Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO change to warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been lurking in the CPO website for a while now, and noticed only today that all the models now say they come with 'the balance of the battery warranty and km' with a 4 year/80k km CPO warranty.

They used to have on some models up to 6 years and unlimited km for battery starting from the CPO sale date.

Any idea when this change happened? I was considering a CPO tesla vs keeping my model 3 order, but with this change it seals the decision to keep the 3 for me since I was looking at CPO in the 2015 years as the newer ones are out of my budget, and one big advantage before was getting a fresh battery warranty.

Which model are you looking at? I see "receives a full inspection, remaining battery and drive warranty and a four year, 80,000 km pre-owned limited warranty with 24 hour roadside assistance."

I've been looking since late June-early July and the wording was the same

There were a bunch I've seen that didn't say remaining battery warranty, and had a new one start from CPO sale date. A salesperson at Oakville confirmed (in July) this was one big difference between buying a CPO and off Autotrader where you just get the balance, which in many cases for a 2014 means < 1 year of battery warranty remaining.

I think I see the discrepancy...if you go to 'quick view' I still see the battery warranty as 6 years/infinite:

upload_2018-8-2_8-38-38.png

But, in the actual page it says its the balance of the warranty:

upload_2018-8-2_8-39-41.png

So, it seems I was given incorrect information from the Tesla sales rep in Oakville because I specifically asked if the 6 year/infinite warranty thing re-started at the time of CPO purchase, or from the original purchase date and I was told that the clock would start at the CPO purchase date.

Either way, I guess the conclusion is the same: no CPO for me as some are 2014's with 5 years, so there would be only 2 years left. The above example only has 3 years left. If it re-started there would be a huge advantage, but it looks like buying a used one from autotrader would be a better value for money....

That price is just ridiculous for a 2015 70D. Especially considering they don't refurbish the CPO cars anymore.

Why don't they refurbish cpos anymore? When did this take effect? I am re thinking the CPO, now that my model 3 got pushed back to October/December, and if I wanted to add autopilot now they would charge the newer AWD and paint cost.. so if I can get a 2015 S with 45k km for <75k I'm now thinking that is a better option since it 2ill probably hold its value better than the 3 (since the depreciation is the worst in first few years).....

A CPO I could get quicker, and I have people already interested in my car on Autotrader, so now the timing is getting to be difficult to manage..

But if they don't refurbish (I read a few threads saying you essentially get a brand new tesla with CPO versus buying private), this once again changes things....

Does the free supercharging transfer to the next owner (if I sell it in 3-4 years) for a 2015/2014?

Why don't they refurbish cpos anymore? When did this take effect? I am re thinking the CPO, now that my model 3 got pushed back to October/December, and if I wanted to add autopilot now they would charge the newer AWD and paint cost.. so if I can get a 2015 S with 45k km for <75k I'm now thinking that is a better option since it 2ill probably hold its value better than the 3 (since the depreciation is the worst in first few years).....

A CPO I could get quicker, and I have people already interested in my car on Autotrader, so now the timing is getting to be difficult to manage..

But if they don't refurbish (I read a few threads saying you essentially get a brand new tesla with CPO versus buying private), this once again changes things....

Does the free supercharging transfer to the next owner (if I sell it in 3-4 years) for a 2015/2014?
I believe it was around the beginning of the year when they announced they would not be refurbishing CPOs anymore. The reason they stated was that they would be expected an influx of off-lease cars soon and didn't have the resources to fully refurbish them all properly. So the CPO cars now just have a general overview to make sure everything is in working condition and then listed for sale. They absolutely do not do the full treatment like they used to which included fixing paint and upholstery wear/tear, etc. Of course the pricing of CPO cars don't reflect this.

For ~$75k, I would wait for the Model 3. You will be getting a much better car IMO, especially compared to a 2015 S. It will be much newer, have more range and better technology.

Free Supercharging for cars from those years is attached to the car and not the owner so it will transfer from buyer to buyer.