Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

COVID-19 Social Distancing Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It shouldn't pause you on getting a Y. This is a lesson in making sure your Tesla gets the best range possible over aesthetics. Picking the largest rims possible is a counterintuitive if range is your goal.
If what I’ve been seeing on YouTube is true (and it usually isn’t) then the Y actually has the potential to be more efficient than the Model 3 itself. OOS/i1 Tesla did a range test on a PYD+ and got nearly mile for mile rated efficiency (~270wh/mi) at 70mph WITH the ungodly heavy 21” UT wheels. (68lb/31kg per corner)

I can’t even get that in my P3D+ with the infamous boat anchor 20” stock wheels it came with. I can’t wait to see results on the 19” Gemini’s or better yet on a lightweight forged wheel like the MW03’s.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
If what I’ve been seeing on YouTube is true (and it usually isn’t) then the Y actually has the potential to be more efficient than the Model 3 itself. OOS/i1 Tesla did a range test on a PYD+ and got nearly mile for mile rated efficiency (~270wh/mi) at 70mph WITH the ungodly heavy 21” UT wheels. (68lb/31kg per corner)

I can’t even get that in my P3D+ with the infamous boat anchor 20” stock wheels it came with. I can’t wait to see results on the 19” Gemini’s or better yet on a lightweight forged wheel like the MW03’s.
I had a P3D+ initially and I agree, I don't think I could have made the trip on the 20s.

The Y is only 344 pounds heavier than the 3 and according to wiki, has the same drag coefficient. Pretty impressive.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
There's no such thing as "I'm not infected". You can be infected with zero symptoms (ever) and pass the virus on to others. You can be infected but haven't shown symptoms yet and pass it on to others days before you do. Even if you are tested and the results are negative, that only means you weren't infected at the exact moment of the test or you were infected but it was too early for the test to discern that. You could have been infected from the person taking the test (which would not shown on that test) - not so far fetched as hospital workers are forced, in some cases, to re-use PPE that they worn around infected patients.

Driving to clear your head isn't the problem. Driving to go see someone else in a non-essential capacity is.

But, it's Florida, whatever.

I had a P3D+ initially and I agree, I don't think I could have made the trip on the 20s.

The Y is only 344 pounds heavier than the 3 and according to wiki, has the same drag coefficient. Pretty impressive.
You’d have had to drive at ~60-65 max on #1 follow setting behind semi’s without aero aids and your tires pumped up to 50psi and pray there wasn’t any crosswinds. It’s my understanding the 2020 are slightly more efficient though. (Mine is a 2018)

• Disagree
Barely making 260 miles starting out with 310 rated is VERY concerning to me! And it sounds like you were taking precautions to try and stretch your miles and driving in fairly ideal weather and geographical conditions. My X would rarely if ever come close to rated miles. My S on the other hand in the summer would always meet or exceed its rated miles. And that's in the mountains of the northwest with me driving a constant 75mph with the HVAC set to comfortable. One trip I tried to "milk it" and drove 65-75mph (mostly 75) started out slowly, regenned as much as I could etc. I arrived at the supercharger 301 miles away with 57 rated miles left. I started out at slightly less than 100% charge, 322 rated miles. I wasn't the slightest bit concerned I wouldn't make the 300 mile trip on one charge, but I did expect I would have to slow down, turns out I really didn't need to as my expected SOC on arrival kept increasing.

Hearing your report I'm really concerned what my range will be on my M3, I was hoping it would be similar to the MS and I wouldn't need to worry about easily achieving rated miles in summer conditions...

Barely making 260 miles starting out with 310 rated is VERY concerning to me! And it sounds like you were taking precautions to try and stretch your miles and driving in fairly ideal weather and geographical conditions. My X would rarely if ever come close to rated miles. My S on the other hand in the summer would always meet or exceed its rated miles. And that's in the mountains of the northwest with me driving a constant 75mph with the HVAC set to comfortable. One trip I tried to "milk it" and drove 65-75mph (mostly 75) started out slowly, regenned as much as I could etc. I arrived at the supercharger 301 miles away with 57 rated miles left. I started out at slightly less than 100% charge, 322 rated miles. I wasn't the slightest bit concerned I wouldn't make the 300 mile trip on one charge, but I did expect I would have to slow down, turns out I really didn't need to as my expected SOC on arrival kept increasing.

Hearing your report I'm really concerned what my range will be on my M3, I was hoping it would be similar to the MS and I wouldn't need to worry about easily achieving rated miles in summer conditions...
Try going to the smallest lightest square wheel setup you can find for the X and you might be surprised at what it can do even though it hails from the troubled “90” era.

• Disagree
this whole thread is interesting. Once the world returns to normal, stopping at a supercharger will be a no-brainer. This is such a unique time.

I like the fact that my road trips have multiple super chargers that I pass along the way, no need to stop, but great for peace-of-mind.

To be fair, I went from 97% to 3%, so rated would be 291 miles. And I averaged 245 wh/mi at 65mph (64kW) vs your S which would be 358 miles off 100kW (279 wh/mi).

If the 3 had a 100 kWh battery, it'd get 408 miles real world.

There's no such thing as "I'm not infected". You can be infected with zero symptoms (ever) and pass the virus on to others. You can be infected but haven't shown symptoms yet and pass it on to others days before you do. Even if you are tested and the results are negative, that only means you weren't infected at the exact moment of the test or you were infected but it was too early for the test to discern that. You could have been infected from the person taking the test (which would not shown on that test) - not so far fetched as hospital workers are forced, in some cases, to re-use PPE that they worn around infected patients.

