Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO as a price yard stick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I keep looking around for my future MS, I see there are some price variances. EBay, trader, here etc... Would it accurate to use CPO as the reference when making a purchase? Would my local tesla center give me there formula for CPO calculations? Recommendations please.
Thanks

Yes, I used CPO as the reference when I shopped for MS.
Before CPO is offered from Tesla, the price on ebay, trader and others are ridicules high and the selections were low, and still low compare with CPO site. After CPO become available, the price start coming down and eventually below CPO price.

Hi - I recently picked up my CPO 85S. I looked at private party sales as well, but in the end, for me anyway, this CPO was a great deal. It was well cared for and the little bit of detailing needed to bring it up to "that new car look" is being performed by Tesla. The Tesla sales staff can see cars taken in trade that have not yet been listed on the public web CPO listing. Such was the case with my new ride. My car never made it to the public website. I put down $1,000 and they shipped it out to CA for $500. I would strongly recommend that you befriend a local Tesla sales person to help you. I hope that helps.

Here is the listing:

Odometer
14,932 miles
Date Generated
September 8th, 2015
This quote is valid for Seven days and does not include taxes, governmental fees, or supplementary shipping fees (where applicable). You will be responsible for these additional taxes and fees. Prices and options are subject to change until deposit is received and terms and conditions are accepted.
Description
Total in USD 85 kWh Model S -
Blue Metallic Paint
- All Glass Panoramic Roof -
19" Wheels
- Tan Nappa Leather Interior -
Obeche Wood Gloss Décor
- Supercharger Enabled -
Dual Chargers
- Tech Package -
Smart Air Suspension
- Ultra High Fidelity Sound -
Paint Armor
-
Used Vehicle Price
$63,400.00

Good luck,
Seth

So this begs the question: How much is CPO worth over a non-CPO (assuming the non-cpo did not have an owner purchased extended warranty)? $2K? $5K? $7k? $10K??? Obviously, it's an insurance policy, but what's a reasonable amount? It doesn't help that Tesla repair costs are a big unknown. For a regular ICE car, it would likely be worth about $3-$4k for me since I can do most traditional repairs myself, but the Tesla drivetrain is a a black box, and all parts costs are unknown.

Thoughts?

I've been checking cpo cars since they started to sell them. At this point I personally wouldn't buy a used tesla over a cpo car. As a new car there have been too many changes/updates that may have cost money out of pocket depending on whether the original warranty was still in effect. I know the ESA is an option and that goes for about $4000 but there are some string that come with the ESA.

To Answer your direct question I would value the cpo seal of approval at $5000. The refresh on the warranty with no deductible is a big plus.

Hi - I recently picked up my CPO 85S. I looked at private party sales as well, but in the end, for me anyway, this CPO was a great deal. It was well cared for and the little bit of detailing needed to bring it up to "that new car look" is being performed by Tesla. The Tesla sales staff can see cars taken in trade that have not yet been listed on the public web CPO listing. Such was the case with my new ride. My car never made it to the public website. I put down $1,000 and they shipped it out to CA for $500. I would strongly recommend that you befriend a local Tesla sales person to help you. I hope that helps.

Here is the listing:

Odometer
14,932 miles
Date Generated
September 8th, 2015
This quote is valid for Seven days and does not include taxes, governmental fees, or supplementary shipping fees (where applicable). You will be responsible for these additional taxes and fees. Prices and options are subject to change until deposit is received and terms and conditions are accepted.
Description
Total in USD 85 kWh Model S -
Blue Metallic Paint
- All Glass Panoramic Roof -
19" Wheels
- Tan Nappa Leather Interior -
Obeche Wood Gloss Décor
- Supercharger Enabled -
Dual Chargers
- Tech Package -
Smart Air Suspension
- Ultra High Fidelity Sound -
Paint Armor
-
Used Vehicle Price
$63,400.00

Good luck,
Seth

Hi Seth.
Great price for a great car. What model year was it? Enjoy your ride.

CPOs are a great way to get a discounted MS! As always with any used car purchase INSPECT IT BEFORE DELIVERY. I understand some of these vehicle are on the other side of the country but it may even be worth it to fly and check a vehicle out or see if another member would be willing to help out. Now with all of that out of the way keep your expectations realistic, it is after all a used car so don't expect 100% perfection.

A 2014 60 with 5k miles for $58 has been sitting on the pre-owned site for days. At what point do they reprice?

They may have offered the customer $58k for trade in a while back and don't want to lose money? It seems at the beginning of a new quarter they drop the pricing at least thats what they did for July 1. It's tough to say but that 60 may never sell unless it gets down to under $50k...

A 2014 60 with 5k miles for $58 has been sitting on the pre-owned site for days. At what point do they reprice?

Forum members have bought S60s for the late $40Ks and i feel that is what they are worth. I agree with MikeInFL in that it is best if you find a S60 under $50K or at the least as close to $50K as possible. I personally think $58K is too much.

Having said that, they may not need to reprice that S60 if someone pays them what they are asking. Some of the CPO prices may not make sense, especially considering the 70D and the 70RWD, but if someone pays them what they ask for I'm sure they are happy to get the extra money for the car :)

It seems they may reprice a car if it has sat there for a month or two but the best CPO values seems to be when you contact your local Tesla salesperson and get access to inventory that is not listed, as others have chimed in.

Its a 2013

Hi Seth.
Great price for a great car. What model year was it? Enjoy your ride.

Hi -

This is a 2013. It turns 2 years old this month with less than 15K miles on it at my purchase time. It is in great shape with the colors and options that I wanted. For better or worse, people think that I'm driving a $100K car - and that's a long leap from my my Prius. As I posted earlier, if you can work with the local sales folk they can look up trade-in inventory on their system where the best priced CPO cars sell quickly. I am really enjoying this car!!!!!!!! Hope that helps.

Seth

And that's a pretty hands down decision on here to get that right? It would mean bumper to bumper warranty until 100k even though the car has 40k on it already?

Personally I'd prefer to buy a car from a private party with the extended warranty added to it as in most cases you will end up with a car with a longer warranty period than a CPO car. As long as the car does not have excessive miles, if the car you are buying is only 2 years old, this means you will get the remainder of the 2 year factory warranty plus 4 years of the extended warranty for 6 total years of warranty coverage.

The only caveat is that the CPO warranty has a zero deductible whereas the Tesla Extended Warranty has a $200 PER ISSUE (not per visit) deductible that could get quite expensive if you end up having multiple issues...