Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coworker With A C6 Z06 Keeps Wanting To Race

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I have a question. I drive a ‘21 M3P. It’s 100% stock. My coworker keeps bugging me about how his 2007 Corvette Z06 will eat my Tesla alive from a standstill up to 80mph. I know his Z06 has long tube headers,bigger cam,different gears & is tuned on E85 on BFG Rival tires. Do I stand a chance against him?

• Disagree
Reactions: dsgerbc
The stock Z06 can get to 80 in 5.3s, same as you, so if his car is modified, you’re going to get beat going to those higher speeds even though you’ll lead at launch. I don’t think the M3P specs have changed since the car was introduced, but if it ever gets the plaid carbon sleeved windings, even with the current torque and power limits, the reduction in back EMF mean the M3P could stay ahead at those higher speeds.

Last edited:
How does he want to 'race?'
Show up to the drag strip? You may lose, if he hooks up right.

From a street traffic light that becomes a highway? Odds are he'd get a ticket practicing his launches and bail. And if he doesn't bail, not spinning street tires in lower gears on street pavement on a modified C6 Z06 is challenging. Journal/online stats for RWD ICE cars are typically best-case fluky runs.

Make sure your battery is not cold.

Reactions: tm1v2 and MCM3
Hello all. I have a question. I drive a ‘21 M3P. It’s 100% stock. My coworker keeps bugging me about how his 2007 Corvette Z06 will eat my Tesla alive from a standstill up to 80mph. I know his Z06 has long tube headers,bigger cam,different gears & is tuned on E85 on BFG Rival tires. Do I stand a chance against him?
If the tires are sticky and he is good at launch he might crush you, if not you might crush him. Why speculate? Empiricism my good man.

You've got 3 problems answering this question really....

1) You've no idea how much power his mods are adding
2) You've no idea if he's done anything to actually be able to use that extra power (suspension)
3) You've no idea how well he drives- since that Z06 is a manual and if he doesn't shift perfectly he's dead regardless of 1/2

A 3P should crush a stock 07 Z06 up to any US legal speed.... But without knowing items 1-3 you're gonna have to race to see how it does against his specific car.

BFG Rival tires? I think that and the driver are the key. I still think on the street you should have the advantage, especially to 80mph. Either way I don't think he'll 'eat you alive', although by 80 he'll be hitting his stride. My intake/ headers Z06 did 11.4s128 at a local track. With a good launch it would have easily been in the 10s.

Reactions: MCM3
Maybe remind him in addition to doing 0-60 in 3s your car also:
Seats 5, has a usable trunk, has a frunk, can drive itself (sort of), practically never needs servicing, can get servicing done in the convenience of your own home, charging costs are 1/10 that of gasoline, doesn’t pollute, can idle with AC/heat while watching Netflix without wearing out an engine and polluting, etc

As soon as you are well ahead of him, and if/when he starts to pull and close the gap, just brake and call it a day. Just tell him you saw all you needed to know and didn't want to embarrass him any further.

FYI - just in car you don't know this, make sure your batteries are up to temp and you have at least a 90% state of charge. High power, RWD cars are pretty easy to beat on the street with a Tesla. On the off chance he beats you off the line (highly unlikely), run him again and tell him you had it in chill mode which throttles it back.

Tell you'll put it in sport mode this time to launch better. Most likely he'll believe you and try to get an even better launch (i.e. more power) and do the opposite. Also if he pulls you in that first run, don't chase. Save your power for another run since there is likely no chance of running him down. So much of racing is a mind game.

I can't tell you how many fast cars I ran with my MY LR (and boost) that should have smoked me but didn't on the street. I never ran over 70 mph as I didn't want to risk a ticket. Even the track rats (like I used to be) might be wonders on the strip but put them on an every day, less than ideal surface, and you've culled the heard a lot about who can still perform in this environment and who took the time to setup up their car. Just don't go from a roll - EVER! You give up your biggest advantage.

I forgot to add, run him on a hot, humid day. Both those conditions adversely impact ICE engines. If you can, have him wait a bit at the line too to help make his car even warmer.

I would also make sure my windows are rolled up (less drag) and turn off anything you can that might draw power from the batteries rather than let the drive units get it. You can do without AC for a bit.

Complete engine replacement on this one a couple of years ago. Cylinder head work, cam, some bolt-ons and a custom tune resulted in 650 hp. You will likely get him at first since he will be traction limited but he will reel you in pretty quickly after that.

Attachments

• IMG_2605.jpg
    IMG_2605.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 194