Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO buyers with > 40k miles, any concerns?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it a used/CPO car from Tesla? Does it have the 2 year or 4 year CPO warranty?

If it has the 4 year "CPO" warranty, I'd say you have nothing to worry about, it's warrantied until 2022 or 94k miles.

The P85D is a fantastic vehicle. Lots of bang for the buck.

It is used from Tesla website, covered with 4yr/50k miles warranty. The build month is 8/15. I have been hearing that build quality of P cars is better than non-P cars, not sure how accurate is that.

I've never ever heard that. The difference between P85D and 85D is only the motor and inverter. Some people claim they're the same between the P and non-P models, and it's a just a firmware difference in the inverter. By 8/15 even the suspensions were the same. They're all assembled on the same line at the same time, so a build quality difference for "P" cars makes absolutely no sense to me.

No concerns from a mileage perspective since you are well covered with warranty. Is the car in the physical/aesthetic condition to your liking is the question.
No regrets with my 34K mile P85D CPO (at pickup; old program)!

I have an S 85D which is almost four years old and 70,000 miles.
No problems other than a few minor things early in its life (water in tail light, front camera flaky and replaced).
Love it every time I drive. Best car ever.

Is P85D also faster than 85D during takeovers acceleration (say from 60-90mph) ?
It should be.
Everybody touts 0-60 times but the real advantage of Teslas is their passing acceleration. I love that I have the power to pass whenever I need it. I live in the mountains with a lot of steep two lane roads. I can pass any time.
The P version has more power at all speeds.

Yeah, I drove my friend's 2015 85D and it was amazingly fast, with very good range. I will have to compromise on range a bit to get the performance of P85D.
it just depends on how you drive in everyday situations. maybe a fraction of range? less than would be significant in real life in my opinion.

i bought my CPO with 59K on her, and only a 2 year limited warranty. zero regrets. as time goes on there will be more options for simple repairs like door handles etc.

the important bits are the DU and Battery, which you get 8 years on from date of initial service.

I've seen your posts quite a lot about CPO cars. I understand your concerns. I've gone through identical moment with you.
CPO Tesla's are way better than CPO non-EV cars. You don't have to worry about the engine status. You don't need to go through all the hassles of oil changes and emission checks. Especially with 4 yrs/ 50K warranty, you are pretty much all set for at least first four years.

I mentioned this many times on other posts. Make sure to take a look at the photos very carefully. The damages disclosed on those photos are the one you will live with. Everything else, Tesla will fix it for you (upon proper request).

Don't worry too much about mileage. Obviously lower mileage is better option, but it's not the deal breaker.

Reactions: mspohr
Don't worry too much about mileage. Obviously lower mileage is better option, but it's not the deal breaker.
Thanks for the input. I decided to go with it, its a 2015 P85D with 43k miles. Pictures here:
Dropbox - 5YJSA1E43FF103088 - Simplify your life

I didn't see any concerning cosmetic issues in my observation. Let me know if you have any tips on getting a smoother CPO experience.

Thanks for the input. I decided to go with it, its a 2015 P85D with 43k miles. Pictures here:
Dropbox - 5YJSA1E43FF103088 - Simplify your life

I didn't see any concerning cosmetic issues in my observation.

Congrats! For a used/CPO that car looks super clean from the photos. You'll need tires soon, though. I think you found a gem in a pile of rocks. I think you'll be very happy with the car.

Let me know if you have any tips on getting a smoother CPO experience.

Patience! (see other threads on bad CPO delivery experiences).