Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Model X inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You only get a $10K discount over inventory vehicles, buying used. And it is not CPO anymore, Tesla doesn't fix cosmetic issues. Tesla keeps lowering the prices and the Xs sell so they are in demand, that expains the low inventory. Later in the year we should see more as Tesla sold more almost 3 years ago. When the Model Y reaches mass production, prices of the X will plummet. Expect to see prices from today's 60Ks to 40Ks when that happens.

Maybe for a 75D that is true, but if you want a 90D, there aren't any in New inventory. I'm not sure how Model Y affects Model X buyers at all, Model Y is too small for some people just like Model 3 is too small.

The cheapest new inventory 100D is $92,500. But used 90D routinely goes into the 60's. So that is almost a $30k discount.

You only get a $10K discount over inventory vehicles, buying used. And it is not CPO anymore, Tesla doesn't fix cosmetic issues.

They're still mechanically certified just not cosmetically which is more than a normal used car.not from Tesla, Tesla even include a flag in their data

"CPORefurbishmentStatus":"Complete"

People are getting hung up on this a lot, I don't see the problem nor the need to stop calling them CPO, I#d accept its a CPO Lite compared to what it once was, but its still CPO

I've been looking at the used Model X inventory on ev-cpo.com. Right now I see only 25 used Model X in the USA on their site! Does that seem low to anyone else? Has anyone bought a used Model X from Tesla recently? What did you think of the process?

I would not buy a low VIN X from anyone. Try cars.com or craigslist for a used but newer one. I saw a black 100D for $92 something last night on cars.com.

Any tips for buying a used X? Where do you guys go to find details like Production date, first sold date, and if it has super charging and autopilot included? A lot of 3rd party dealers don't seem to have any of this information listed.

I've narrowed down my must have's and the search is beginning:

White
Model X 100D
6 Seats
Black Interior

But after reading on the forums here I see I need to ensure it also has:
  • Model Year 2017
  • Produced after Oct 2016 (Autopilot 2 Hardware)
  • Sold After Jan 1st 2017 or Never Licenced in CA (RED HOV Stickers)
  • Must have been Delivered before March 2017 (Free Supercharging)

It seems like a pretty narrow window. What do you guys recommend?

Buy used direct from Tesla, buy from 3rd party dealer? eBay? Anywhere any tools out there I'm missing to check production dates based on Vin?

Reactions: brewcoffee2019
It really depends on how early, for instance I took delivery in May, 2016 and I never had any hardware issues. Just some cosmetic (like seals) that the SC resolved for me. Never had door issues either...but the SC recently replaced my door latches as a precaution. I haven't had to take my X to the service center (other than annual service) for the past year and a half.

We got our second X through Tesla's used inventory. It went pretty smooth. About 3 days of paperwork and financing and another week to ship from vegas to costa mesa. When it arrived, they noticed a crack in the windshield. It was only a small chip but they replaced it within a day. The hood also had undisclosed dents (which is finally getting fixed with no charge). They also replaced the center console lid which didn't stay open and the 3rd row carpet backing which kept on catching on the sub trunk lid. Tesla takes pics of all known cosmetic issues and discloses it when you request photos. If you buy it, it is as is and you accept those flaws. But if it was not documented, such as my case, you can refuse if they don't agree to fix it.

Inventory varies just depending on availability and demand. Sometimes there's a ton to choose from, other times there's none. They also withhold vehicles and relist at a later time. If you are not in a rush, I recommend waiting till you get exactly what you want at the price you want. Eventually it will show up. I used http://www.teslacpo.io to keep an eye on the ones I were interested in. I narrowed it down to "7 seat" and "red brake calipers" which ensured it was the p90d. Almost 90% of the time, it was the p90dl which was what I was looking for. It was also easy to see the price fluctuations.

If you want the unicorn X, you're looking for production between 10/2016 and 01/2017. After mid jan 2017, 2nd owners do not get free supercharging, and before oct 2016 you only get AP1. I recommend buying directly from Tesla for the added warranty. They tack on 4 year/50k for cars under 50k miles, or 2 year/100k for cars over 50k miles.

The monroney on my 03/2016 was 144k. I got it for 68k less. Not a bad deal in my book.

Are the low vins really that bad? Aren't all problems covered under warranty?

One of ours was bought as a used 2016 P90DL. Not a single problem with the car so far. Only issue we had/having is frequent battery drain of the keyfob. They promised a change in the keyfob module inside the car next time it happens though.

No acceleration shudder, no weird windshield ghosting, no misaligned panels, nothing, nada. In fact it’s more problem free than one we bought new afterwards. I saw misaligned panels with newer 3’s when we went to the delivery center last year but none on our older X. I think people just hear more bad stories because it’s natural for humans to write about bad experiences, especially on a forum like this.

You only get a $10K discount over inventory vehicles, buying used. And it is not CPO anymore, Tesla doesn't fix cosmetic issues. Tesla keeps lowering the prices and the Xs sell so they are in demand, that expains the low inventory. Later in the year we should see more as Tesla sold more almost 3 years ago. When the Model Y reaches mass production, prices of the X will plummet. Expect to see prices from today's 60Ks to 40Ks when that happens.

Timing is important with buying a Tesla whether used or new. We got our exactly 24-month used P90DL with just 20K mikes on odometer for close to 50% off original sticker price last year. Looks like another person above did as well. And not a single problem besides keyfob battery issue.

In fact, in some ways, I’m a proponent for used Tesla’s because the new buyer will likely have taken care of most issues within the first 2 years if any came up. Also, at least when we were shopping for used, direct from Tesla used was 99% of the time cheaper than what private sellers were asking for. Understandably so. Those sellers probably couldn’t stomach their purchase depreciating ~2% of original purchase price every month. And Tesla doesn’t pay well for trade-ins. At best they match CarMax.

And I don’t think X prices will plummet. The target buyers of X and Y are different. There will always be a market for wanting the FWD. Not many who can afford and prefer a larger SUV will size down to the Y. More likely is Y taking away sales from the 3 as the trend, in the US at least, is towards CUVs.

Last edited:
Reactions: forkee
We've also just picked up a CPO 2016 X90D three months ago. November 2016 build, AP2+EAP, unlimited supercharging.
Delivery took 2.5 weeks, very easy and straightforward, traded in our P85. So far so good, a noticeable improvement over an old Model S.

Timing is important with buying a Tesla whether used or new. We got our exactly 24-month used P90DL with just 20K mikes on odometer for close to 50% off original sticker price last year. Looks like another person above did as well. And not a single problem besides keyfob battery issue.

In fact, in some ways, I’m a proponent for used Tesla’s because the new buyer will likely have taken care of most issues within the first 2 years if any came up. Also, at least when we were shopping for used, direct from Tesla used was 99% of the time cheaper than what private sellers were asking for. Understandably so. Those sellers probably couldn’t stomach their purchase depreciating ~2% of original purchase price every month. And Tesla doesn’t pay well for trade-ins. At best they match CarMax.

And I don’t think X prices will plummet. The target buyers of X and Y are different. There will always be a market for wanting the FWD. Not many who can afford and prefer a larger SUV will size down to the Y. More likely is Y taking away sales from the 3 as the trend, in the US at least, is towards CUVs.

When my X lease is up in 2021 I will definitely look at the Y as an option. The X is nice, but is a big car. Since it is only my wife and I 99.9% we have a 5 seater but never use the entire space for our 4 or 5 bags of groceries a week. I suspect are not the only ones that fit better in a smaller CUV. Nothing to do with money. More to do with the size of vehicle, needs, and maneuverability.

Reactions: ModelX and DanCar