Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cowspiracy/veganism/Tesla interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to order a Tesla soon and I'm considering requesting the secret vegan option with the alternate steering wheel. Have any owners posted pictures of the vegan steering wheel? I'm wondering how its quality and ergonomics compare to the standard one.

We've had a couple of the environmentally-friendly, cruelty-free, vegan steering wheels thus far; they look just like the ones where they blow the brains out of sentient beings, then "treat" the skins with toxic chemicals that make people sick and destroy the environment (after the cows have done their part first, of course, which is the biggest chunk of the GHG damage).

Highly recommend going with the the vegan steering wheel; if enough people make a fuss (as they friggin' must if they have even the slightest concern about the environment), then Tesla will make it standard, as it should have been from the start.

See:

How Leather Is Slowly Killing the People and Places That Make It

Tanneries in Bangladesh Are Spewing Toxic Waste and Making Workers Sick | VICE News

And the Cowspiracy trailer is here; a quick watch if you can't watch the whole documentary:

http://www.cowspiracy.com/

And for those that want the source docs, follow the hyperlinks to your heart's content:

http://www.cowspiracy.com/facts

Thanks for asking, and for making a difference!

p.s. Hey, Elon, what gives? You and the other board members have had at least two DVD copies of Cowspiracy in hand for several months now. Even Bill Gates is quoting sources that say animal ag is 51% of the GHG problem (see below). The facts are clear and convincing; please, get with the program. Thx.

“If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem.”

Eldridge Cleaver

Bill Gates: Food Is Ripe for Innovation

Found these pics of a (presumably) custom partial blue jeans interior in a Ferrari 599...

It's however arguably a bit 'far out' with regards to some of the details (obviously)...

more_1200.jpg

less_1200.jpg

Last edited:
Wouldn't matter. Cotton sucks from an environmental point of view. Water use is crazy, pesticide use is crazy, organic means a terrible compromise somewhere else.

Besides which, cow's aren't all that simple an issue. Most leather is coming from India. Cows die, and skinned. Go to India, largest source of leather, they do love their cows. Maybe special instances of cow culture sucks (feedlots in the US and Europe and brazilian rainforest clearing). Range feed cattle done well are really not bad on the environment and just replace the native Bison or other large ungulates. There is nothing perfect when dealing with 5bln humans. From a marketing standpoint why not offer it though? Perplexing question. I assume it is a lack of demand, Tesla is already a company willing to "create" demand. How many Tesla owning Vegans are there? Create a better user group, poll prospective model x owners (downpayments made) and offer a Vegan interior, then go create a company to deliver it. Stop complaining and start doing.

Blue jeans are popular :smile:

But are there any Levi's Jeans made from organic cotton?

Maybe I can interest you in these:

Responsible production | Nudie Jeans [Safe for Work (My edit.)]

- - - Updated - - -

Hemp > Cotton

Yep, hemp better but hemp and cotton wear. Why not just have a metal steering wheel?

.../ organic means a terrible compromise somewhere else. /...
How?

- - - Updated - - -

.../ Cotton sucks from an environmental point of view. Water use is crazy /...
Water use in a lot of Californian agriculture is allegedly also crazy. Partly due to that some of the crops grown just need too much water. They simply can’t be farmed sustainably in California. But a lot of it could allegedly be solved by using drip watering instead of the current method – watering everything (or whatever it’s called).

Could cotton water use also be reduced by instead using drip watering?

How?

- - - Updated - - -

Water use in a lot of Californian agriculture is allegedly also crazy. Partly due to that some of the crops grown just need too much water. They simply can’t be farmed sustainably in California. But a lot of it could allegedly be solved by using drip watering instead of the current method – watering everything (or whatever it’s called).

Could cotton water use also be reduced by instead using drip watering?

SA, I am not clear as to the basis for your assertion. How much time have you spent in the Valley? How much expertise do you have about farming the scores of food and fiber crops that we grow? Yes, agriculture uses a lot of water. But I know from my clients and from data compiled by UC Cooperative Extension that farmers are doing just about everything they can to be as efficient with water use/abuse/waste. A significant part of our problem is our piecemeal system of water laws that date back to before the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. Another significant part of our problem is that our infrastructure and use were developed more than 60 years ago when our population was about 15,000,000. Now we are hovering right around 40,000,000 people. You think that maybe a 167% increase in population has had deleterious effects on water usage and habits?

We feed a lot of people throughout the world with quality food at affordable prices. I hesitate to think what would happen if farming ceased here in the Central Valley. Foods that we take for granted just might disappear or become so expensive that many people would be unable to afford to consume them.

If tomatoes can be irrigated using drip tape, cotton probably can as well, but I would have to check on that.

SA, I am not clear as to the basis for your assertion. How much time have you spent in the Valley? How much expertise do you have about farming the scores of food and fiber crops that we grow? /...
I admit that I probably should have used some different wording in that post.

I’ve spent 0 time in the valley, and I have 0 expertise about valley farming.

That post was based on a piece broadcasted on Swedish Public Service Radio. A Swedish journalist interviewed someone who – as I remember it – had studied Californian agriculture on a very advanced academic level. I searched for that segment a couple of days ago, but was unable to find it in ~two minutes…

I do not know what percentage of the current Californian agriculture that is allegedly currently unsustainable due to too high water consumption. And I also don't know what percentage of said agriculture that could be converted to instead use drip watering.

Alcantara (like what your headliner is made out of) is a vegan material that is partially made from petroleum products. On the plus side, it is carbon neutral.

Does anybody know what the vegan material is made from and how it is made? If it's made from petroleum products, or any other inorganic chemical based polymer, count me out.

Highly recommend going with the the vegan steering wheel; if enough people make a fuss (as they friggin' must if they have even the slightest concern about the environment), then Tesla will make it standard, as it should have been from the start.

So those of us that have leather steering wheels (or worse - leather seats) don't have the slightest concern about the environment?

That's a bit harsh don't you think?