Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO buyers - Did Tesla fix your nose cone if in a state w/o front plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning on picking my car up Thursday and received pictures of it post-refurb and it had a front plate on it. I assumed as part of the refurb they would fix an obvious item like the front plate bracket if the CPO is coming from a state with front plate requirements to a state without.

Searching around on the forum found several mentions from CPO buyers regarding Tesla fixing this. My DS mentions they do not do this as part of the CPO.

Anyone here buy a CPO with a front plate bracket and get stuck with it in a state that doesn't require front plates?

So maybe the question to ask is - did you buy your CPO car from a state that requires a front plate when yours does not, and was there a front plate bracket on the car at delivery or a new, hole/plate free nose cone? I have to assume there are a lot of CPO cars shipping out of California to non-front plate states. Perhaps most service centers when refurbing CPOs just automatically do this so buyers never notice?

My CPO car came from Ohio, which requires a front plate. It came to Oregon (through Fremont), which also requires a front plate. There was no plate shown in the pre-purchase photos, and the car arrived with an unmarred nose cone and no license plate bracket.

My front plate rides around in the frunk. I'm going to plead stupidity as to how to attach the front plate when/if I get pulled over. (I actually have already been pulled over, for driving with my fog lights on. It was a Saturday before Thanksgiving, I think the sheriff's deputy was just cruising for DUI's. I'm glad he didn't mention the missing plate.)

So maybe the question to ask is - did you buy your CPO car from a state that requires a front plate when yours does not, and was there a front plate bracket on the car at delivery or a new, hole/plate free nose cone?

Yes I bought mine from a state (IL) that requires a front plate and my state does not. I asked about this prior to delivery and was told I was out of luck. The night before delivery, my DS sent me a photo of the car prepped for delivery (in the store) and it still had the front plate bracket. When I arrived for delivery, the DS was nice enough to scrounge up a used but undrilled nose cone from another trade-in car and popped it on my car.

Don't sweat it, several cheap on eBay:
TESLA MODEL S GRILLE 2012 2013 2014 GLOSSY BLACK OEM 1023312 1017415 | eBay

Mine is a front plate state CA, and car was born and lived her early life in CA also. Even as a CPO, no nose piercing was done. Perhaps when she's older....nah screw it. I'll risk the fine. Will get one for my tint anyway when that time comes too.

OT
Funny because a very nice cop in Mountain View stopped me for "almost running a stop sign". i.e. I didn't see it due to the bus in front of me and started to go, then jerked to a stop, coincidentally at the intersection. He pulled me over, chided me for having a car that "already" gains attention, doesn't need near blacked out windows all around. Yet, I got nothing basically by saying, yup, you got me. must have helped having my three kids in the back saying hello to the officer too.