Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

COVID-19 Impact on Tesla production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^ Yup. We're watching the unraveling of a society. It's like watching a Hollywood disaster movie. The scary thing is it's actually worse in other countries.

Norway agrees:

Norwegian university urges students to return home from the U.S., cites ‘poorly developed health services’

ETKWa5HXsAE6IXr

"This also applies for countries with poorly developed collective infrastructure, for example the USA, where it can be difficult to get transport to the airport if you don’t have a car. The same applies if you don’t have health insurance.”

I don't think they're referring to the US as having 'poorly developed health services'. If that's what you're driving at then you're simply trolling. If you're referring to their reference to 'collective infrastructure', I don't think you or I know exactly what they mean since the added words of 'where it can be difficult to get transport to the airport if you don't have a car' was apparently added by you as it doesn't show in the original blurb above. Regardless, tell me why it is 'difficult to get to the airport if you don't have a car'? Everyone does it, it's called a bus, a train, an Uber, a taxi...need I go on?

This conversation is truly going off the rails.

The Bay Area becomes home shelter in place as of midnight tonight. Only travel is for food, medicine, healthcare. Hard to see how the factory can remain staffed come tomorrow. Which makes me glad I took delivery Monday.

Shelter-in-place order is issued effective at midnight for 6 California Counties: Santa Clara, San Francisco, San Mateo, Marin, Contra Costa, and Alameda.

Of which Fremont is among one of those which is in Alameda County.

Thus, how can Fremont workers go to work?

I guess those night shift workers will have to stay in the factory to keep the assembly line going without any dayshift workers to come in to relieve them until the order will be lifted "soon".

Here's the order with exemptions. Is Tesla among the exemptions?

http://www.acgov.org/documents/Final-Order-to-Shelter-In-Place.pdf

26043902-8118417-image-a-2_1584390202333.jpg

Map from: Coronavirus US: San Francisco starts three-week lockdown | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Where did you see they got exemption? Nowhere the article said Tesla got exemption.

CNET and electrek are saying Musk is defying the order.

From the article:

"Alameda County has declared Tesla an 'essential business' that is allowed to remain in operation, according to a county spokesman. What’s essential about automobile manufacturing in the midst of a viral pandemic? 'That’s a good question,' said spokesman Ray Kelly, promising more information would be forthcoming. 'We’re in uncharted waters right now.'"

From the article:

"Alameda County has declared Tesla an 'essential business' that is allowed to remain in operation, according to a county spokesman. What’s essential about automobile manufacturing in the midst of a viral pandemic? 'That’s a good question,' said spokesman Ray Kelly, promising more information would be forthcoming. 'We’re in uncharted waters right now.'"

The County seems to be backing off of this:

“A spokesman for Alameda County said the county counsel’s office and the county department of public health were still determining whether the plant is an essential business under the shelter in place order."

Tesla not shuttering Fremont factory despite coronavirus shelter in place order

Even if its fatality rate is as low as 1918 Spanish flu with a death rate of 2.5% but that's still a lot because there were about 50 to 100 million people died globally at that time.

That stat is internally contradictory. 75 million (average 50 and 100) / .025 = 3 billion people. World population was only 1.8 billion and not 100% of the population was infected.
Covid-19 Is Not the Spanish Flu
This article estimates that Spanish flu mortality rate for those infected was in the 6-8% range. With uncertainty of reporting it could easily have been over 10%. About 3% of the total world population died of the Spanish flu.

Reactions: Ken7
Read Elon Musk have ordered workers to come to work. He will disobey the order? Wonder if the Sheriff will go after him.

I don't know about "go after" but they did tweet:

Alameda County Sheriff
@ACSOSheriffs

Tesla:@Tesla
is not an essential business as defined in the Alameda County Health Order. Tesla can maintain minimum basic operations per the Alameda County Health Order.
4:49 PM · Mar 17, 2020·

Here is the longer clip I got from Reuter....

Businesses deemed non-essential can only maintain minimum basic operations under the order, such as maintaining the value of inventory, ensuring security and processing payroll and employee benefits.

Guess Elon Musk must have reasoned that "value of inventory" as Tesla can continue to build cars to sustain inventory?

