Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cpo cars have no location now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what’s going on with Tesla cpo? All locations of cars are disappearing.
That means now we have to pay 2000$ on top of every car?
Do we need to call Fremont sales office and talk to someone about it from now on?

I was hoping to get an early ap1 car for around 30k or a 75d facelift car for around 42k which seemed to pop up occasionally but now things are getting weird again.

Reactions: Daniel_6
They stopped CPO vehicles a year or so ago.

All they've had recently is used cars, big difference.
No it’s not a big difference. The commonly accepted understanding in America is that CPO means a manufacturer has checked the vehicle over, assured it meets a set of manufacturer-derived standards and thus qualifies for a new warranty upon sale to a new buyer.

So Tesla sales ARE CPO by definition, even though Tesla may not CALL them that.

Does anyone know what’s going on with Tesla cpo? All locations of cars are disappearing.
That means now we have to pay 2000$ on top of every car?
Do we need to call Fremont sales office and talk to someone about it from now on?

I was hoping to get an early ap1 car for around 30k or a 75d facelift car for around 42k which seemed to pop up occasionally but now things are getting weird again.

If it's true that location stays removed, then this must be the reason (profit pad)...

No, they don't check them. They sell them as-is.
Every Tesla car I can find listed in their Used section of the website says,
“This Model S has passed a full 70 point mechanical and cosmetic inspection

Mechanical inspections include:
  • Confirmed odometer of less than 100,000 miles
  • No evidence of structural repairs
  • Tires (4/32" minimum)
  • Steering and suspension components
  • Powertrain system
  • Brake pads and vehicle braking system
  • Exterior lighting systems
  • Driver controls
  • Safety restraint systems
  • Charging system and equipment functionality
So Tesla is repairing them as necessary and replacing bald tires, etc. Any car not meeting their checklist gets wholesaled. Anything Tesla lists on their site has passed their checklists, with repairs if needed. That’s not As-Is. It’s CERTIFIED to meet their 70-point checklist.

CPO isn't what you say, it's Certified Pre Owned. That tends to mean warranty. Tesla sells as-is.
Tesla sells all their used cars at Tesla.com WITH A WARRANTY

If it doesn't mean anything then I wonder why Tesla would have worried about changing away from it. That's because their is a BIG difference.
Tesla stopped doing front-to-back, top-to-bottom refurbishment and cosmetic fixes. It just took too long and they have too many cars to refurbish them. They still do an mechanical and safety inspection and minor repairs (tires if bald), certify the car passes their 70-point checklist and then sell the car with a new warranty that starts from the day the car is delivered to the new owner. Cars may have chips in paint, dings, etc that are COSMETIC. If you want a new car buy a new car. If you want a Used Tesla without a warranty buy it from CL or your local used car dealer. If you want a CPO Used Tesla with a Tesla warranty for the new owner you can only get that by buying it directly from Tesla.

So yes, by any reasonable measure Tesla used cars are CPO.

They do check the used/cpo. That’s why they come with a nice direct from Tesla warranty.
For example a 2016 car with under 50k miles would get an additional 4 year and 50k mile warranty on top! That’s why I want to buy from Tesla and not a regular used from a person or dealer

No, they don't check them. They sell them as-is.

CPO isn't what you say, it's Certified Pre Owned. That tends to mean warranty. Tesla sells as-is.

If it doesn't mean anything then I wonder why Tesla would have worried about changing away from it. That's because their is a BIG difference.

They only reason they're no longer called "CPO" and are now only called "used" is that Elon Musk woke up one day and tweeted that Tesla doesn't sell "CPO" cars, they're "used". And the entire Tesla organization had to scramble to cleanse their website and remarketing business operation of the term "CPO" and change it to "used". I truly believe that if Elon hadn't made that tweet, they would still be called "CPO" today.

No, they wouldn't. They pulled it because CPO implies a certain degree of cosmetic condition & refurbishment which Tesla, at one time, complied with. They got too busy & were just pushing used cars out as "CPO" until they got called on it. Lots of backlash & the end result is no more "CPO" program. I don't know why anyone would bother pushing back on these very simple facts.

You go to any other car company that offers CPO vehicles & they refurbish them & make them pretty.

Tesla doesn't.

So?

"CPO" means "Certified Pre-Owned".

Any car manufacturer can define "Certified" any way they want to. There's no standard or regulation defining that.

Tesla just changed their terminology from "CPO" to "used" long before they stoped refurbishing cars, only at Elon's request.

