Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

COVID-19: Superchargers Unavailable due to Closures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Hi all. Due to the spread of Covid-19, several businesses have been closing their doors due to government orders to non-essential businesses. With that, some businesses (malls/hotels) have also been closing their parking garages making the Superchargers impossible to access.

I’m creating this thread to track all the locations that are or will be closing (temporarily) to update Supercharge Info accordingly, so please post here if you know of locations that are out of service due to garage closures or other reasons.

@Chuq

• Helpful
Reactions: WesB
Why would they close superchargers?

Tesla won't shutdown the Supercharger sites themselves, but the point of the OP was that some parking garages are getting closed. While the Supercharger gear may be powered up, it doesn't help if you don't have physical access to it. The point was to track locations where physical access was an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and Rocky_H
Why would they close superchargers?

Superchargers are fuel stations so they are like Gas Stations that should remain open during Covid-19 lockdown order.

However, as @swaltner explained, Tesla don't own the ground/parking spaces/parking garages whose owners need to shut their mall/properties down during Covid-19 lockdown order.

Reasonable property owners would make an exception and allow Tesla Supercharger traffic.

Others just don't want to deal with the hassle of exceptions and just lock down the whole property as a simple solution. That is bad for now and it should even be worse for Zombie Apocalypse!

Reactions: RiverBrick
Superchargers are fuel stations so they are like Gas Stations that should remain open during Covid-19 lockdown order.

However, as @swaltner explained, Tesla don't own the ground/parking spaces/parking garages whose owners need to shut their mall/properties down during Covid-19 lockdown order.

Reasonable property owners would make an exception and allow Tesla Supercharger traffic.

Others just don't want to deal with the hassle of exceptions and just lock down the whole property as a simple solution. That is bad for now and it should even be worse for Zombie Apocalypse!

Reason #37 that I've been saying for quite some time now that Tesla needs to NOT build Supercharger locations at areas with controlled parking like garages that usually charge for access. People keep telling me that I own $100k cars so what's a few bucks? Well, now you see why I have a problem with it in principal and not because I can't afford a few bucks. The reasons are long and varied but this is one current example of why it's stupid on Tesla's part to not opt to build on sites that are open where possible. I understand that in some areas where it's highly populated this isn't always possible if they want to be in a certain area (urban chargers) but I've seen numerous examples of sites where it's off of the interstate and in a downtown area and requires a fee to access when they could have simply put it off of an exit in an open lot/area like every other Supercharger out there. People need to realize that it's not always about a dollar or two and have a little more vision on how this could create additional problems instead of apologizing for and making excuses for Tesla then attacking those who do see how this is a problem (not you of course... just ranting).