Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO MS 85 w/AP1 for 55.6k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been checking ev-cpo with the same parameters for a while now and it appears a few more CPOs became available. For anyone in the market for a MS 85 w/AP1 for less than 56k, there's one awaiting your deposit! :)

*Side note* it said 5k delivery to TX so it must be a good *waze* away ;)

upload_2018-1-16_16-56-58.png

upload_2018-1-16_16-57-6.png

@NateGordonJr - you and I talked about this car and the one in Atlanta that is not a CPO car. I was just comparing these 2 cars (yes, I'm still agonizing over whether to buy that car in Atlanta or not!), and just thinking about this:

The car in Atlanta has 39,500 miles, the CPO has 24,500. That's a difference of 15,000 miles. At 25 cents a mile depreciation, that's $3750 more value for the CPO.
The car in Atlanta has Air Suspension, 19" Slip Stream Wheels, Pano Roof, Premium Interior Lighting that the CPO car doesn't. That's around $5000 to $6000 in options.

So, ultimately, the car in Atlanta, just taking the actual car, and not the value of the CPO warranty or the shipping cost of either, is worth $1250 to $2250 more than this CPO car. That means it's worth around $57k to $58k if the CPO car is $55,600. Now, the CPO car does come with the 50k mile warranty (of which truly, you're only getting 25k miles because it's covered under warranty until 50k anyway) and the Atlanta car has 10k more miles of warranty. So, if someone were to but this CPO car, they would be basically paying around $9k more ($57.5k - $48,500 selling price) just for the CPO part of the car. I would think you could make a LOT of potential repairs for $9k - especially since both cars would still have their motor/battery warranty for 8 years/unlimited miles. Also remember that Tesla requires you use their extremely expensive periodic maintenance for the warranty to remain in effect. I think the cost of that is around $600 per year.

The CPO car is basically $9k to $10k more than the non-cpo car for a warranty that will cover the door handles and the 17" screen (primarily what breaks on these cars) - that is when you compare by bring them apple to apple.

Now, if you don't want the pano roof or air suspension, then the comparison is not valid because you're giving value to something that is valueless to you.

@Buddyroe I completely understand your analysis here and agree with some of the points. One thing I'm not exactly certain is true is "being required to perform the annual maintenance to maintain the CPO warranty" as I spoke with an OA about this and he told me it's recommended but not required to keep status quo. Next, allow me to show you a different vehicle which became available yesterday (while I was in a meeting and couldn't reserve :mad:). This car was only $4,500 more than the one in Atlanta, has many more options than the original car in this post and was located in the Midwest (so free shipping to TX).

upload_2018-1-19_17-36-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-19_17-34-11.png
    upload_2018-1-19_17-34-11.png
    164.7 KB · Views: 54
@Buddyroe I completely understand your analysis here and agree with some of the points. One thing I'm not exactly certain is true is "being required to perform the annual maintenance to maintain the CPO warranty" as I spoke with an OA about this and he told me it's recommended but not required to keep status quo. Next, allow me to show you a different vehicle which became available yesterday (while I was in a meeting and couldn't reserve :mad:). This car was only $4,500 more than the one in Atlanta, has many more options than the original car in this post and was located in the Midwest (so free shipping to TX).

View attachment 274461

Since I made that comparison, I was able to get the window sticker for the car in Atlanta. I think you can see from the sticker that this car is far more equipped then the CPO you've shown. What's the same? Mileage, Pano Roof, Sub Zero package. What's different? The car in Atlanta has the

Premium Interior Package ($3500)
19" Cyclone Wheels ($2500)
Alcantara Headliner ($1500)
Ultra High Fidelity Sound ($2500)
Twin Charger ($1500)
Smart Air Suspension ($2500)
Obeche Wood Package ($650)

So in this case, you're paying $14,650 to get the CPO warranty.

upload_2018-1-19_15-3-50-png.274410

@Buddyroe I get the point you’re trying to make but at the end of the day, you’re going on find more ppl who’d prefer to buy CPO and or private party because of the peace of mind that’s comes with waking up for work and the door handle(s) have stopped presenting and not having to think about spending money to fix it. The $14,650 you’re insinuating you save buying that car isn’t tangible and cant be used to pay for service labor hours AND parts. No matter how you slice it...

@NateGordonJr - I agree with that point. I guess for me, buying the car, I'd of course like to have a CPO car, but I also want UHF Sound, Pano Roof, Air Suspension, Dual chargers, etc. The car I am looking at would be around $60k if it were a CPO. That $12,000 difference IS tangible and I can make a lot of repairs for $12k. Also, I still have 10,000 miles of warranty so hopefully those items will go ahead and break. :D

Besides, are these cars really that bad?

48A07C90-27A8-41AB-9446-2C876D5D3445.png 9FA9FB03-179C-491E-A876-3A90BB758146.png @Buddyroe the point I was trying to convey is that while you may place nominal value on what you see as “saving money and avoiding the big bad CPO prices;)”, could and may very well come back to haunt you in the end. Not wishing that on you by any means and I hope you never have to see the inside of a service center for as long as you own the car (if you buy it). However, as life tends to have it, what can go wrong, usually does.
RE: 2 screenshots from members on this very forum; in 11k miles, those expensive repairs will be your onus. The very features that you covet, aside from the 8yr battery warranty you’re banking on, won’t be covered.

Actually CPO the 50K/ 4 years limited warranty starts when the first used owner/person receives the car not the remainder of what the first new owner had. So basically, thats 50K for the CPO vs. the 10K remainder on the car from Atlanta. You may come to a different conclusion when you update those assumptions.

Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in this Tesla Used Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for an incremental period of 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km) from the first day and at the mileage a used vehicle is delivered to the first used vehicle purchaser, whichever comes first, irrespective of the expiration date or mileage of the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty specified in the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty for the used vehicle.