You're trying to argue a hard-and-fast line... when there is no such line or definition. If you review Erik_k's post #74 above, Tesla is refurbishing cars to a certain level of safety AND offering a "pre-owned limited warranty" above and beyond the factory warranty. While they choose to not call it CPO as per their CEO's irrational wishes, it's pretty much what they are offering, compared to any other "used" Tesla being sold by a dealer or private/third party with no such safety inspection or warranty.

What’s with the few folks on here that have a fit when someone refers to used as CPO? For most people, CPO means additional warranty, which is what buying used from Tesla gives you. It’s also easier to distinguish buying used from Tesla from buying used from somewhere else if it’s called CPO generically. We all get it that it’s not officially called CPO. Get over yourselves.

They're not CPO. Period.

Prove me wrong. Send me one single link where Tesla refers to their used cars as CPO. If you're right, it shouldn't be difficult.

I am kinda glad I am not related to you, honestly. Discussing any single topic with you at family gatherings has to be an absolute nightmare.

Do you understand the word “nuance”? Or the word context? Or just plain normal human conversations where words and expressions are thrown around in different ways and people just kind of understand what the other person meant even though the word they used wasn’t 100% fitting and it didn’t have to be 100% accurate?

If someone refers to Tesla cars as CPOs, it doesn’t necessarily mean they naively assume it’s the same as Audi CPO. Does it matter how we call it? We all know what we mean here and if someone doesn’t, it will be obvious. And for lord’s sake, it’s way easier to type CPO than pre-owned or preowned or whatever. It’s even easier to pronounce. To hell with this constant terror of insisting on literal words and meanings coming from you.

CPO on this forum is more like a slang word for Tesla used cars these days and we all roll with it. What’s the problem?

Should we rename Tesla Motors Club to Tesla Online Forum just because Tesla isn’t really “motors” anymore and club isn’t the word that really describes this place? The hell...

Last edited:
I am kinda glad I am not related to you, honestly. Discussing any single topic with you at family gatherings has to be an absolute nightmare.

Do you understand the word “nuance”? Or the word context? Or just plain normal human conversations where words and expressions are thrown around in different ways and people just kind of understand what the other person meant even though the word they used wasn’t 100% fitting and it didn’t have to be 100% accurate?

If someone refers to Tesla cars as CPOs, it doesn’t necessarily mean they naively assume it’s the same as Audi CPO. Does it matter how we call it? We all know what we mean here and if someone doesn’t, it will be obvious. And for lord’s sake, it’s way easier to type CPO than pre-owned or preowned or whatever. It’s even easier to pronounce. To hell with this constant terror of insisting on literal words and meanings coming from you.

CPO on this forum is more like a slang word for Tesla used cars these days and we all roll with it. What’s the problem?

Should we rename Tesla Motors Club to Tesla Online Forum just because Tesla isn’t really “motors” anymore and club isn’t the word that really describes this place? The hell...
I was under the impression I was on the tesla motors club forum... where we discuss tesla motors, the actual motors made by tesla!

But I totally agree with you lol
He’s the “uhhh actually” cousin that everyone hates to speak to.

They're not CPO. Period.

Prove me wrong. Send me one single link where Tesla refers to their used cars as CPO. If you're right, it shouldn't be difficult.

:rolleyes:

None of us are claiming that Tesla still uses the term "CPO" anymore. That doesn't mean that what they are doing isn't essentially the exact same thing.

Perhaps we should just call them MIPOWW (mechanically inspected pre-owned with warranty), or SCPOWW (safety checked pre-owned with warranty). Or even better, DDCICPOABEMIAN (don't dare call it certified pre-owned anymore because Elon Musk is a nutjob).

What’s with the few folks on here that have a fit when someone refers to used as CPO? For most people, CPO means additional warranty, which is what buying used from Tesla gives you. It’s also easier to distinguish buying used from Tesla from buying used from somewhere else if it’s called CPO generically. We all get it that it’s not officially called CPO. Get over yourselves.
Not true. For MOST people CPO implies certain cosmetic refurbishments. This is how it is across the auto industry. The way Tesla sells cars w/o you even being able to see them in person in most cases this is a recipe for disaster if everyone is calling them CPO. The average consumer will be tricked into thinking that their car is going to be an actual CPO when it's not. Then, after they plunk down their $70k, they're told by Tesla that their car is used and they don't do any cosmetic repairs or refurbishments all because a handful of people on an internet forum insisted in calling them "CPO" to save a few key strokes. This is why some people here "have a fit" because it's incorrect and it could cost someone big time. People come here to research and find correct information, not misinformation.

The problem here is that WE all don't. You and I may know what the person meant but others reading it may not have any clue. That's the point. Why does it require an act of Congress to use proper terminology to avoid confusion?