Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO, is it for real? What are your experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I was curious as to how was the experience for people who went through the CPO to get a used Tesla. Because in my case it's been absolutely pathetic.

Indeed two weeks ago I started wondering whether I should wait for model 3 or go for a used model S. I went to the website, looked at the models, and was interested in a 2015 S 85D. I left my email address and phone number on the provided form.

After 4 days since I got no response I checked the site again and saw a phone number. So I called and spoke to a person about the model I was interested in. I had a couple of questions about the car but she didn't seem to have much information, and said she would take my name and phone number (and email) and have some "adviser" call me back. That was 4 days ago again.

BTW I'm in Canada so I'd like to hear from fellow Canadians who purchased through the CPO.

Thanks.

I'll tell you now... lower your expectations for sure.. You'll be happy in the end with the Vehicle I'm sure, and they will fix usually any reasonable issues with the vehicle which is nice to have a car company try to do that for some issues...(trim, decor, creaks, small damage, tiny nuisances, etc..)

But my friend.. I'll tell you flat out it's an awful purchase process.. Once you put a deposit down on a vehicle they start to get with it more, but before then, they basically treat you as someone wanting to play with a pretty car and not a serious buyer.

As a person coming from our community (with rather fresh experience), just stick out the awful initial experience and keep pressing them. It's their job to satisfy you. Sometimes you gotta show them.

I suspect that these experiences are a result of the salespeople making no commision on vehicles they're involved with.

• Informative
Reactions: P85Dave
Once you put money down they seem to take notice. I found a car and put a deposit down, then wanted to switch so a CPO Adviser called and we found a better deal on a car that wasn't listed yet. In the end I got a great car and very happy as it looked like new.

Hello all,

I was curious as to how was the experience for people who went through the CPO to get a used Tesla. Because in my case it's been absolutely pathetic.

Indeed two weeks ago I started wondering whether I should wait for model 3 or go for a used model S. I went to the website, looked at the models, and was interested in a 2015 S 85D. I left my email address and phone number on the provided form.

After 4 days since I got no response I checked the site again and saw a phone number. So I called and spoke to a person about the model I was interested in. I had a couple of questions about the car but she didn't seem to have much information, and said she would take my name and phone number (and email) and have some "adviser" call me back. That was 4 days ago again.

BTW I'm in Canada so I'd like to hear from fellow Canadians who purchased through the CPO.

Thanks.

Hello @hroussel

I bought a CPO Model S90D about 3 or 4 months ago. I have probably posted my experience on TMC somewhere but I will give you the very abbreviated version.

I first test drove a Model S from the Yorkdale store in Toronto. I fell in love. There was no way around it, however, the government just reduced the rebate from $8,500.00 to $3,000 days earlier so I felt slighted enough that I thought CPO was a better route to go. I started the CPO process and I was VERY unimpressed with how I was handled almost from the first minute but they way they mishandled my trade-in was just really bad, so I walked away from Tesla for about 10 months.

In that time, I test drove an E63 AMG, A7, A6, A5, GS350, 5 Series etc... I probably went on about 15 different test drives and NOTHING rang the bell the way the Tesla did, so I came back, but I did so differently.

I perused the CPO offerings daily and eventually the car I purchased came up. Right set of features, right colour, right price, right mileage and I purchased the car online, sight unseen. I put down my deposit and I instantly got an email from Tesla starting the process.

Unfortunately, after the deposit, the contact with Tesla wasn't great and one of the guys that had insulted me quite badly with my trade-in 10 months earlier was the guy to contact me.

My experience is that I wasn't "wowed" by the buying experience. I've been a long time Lexus owner and they have the buying experience down to a science. My experience with Tesla was different, HOWEVER, keep in mind, it's the car that really matters. My drive to work is an hour in each direction. When I am sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, the buying experience is something that never comes to my mind. The only thing that comes to mind is that I am driving my dream car. All of the rest doesn't matter.

So, if you like the car enough, ask your questions here and order away!!!!

