Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Model X inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My gut feeling is you may be in a small minority of X drivers. Honestly, I have never met an X driver who is single or in just a 2-person household. Only people I know that own a larger SUV like the X for just self or couple with no kids are status drivers, such as those driving a G, Cayenne, or Range. Definitely the Y is a better fit for you as you mention. I don’t think Tesla was primarily going after child-less drivers as their target market with the X.
I can say that many families I met with 2 or more kids believe the X is perfect size, or sometimes even too small for long trips. The 3 is definitely small with 2 young kids in car seats, which makes me believe the Y will be as well since it’s pretty much the same car with just a few more inches each way. My neighbors with the 3 solely use it as commuter. They either have larger SUV’s (and not even CUVs like the Y and X3) or minivans for family outings.

But, my view may be biased as I live in a suburbia world just outside of SF with families shuttling kids to after school activities. Might not be the same in a dense area like SF city or NYC.

Last edited:
My gut feeling is you may be in a small minority of X drivers. Honestly, I have never met an X driver who is single or in just a 2-person household. Only people I know that own a larger SUV like the X for just self or couple with no kids are status drivers, such as those driving a G, Cayenne, or Range. Definitely the Y is a better fit for you as you mention. I don’t think Tesla was primarily going after child-less drivers as their target market with the X.
I can say that many families I met with 2 or more kids believe the X is perfect size, or sometimes even too small for long trips. The 3 is definitely small with 2 young kids in car seats, which makes me believe the Y will be as well since it’s pretty much the same car with just a few more inches each way. My neighbors with the 3 solely use it as commuter. They either have larger SUV’s (and not even CUVs like the Y and X3) or minivans for family outings.

But, my view may be biased as I live in a suburbia world just outside of SF with families shuttling kids to after school activities. Might not be the same in a dense area like SF city or NYC.

I know a number of Model X drivers that are single males or females, or couples. And I live in the burbs where the SUV is king. And also, remember that any parent currently hauling kids will sooner or later be out of that phase when their kids start driving at 16. No more getting up and hauling the kids to school when the oldest turn 16 and starts driving the others. Ya!!!

Right now the only Tesla SUV/CUV choice we have is the Model X, so if you want the upright seating position and extra space of a SUV/CUV you get an X. When there are 2 or more Tesla SUV/CUV options people will select the one fits their lives the best. You see this with people that used to have a Chevy Suburban or Ford Expedition, and are now downsizing to a Chevy Equinox or Traverse, or a Ford Explorer or Escape. My relatives in the midwest did this and appreciate the smaller size, easy of maneuverability, and higher gas mileage.

My guess that when it is released, in a given period of time the Model Y will sell 2-3 times as many units as the Model 3. You only have to look at GM and Ford sales to see that people want a mid/compact SUV.

• Love
Reactions: ModelX and DanCar
I'm tempted to order new X since searching for the right CPO X turns out to be nothing for more than a month now.

The price difference is not significant compared to brand new X. Still, my mind is telling me to wait it out, my heart is saying why wait, buy new now.

Reactions: DanCar
I'm tempted to order new X since searching for the right CPO X turns out to be nothing for more than a month now.

The price difference is not significant compared to brand new X. Still, my mind is telling me to wait it out, my heart is saying why wait, buy new now.

Your heart is silly.

There are several listed on cars.com......I saw a black 2018 100D with 4K miles for $89 that was pretty much brand new.

I personally would never buy a new Tesla or buy a CPO from them nowadays. Its like throwing money into a black hole.

Last edited:
The new ones have better range & better tech, not so sure about the build quality. I would imagine it should be a little better?

For low mileage (< 20K miles for me) CPO X, compared to a brand new build, I honestly think the price difference is not significant enough.

I have a 2015 S 85D. to buy an X with kinda "obsolete" tech like my S is "boring" to me. but if the price is good, I will go for it.

Everybody has different circumstances and thinking.

Last edited:
Inventory numbers depends where you look as Tesla are known to massage the publicly listed inventory and keep some hidden. Some sites try to find and show that stock.

With no new inventory in the US at the moment and belief they're not even making any, listing more CPO stock won't hurt new sales.

I know we have not met... but I am a single Model X owner. =P I like the room and I am tall, so prefer to not have to climb down to get into a car. Plus having more room for trips to Home Depot is nice to have.