Driving to clear your head isn't the problem. Driving to go see someone else in a non-essential capacity is.

But, it's Florida, whatever.
I self-quarantined on March 12th. I respect your concern, but I'm confident I'm squarely in the safe group. And regardless, both of us have only been exposed to each other and will continue to be.

I see numbers like that and I'm impressed that the Y can pull it off. I have a LR RWD with the 18in Aero's on and I get around 230 wh/mi on road trips and I have a lifetime average of 229 over 22k miles. I haven't seen anything else besides my 3 variant be this efficient (Tesla).

I regularly travel from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale in my P3D-. The total trip is 260 miles and since I tend to have a lead foot and there's a good stretch of open road across alligator alley and the rest of I-75, I will charge about halfway. I also don't usually have a 100% charge at the start.

Enter: Corona Virus

I've been hardcore social distancing. Working from home... no-contact deliveries, I hadn't spoken face to face with another human in 10 days. And now, I'm driving to Fort Lauderdale. 310 miles of range is a bit of a farce at highway speeds, but checking ABRP and the in-car-nav, I'm thinking I can get there in one trip with a full charge and not have to stop anywhere along the way to charge.

260 miles, which is basically LA to Las Vegas.

One road. One Car. One Man. One cat. No stopping.

Get on the road and Rhapsody is telling me to charge at our usual spot. She doesn't know we're pushing it to the limit. A quick "remove charging stops" and we're set. Jump on the highway and traffic is a tenth of what it usually is during rush hour. I've got her set in Chill mode today just to take the top off of the acceleration and save those precious kWh.

Now the speed limit on I-75 in Florida is 70mph, so I'm trying to stay between 65-75 mph to not be a hindrance. I'm also constantly fighting my instincts to let her run. AP and NoA help. There's also a special person waiting for me in Ft. Lauderdale, so I'm "motivated".

It's also 85 degrees outside. So I've got the A/C running -- just comfortable, not meat locker -- which hits the juice too.

I hit my stride and am cruising outside along, looking for my secret weapon -- semi trucks. My goal is to cozy up behind a truck and use that sweet, sweet low pressure zone to cut down on my air resistance and my wh/mi. I jump from semi to box truck to large trailer... making some great time and also cutting 40 wh/mi off of my usual expense.

3 hours later, as i pass the toll into Alligator alley, I check my status.

There's a single super charger in Alligator alley. It's a 250kW charger about 2/3 of the way across. My energy graph says I should have about 10 miles left at my final destination on the other side. 10 miles. 3% battery. And it's getting dark.

10 miles of buffer... 9...8.... I slow down. 9 miles of buffer... back up to 10...11. I'm doing 65 now. The cooler air is heavier and there are no trucks to draft. I'm approaching Ochopee. The last chance to charge. I glance at my precious hand sanitizer...

"Not today," I say to my feline passenger and spur on.

My battery is single digits. 8%...7%...6%... past the toll plaza.... 5%... into Ft. Lauderdale. 4%... off the highway.

I'm inching along, still expecting to see the battery drop, but it's holding at 4%. Turning through the side streets... slow on the accelerator.. hard on the regen.

3% I'm on the road.....

I can see the house...

Turn into the driveway.

And Parked. 3% left.

Officially, 261.7 miles in 3:56 at an avg of 245 Wh/mi. I went from 97% bat to 3% battery. I got down to 200 Wh/mi for a good stretch there while drafting. Very happy with the range. Slight changes in speed, acceleration, temp and wind resistance really add up.

Odometer and Cat Tax

View attachment 526108 View attachment 526105

• Funny
I travel Alligator Alley quite often. Even with TACC I find it categorically impossible to travel at less than 80 mph. I usually get from Miami/Coral Gables to Fort Myers but rarely better. I applaud your discipline.

FWIW, I once drove 303 miles in my P85D. I started with 100% and drove a steady 45 mph. On that trip I took the original Alligator Alley, mostly called Tamiami Trail these days. I thought I'd have been rear-ended on I-75. That trip was Coral Gables-Brandon Supercharger. At the time Brandon was my only choice.
The trip was 260 Wh/mi and I arrived with a zero indication.

Never again!

Last edited by a moderator:
My one long road trip (before moving to an island where I could just about drive all the way around twice on a charge) I arrived at my destination with (IIRC) 20 miles more remaining range than predicted based on the 310-mile rated range. But I was on secondary highways where the speed limit is 55 to 60 mph, and with EAP I felt no need to speed. Freeway speeds will definitely cut into that.

I'd have used the supercharger and cleaned my hands after handling it, but that's just me.

Cute kitty. My cat, gone these many decades, looked almost exactly like that.

Here's what my wife and I did today: We drove about ten miles to have a coffee break in the car overlooking the ocean. I'm a little torn, since authorities say that more vehicles on the road could lead to more accidents, pulling resources away from COVID-19-related activities.

CoffeeBreak.jpg

Here's what my wife and I did today: We drove about ten miles to have a coffee break in the car overlooking the ocean. I'm a little torn, since authorities say that more vehicles on the road could lead to more accidents, pulling resources away from COVID-19-related activities.

View attachment 526934

Good for you. A healthy use of your car and time. We have to stay sane folks.