Once you get in touch with a CPO adviser the process will likely pick up. There is a massive CPO thread here that should give you more information than you even want. Someone may be able to PM you the contact info for the Canada CPO adviser -- they are handled by region.

I just finally pulled the trigger yesterday after years of drooling :). First email received, hopefully things move smoothly from here.

Attachments

• IMG_3779.jpg
    IMG_3779.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_3780.PNG
    IMG_3780.PNG
    314.9 KB · Views: 151
I did speak with a cpo adviser in person and nada... crickets... in-store experience was even worse.

I finally discovered EV-CPO, paid for a months membership, watched for awhile, set some alerts and pounced within a couple of minutes when a good car popped up. Ordered online, never did hear back from any of the in-store or CPO advisers that were supposed to be looking for my car

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Just a followup to my initial message.

I finally got a call a few days ago from a Tesla sales person. So even without deposit it works. Just have to be a bit patient. Apparently there's a lot of people showing interested and they have some backlog. The sales person was very nice and polite.

Having said that, after a visit to the local Tesla store here in Montreal, I finally decided to go for a new model, a 75D. I'm about to pass the order and the biggest question is whether I will go for silver midnight or deep blue metallic.

Reactions: skitown
Tesla only really seem interested in new car sales and that’s hardly a good process at times especially over finance .

The list only a small subset of their stock

CPO sites often have more but because of the different ways they try to find hidden cars the results can be patchy. In the UK this site has twice as many cars as any other site and tracks price movements. No good outside the uk, but the takeaway unfortunately is if you can’t see a car you like online, you need to sit in a show room and get someone to search the listings for you as there probably is one somewhere in the hidden stock

Tesla MS and MX cars for sale in the UK

Reactions: smac
Hello all,

Thanks.

My CPO experience makes me think Tesla might run into trouble in the future....
Right now the Tesla attitude is: we have more customers than we do cars - one day when they have more cars than customers they may have to adapt?

Reactions: P85Dave
Love my CPO car. June 2017 purchase. Put my money down over the internet. Received a couple of calls. Then BAM! a Model S delivered. Total time about 7 weeks. My car did have a transfer to a closer SC. The are not very communicative through the process, but the final product was awesome.

Bobby

i didn't have the courage to buy without speaking with someone first. i received a call back almost immediately which I understand is rare. in the next 3 days she found me a P85 under my budget and sent me pics. (this was when they still did a full refurbishment.) I paid the $1000 and started my wait.

The wait sucks. No two ways about that. It sucks bad.

my adviser only contacted me when they had something new to tell me. more than once i received no response but i know how busy they are, i'm in sales. that being no excuse to a lot of people is not completely lost on me though.

now some things got lost in the process. they didn't do the LTE upgrade until after I had the car. the windshield had a nick and they promised to fix it, and they did when they did the LTE thing.

they also lost the $2000 transportation fee I was told I'd have to pay, so no complaints about that.

the car makes it all better. i'm happy now even after the honeymoon phase, if it's ended, if it ever does.

I picked up a CPO 12/2014 Model S P85D with 33k miles from Buena Park Tesla after waiting for a week and a half. I received a PERFECT CAR! I mean, No Dings, No Scratch anywhere!!! The paint is shiny like it was just clayed and waxed. Even the inner crevices of the wheels and brakes as far as your eyes can see are spotless and just like Brand Spanking New! The only negative is the included mobile charger with so much scratch, scuff and dents on the handle/prong as if the previous user dragged that thing on a rough concrete road somewhere! But seeing how meticulous the previous owner took care of the car, I suspect someone switched out the original charger.

Attachments

• IMG_7187.JPG
    IMG_7187.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7134.JPG
    IMG_7134.JPG
    347.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7151.JPG
    IMG_7151.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7176.JPG
    IMG_7176.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: Olds442
Congrats on getting a car in great condition!
The last 2 P85D's I've gotten pictures of had slight imperfections and when I asked about them, crickets, I think I have to call the SA who helped me get my car and have him search because the person who sends out pictures from the Used Car listings just flakes out on me each time when asked about the condition of the cars.