Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Maintenance History

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, thanks for all of the helpful dialogue on this site as it has been really helpful as I go through the buying process. I put a deposit down on a CPO (2016 90D, white, pano/PUP/SAS, 5,700 miles) and am looking forward to receiving the vehicle. I mentioned to my pre-owned adviser that I'd like to see the maintenance history on the vehicle, and he said Tesla doesn't share that. He did send me the Carfax so I know there were no accidents reported.

Has anyone asked this question and received a similar answer? I've sold/traded in used cars before and I always just provided the maintenance records because it felt like the right thing to do. His answer seemed odd to me.

If you ask them a specific question, they will answer it. Like, has my car ever had the drive motor replaced? Have the door handles needed service?

I found that if you ask for the general report of the car, they are not so keen to answer, but if you ask specifically they will answer. Also, take some donuts to the service center on your next appointment, they appreciate the kind gesture. I find treating people with respect and how I would like to be treated goes far when asking questions that might be out of the normal.

Oddly when I bought my BMW they were quick to print out my service history from the previous owner, so it is a bit off that Tesla would not do the same, but you are covered for a 4 year 50k mile warranty, so it can't be all that bad.

My CPO process was great, and I could not imagine it going better.

Hope that helps,
Richard

Thanks - that's all very helpful. I'll be using the tips/checklists provided on the site for my pick-up inspection. Does anyone have experience with a low mileage CPO? Mine has only 5,700 miles, so I think the odds are the wear and tear should be pretty minimal (although I will still be diligent in my inspection). Curious what others with low mileage CPOs experienced.

I purchased an inventory Model X P100D with only 1500 miles on it. I also asked for a printout of all service records. I thought it was a very reasonable request but I was told Tesla does not do this.

I really do not understand why. However, with some good will gestures towards the service team (as @RichardD noted above) I was able to get a verbal history of my car.

When I was at Tesla last week somebody was there getting service and brought a tray of cupcakes for the team. Straight player move!

Reactions: RichardD
Thanks - that's all very helpful. I'll be using the tips/checklists provided on the site for my pick-up inspection. Does anyone have experience with a low mileage CPO? Mine has only 5,700 miles, so I think the odds are the wear and tear should be pretty minimal (although I will still be diligent in my inspection). Curious what others with low mileage CPOs experienced.

Last year I picked up a 2014 CPO with about 10k miles. It could've passed as new, inside and out. Other than the drivers seat (which showed almost no wear) the other seats looked like no one had sat in them. That being said, mileage is obviously not determinative of condition. I'm sure yours will be pristine and you'll love it. Congrats.

I bought a 2014 CPO. I placed the order online, paid my deposit, and the car was shipped from TX to MA. Some amount of prep was done in TX before shipment.

I went to the service center after the car arrived (prior to them finishing the prep) to check it out before paying the balance. I sat down with the service advisor and said something like "I know you can't give me the prior service records, but can you check and see if there's anything concerning?"

He gave me a complete verbal rundown of everything done to the car - annual service at 1 year old, 2nd annual after the car was traded in, no signs of accident damage or collision repair parts ordered for that VIN. A couple of minor warranty repairs, but nothing major. No drive unit or battery replacements. That was enough detail for me.

The whole "we can't give the service records because we have to maintain the prior owner's privacy" thing is sort of silly, in light of the fact that they gave me a signed title with the prior owner's name and address. But I guess if they handled the paperwork for you, you'd never get the original title (they don't do NH registrations, since that requires a trip to town hall).
He did send me the Carfax so I know there were no accidents reported.
Keep in mind a clean Carfax doesn't really mean much. I have a 2 cars that were in 3 accidents (combined), 2 of which were filled against my insurance. Both cars have completely clear Carfaxes. They miss a lot.