TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CPO car without the tech package

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ivengo, Jan 6, 2016.

1. ivengo

ivengo Member

I'm considering buying a CPO car and to save money I'm looking at the cars without the tech package.

Are there benefits of the tech package that you cannot live without?

Does a car without the tech package have doors than can be open with keyfob and security alarm system or everything is sort of manual?

Also without the tech package there is no navigation. Is it inconvenient in everyday driving?

Thanks in advance for all the comments.

2. JeffS

JeffS Member

I think, if you can find one without tech, you are in a position to save a lot of money. Supply and demand. I don't know that there are many buyers out there for that config choice.

It's a lot of things that kinda make the Tesla a Tesla. There isn't any one thing that is unlivable if not there. In total though, the whole suite of little things...it always seems like a bunch of standard features that you have to pay extra for. Just my $.02.

3. Mike K

Mike K Member

Depending on the age of the car you're going to lose the HID headlights, turn by turn navigation, power trunk, self-presenting door handles, retracting mirrors, homelink and voice control.

I rented a P85 without the tech package in Chicago. Having that giant Google maps display and not being able to do anything with it gave me a bad case of the sads. But worse was the halogen headlights which on a car this price are inexcusable. And some might tell you that you can retrofit those (and you can) but why not pay nominally more for a car with the tech package and get all that stuff?

The tech package should add a nominal amount of money to a used car. Tech all the way.

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I honestly think the tech pkg really makes the MS. Don't get me wrong. The MS is awesome in it own right as a driver's car. But the tech is the icing. I never even considered not getting it. Yes, it needs work, but they are consistently making it better.

Worth every penny.

5. Olle

Olle Member

I remember the navigation was the thing that really made me go for the Tech pack. The other tech features I didn't care so much about. But paying for that awesome huge screen and not being able to use it felt wrong. My wife said the same thing and shes not even into cars. A lot of buyers probably think this way so one without Tech pkg should really be less expensive. If you are Ok putting your smartphone on the dash for navi its still an awesome car!

6. Zextraterrestrial

Tech still kind of has 'navigation' but not heads up and no turn by turn.
    I really got it for the foglights and auto present handles but the power liftgate is one of the nicer features of it.
    My co worker does not have the Tech package in a 2013 S and I haven't heard him complain about anything that he really misses