brushed Black Metal had just come out, I wasn't sure what it looked like and I had decided on the Titanium already. This was when we first got our VIN assigned. But after getting the car, I kind of got used to the glossy black. If we had to do it again, I might have gotten the Brushed Black or even a matte or shiny black. I might be purchasing one of those for my parent's car. I'll report back after we install it there. It might be a while though.

View attachment 292681

Here's the topmost part of the cell phone compartment. On the top left corner, I think my husband had stretched it out way too much during installation. I think he was just unconsciously pulling on that edge really hard during installation. The film was wavy and kind of off looking due to his pulling on it. At around this time I asked him "Did you watch the installation video?" He replied "Yah, a few week ago." Me: "You mean you weren't watching it at all when I was playing it an hour ago???". It's possible that if we spent a little more time we could have gotten that part to lay flat. But I really didn't care at this point. You really don't see it at all if you are looking at the car normally. And you also won't see it if this part is open when you have your phones charging. Along the right edge, since we didn't line it up right, there is the smallest sliver of the glossy black showing.

View attachment 292683

This edge is covered by the armrest. I think in the installation video, even the RPM guy had some wrinkles. Again, I think if we really wanted to we could have made it look a little better.

View attachment 292684

I sat in the passenger side and held onto the right sides of the pieces, while my husband sat on the drivers side and held the left sides of the pieces. I'm not sure if that technique helped or harmed the installation process more. Maybe we had too many cooks in the kitchen? Also my husband complained about twisting his back a little during installation. Sometimes I felt like I had a better angle from my side. My husband tried to muscle his way through the wrinkles sometimes, which made things worse. If there's a wrinkle, just lift it up gently and try again, don't try to use more muscle power to smooth it out.

ETA:
When we purchased the film, the Brushed Black Metal had just come out, I wasn't sure what it looked like and I had decided on the Titanium already. This was when we first got our VIN assigned. But after getting the car, I kind of got used to the glossy black. If we had to do it again, I might have gotten the Brushed Black or even a matte or shiny black. I might be purchasing one of those for my parent's car. I'll report back after we install it there. It might be a while though.
Thanks for the detail work.

If I go this route, I think I'm going to remove the parts from the car and apply the film with the parts on the work bench.

Reactions: Cintoman
View attachment 292681

View attachment 292683

View attachment 292684

ETA:
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this! Very helpful.

The satin/matte looks great!

My person was going to apply matte vinyl because was not sure how the interior would hold up to the film application process (first time with Model 3).

In the end he was able to apply clear Suntek to the center console since I had it applied as a full wrap. The results looks great and I would post pictures but it just looks like stock (but with protection).

Where did you get yours done and if you don’t mind me asking, how much did it cost? I’d like to get this done as well but seems places around me are working only from kits and will not rolled edge wraps. From the photos you posted I really like how yours turned out.