Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO delivery in an area other than home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you buy a used Tesla car off their site and it's not in your area (eg out of state) are you forced to spend the $2500 transport or can you go there and take delivery?

i'm sure someone has tried tried or asked this but i couldn't find the thread.

Depends where you are looking to buy and what the tax situation is.

Some states you can, others you cannot without being taxed twice.

Interesting. Car would be california registered. Tesla has cars in chicago, florida, new england, denver, etc. Im sure plenty of ppl buy used cars out of state without being taxed twice?

Honestly not enjoying the X that much. Just looking around at options and stuff. Nothing too serious right now. :D

Take your X to cathedral city sc (Palm Springs )they will fix properly Costa Mesa one of the worst SCs and hopefully that didn’t skew your opinion to much ...the X is great car ...I had 2 Ss probably won’t go back as X is so much better

Interesting. Car would be california registered. Tesla has cars in chicago, florida, new england, denver, etc. Im sure plenty of ppl buy used cars out of state without being taxed twice?

You can pick up from any of the states you mention I believe. Check with your SA.

The real issue comes when you live in a state other than California and you want to pick up a vehicle there. You should be good to go.

I live in California and I saw a CPO MS listed in Washington. I put down the deposit and when my SA contacted me, I asked him to transport it to Nevada. It was as easy as that.

Heard they aren’t doing that anymore because the state of CA got pissed that some people who were actually residents were skirting the tax.

Seems like with everything else, YMMV

that's good to hear. what was the process, did you just tell your used car advisor? when you picked up the car, what was the registration process?

Yeah, just told my sales advisor that I wanted to pick it up in GA and that I would drive it home to CA myself. This, of course, saved me the $2500 transportation fee. I also asked that they forego detailing the car in GA and, instead, I would ask the San Diego delivery center to detail the vehicle since it would get all grimy from the $2k+ road trip anyway. This has worked out well and I would advise anyone doing something similar to request the same.

When I got to GA, they slapped on a temporary GA plate in the back and gave me a temporary GA registration. They also gave me the CA temporary registration and sticker for me to affix to my windshield when I arrived in CA. Once back in CA, I brought it to the local Tesla delivery center where they did a 5 minute VIN verification. Two or three weeks later the CA plates and registration came in the mail. Tesla had taken care of all the paperwork and it turns out that I had already paid the registration and tax as part of the purchase transaction. All I had to do then was go to AAA and have them assign the personalized plates from my prior vehicle to my Tesla and I give up the random plates that had come in the mail.