Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO 2013 Model S 60 slower acceleration since purchased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I purchased a 2013 cpo model s 60 last may. Driving off the lot and for the first few months the acceleration was great. Since then, I have noticed the acceleration a lot slower. I have also noticed a weird sound when flooring it, like the battery pack groaning or not able to handle the request where before it was smooth crazy acceleration. It has the A pack battery and original motor. I’m going to call Tesla for an appointment, just wondering if anyone has similar issues. Thanks!

Nicholas

Well, there is nothing mechanical to "groan" with the battery pack. It could be an issue with the DU, so a call to the SvC is worthwhile. When you are trying to accelerate, are you getting dashed line on the power meter showing some sort of restriction or does the car just "feel" slower?

Thanks for the reply Omar. I did call Tesla service to bring it in. No dashed lines, fully warmed up car. It just doesn’t accelerate like it use to. It is a very noticeable difference. I am getting a faint whine from the du at low speeds as well. I guess we will see what service says. Thank you.

Worth downloading PowerTools app and doing a 0-60 run to see what max power it says you are producing. And a sanity check for when you get your car back if they do something to it.

With all the stories about throttling (down) and uncorking (up) it seemed useful to keep track of the results every couple of months.

I have the same issue on my 14 S85

Powertools shows max of 304 kw on 68F and 80% battery an no single kw more.

The car is going in service for DU replacement due to nasty noise at low speeds and they actually replicated the liw KW issue so my fingers crossed that the acceleration will be back after the service was completed

My car is second day at the SC.

Today I received text from them stating that "
Currently during diagnosis we have found a fault with your HV battery heater that we need to look into further. "

I wonder if this can be the reason for not getting full power

The funny par is I am located at Las Vegas - unusually cold in thw winter here is unusually hot for places like Michigan at this time of the year.

Will see when it is done. Until then I am enjoying Infinity Q50 as loaner
On a side note, how do you like the Q50? Before deciding on getting the CPO Tesla I was thinking about the Q50, my wife has the QX60 (SUV) and it's pretty nice.
Also, I currently have my 2013 MS 85 in to get a few Due Bill items taken care of and they gave me a 2013 P85 as a loaner. :)

Today picked up my S from SC. They replaced the drive unit but the battary heater has to be ordered so it is not installed. They will call when it is here to come back for install. Today was raining like crazy so dis not tested it to see if it is going to get more than 300 KW but they were positive that the heater is the reason for not getting the full power.

Will post updates

320 max is what I see. But after full throttle for a few seconds it limits.
This is what I remember from before the limit was observed. I also noticed that the car some times fells sluggish which was not observed when I logged higher KW. No matter what I do now I can not go past 300 KW even with warm battery after supercharge. I started to doubt that the battery heater is going to solve my problem since last night I connected tm-spy to my car after 6 hours in my garage and the battery temp was 74 F

Can't wait to see what will happen when they replace the battery heater