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
And perspective on coverage when one President declared an emergency once 1000 Americans had died of a flu the media covered that positively, different President does so at 40dead and we are being told his administration is asleep at the wheel.

I think you missed the part where only one of these presidents called the entire thing a hoax, as he does with basically everything he doesn’t like. Only one has a track record of lying about everything, even objective facts that are easily proven.

The whole damn country is nearly shut down. I think that’s taking it seriously.

It’s was already too late by the time that happened. How much time was lost calling it a hoax vs acting?

^ Nonsense. The partnership between government & private industry, that was developed in record time, is unprecedented in this country’s history. Unprecedented. Production capability for medical testing is being ramped up in record time. 400,000 test kits are being manufactured every week and drive in testing will be available in numerous locations.

Here is where it becomes clear you need better sources of information, as Fox and Limbaugh isn’t going to give it to you. This is a comically absurd take on what happened. The first cases were detected in South Korea a day apart from the US and they ramped up to 10,000 tests a day. The US hasn’t reacted in any way shape or form as fast.

To say we lost 2 months is disingenuous and simply shows nothing more than your disdain for the President. He shut down travel from China almost immediately (that probably saved many lives) and was chastised by your side of the political spectrum for being xenophobic. Damned if he does damned if he doesn’t. It’s just amazing to watch the hypocrisy.

Disengenuous? How much time was lost by calling this a “democratic hoax”?

Hypocrisy? You’re ok with POTUS pulling things from his butt and just lying constantly with no proof of anything?

The American public’s disdain for this POTUS is damn well earned and he has no one to blame but himself.

^ If you got your information from more reputable sources other than Rachel Madow & Co, and the 24/7 Trump-hating CNN, you’d know your accusations are false. Trump did not call the virus a hoax, but rather the Dems accusations that this was his fault (as they claim everything negative in the universe to be his fault) a hoax. That’s already been fact checked multiple times and even the Washington Post gave Biden 4 Pinocchios for claiming that.

Further, his shutting down of travel from China very early on is credited by medical authorities with saving many lives...despite him being called xenophobic by some for doing so.

The lack of testing kits predates Trump and has existed for decades. The previous administration had 1,000 deaths from swine flu before that President said boo. I’m sure you were very vocal back then too...not. The fact is once faced with this long standing shortage and the need for more, Trump mobilized an unprecedented partnership between government and private industry to rectify that. Kits are now being produced at the rate of 400,000 per week with Roche producing most.

And of course your generalization of “the American public’s disdain for this POTUS” is yet another inaccurate and gross generalization. Opinions on him are quite divided and he’s likely to win re-election.

The misinformation is stunning and governed by nothing more than a vitriolic hate.

The bottom line is that until China gets its act together in preventing the conditions in its country that led to this pandemic, worldwide pandemics will continue to be unleashed on the world. Hopefully you’re aware of the fact that this is not China’s first unwitting release of a widespread and dangerous virus. It’s happened before. Your disdain for Trump might be better targeted on the country whose government is responsible for the world’s current misery. I just hope politicians on both sides of the aisle have the brains to pull back antibiotic manufacturing to this country. Our huge dependence on China for essential antibiotics is both foolish and dangerous.

Oh, and Scott, would you like me to provide you with a link to every post I’ve made since joining TMC? You’ve only given me a thumbs down on my last 9, regardless of subject, since my post that your quoting. Ah, hate is such a poisonous thing. Lighten up my friend, lighten up. :)

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Here's the quote from the county administrator. Elon was not the only CEO who misinterpreted the order. These are difficult times for a lot of people, we need to be pulling together instead of pointing fingers.

“Ultimately, the offices of Alameda County Administrator Susan Muranishi, County Counsel Donna Ziegler and County Public Health Officials made the decision about Tesla, Kelly said. The company was not alone in questioning the order, although it appears to be the largest employer to have done so.

Tesla, like other Alameda County businesses, can maintain basic functions under the shelter-in-place order, Kelly said. Those functions include maintaining the factory’s infrastructure and office work such as payroll but do not not include the manufacturing of electric cars.“