Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO model S AP 2.0 versus 2.5 questions (both MCU 1) but FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for you owners, experts. Looking at getting a CPO model S. One has AP 2.0 and the other AP 2.5. Both have FSD so they can be upgraded but is there any advantage (both have MCU 1 and I won’t upgrade that right away) to getting AP 2.5 when both can do self driving and will be upgraded? I think I read AP 2.5 can do sentry mode even with MCU1? Thanks in advance

Important distinction to avoid confusion: Tesla ended the CPO program over a year ago. What you're talking about is a used car and not a CPO which would normally denote a certain level of cosmetic inspection and refurbishment. What you're getting is a used car with a factory warranty against mechanical defects that likely hasn't even had the 70-point inspection done that they claim. It's important that you know you're buying a used car and inspect it thoroughly as any cosmetic issues are yours once you sign the paperwork. If you want them to fix anything ask before you sign paperwork and force them to put it in writing. That last part is SUPER important especially when dealing with Tesla.

Reactions: Akikiki
First to cut off all the 'semantics' people here: yes - he knows there is no CPO program. He is looking to buy a used car from Tesla with a warranty. K thx bye.

Now on to the question:
The main difference between AP 2.0 and AP 2.5 is the camera array being used. AP 2.5 cameras use a more natural color filter whereas AP 2.0 has a color filter which blocks some color. In the grand scheme of things as to how they both play out with an AP 3.0 upgrade, I don't think there is much of a difference.

That being said, Tesla changed the camera setup for a reason but I think both 2.0 and 2.5 cameras will work equally well with 3.0 hardware. The main component is the MCU2 which provides the dashcam/sentry capability as well as the AP 3.0 CPU which provides the processing power.

First to cut off all the 'semantics' people here: yes - he knows there is no CPO program. He is looking to buy a used car from Tesla with a warranty. K thx bye.

Now on to the question:
The main difference between AP 2.0 and AP 2.5 is the camera array being used. AP 2.5 cameras use a more natural color filter whereas AP 2.0 has a color filter which blocks some color. In the grand scheme of things as to how they both play out with an AP 3.0 upgrade, I don't think there is much of a difference.

That being said, Tesla changed the camera setup for a reason but I think both 2.0 and 2.5 cameras will work equally well with 3.0 hardware. The main component is the MCU2 which provides the dashcam/sentry capability as well as the AP 3.0 CPU which provides the processing power.

Thanks! Yes correct they don’t do CPO anymore, I’ll edit that. So no sentry mode regardless of the choice with MCU1. Thanks!

Thanks! Yes correct they don’t do CPO anymore, I’ll edit that. So no sentry mode regardless of the choice with MCU1. Thanks!

If I am not mistaken, AP 2.5 / MCU 1 will record sentry video but not dashcam. AP 2.0 / MCU 1 displays sentry alerts on screen (e.g. MCU will show the "you are being recorded" to people but nothing is actually being recorded.

Reactions: N8Howell33

Actually, you have no proof that "he knows" this fact since he either intentionally or mistakenly used the improper term. If it's the latter (which indicates the he, in fact, didn't know) my info would be helpful & could possibly prevent him or someone else from making a mistake based on misinformation they read either in this thread or others where people continue to intentionally use terms improperly.

The simple fact is that Tesla had a CPO program once. They discontinued it over a year ago and went extensive effort to wipe any and all mention of the term "CPO" from it's web pages, official legal documents, employee materials, etc. Why would anyone insist it's still a thing?

I've already run across specific examples where people researching used Teslas read the term "CPO" used recently and then bought a used car Tesla sold to them w/o inspection (as we all know is Tesla's official used car delivery process for obvious reasons) and ended up having to eat several flaws in their used car w/o the recourse that one would expect of a CPO program. They even stated specifically that they thought they were buying CPO and were sure Tesla would take care of them after the sale and would have been more diligent on the front end and demanded to inspect it prior to signing had they known they were buying used and NOT a CPO.

This is already a confusing enough topic w/o people intentionally misusing terms commonly understood to mean something that simply doesn't apply to Tesla's used car program. Why some on this forum are so married to using the term CPO even when it no longer applies to the cars that Tesla sells & causes confusion among new members of the community and potential buyers is beyond me. Seems like a pointless hill to die on with little to no upside to "winning" that argument.

Since both have FSD and will be upgraded to AP3.0, the only functional difference is more color in your dashcam recordings with the AP2.5 cameras. With the AP2 cameras, everything looks a bit more gray/red on the cameras. Otherwise, no difference at all.

Best answer. Given both cars will be upgraded to HW3, the camera color is the only meaningful difference.

"important distinction" about meaningless arbitrary definitions of what "CPO" means notwithstanding. :rolleyes:

Reactions: N8Howell33