Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Order delay and general lack of urgency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my cpo on April 24th and to this day the car hasn't been delivered, moved or updated since the date of order.

It's beyond frustrating and all I've gotten from my DS is that it is in detailing and inspection and it should be ready "soon". I was told the same thing last week as well. Either they take a long time to inspect and detail or the car is just collecting dust...

Is anyone else experiencing this? It will be the third week next week. I thought the whole reason to get a cpo is so that you don't have to wait?

When it's a USED car, YES! I would gladly wait 2-3 TIMES that amount of time if it were to mean my Model S is in the utmost pinnacle of possible beauty/shape, so that my experience is so enthralling and invigorating that I wouldn't know its pre-owned and an older model.

So yes, I think your current wait-time is perfectly okay.

I guess I'm just used to other luxury brands of pampering and communication. My 911 gt3 was at my door step in 6 days from the date I ordered and that car came from 3000 miles away!

Guess I have to realize not all car makers do business like that.

I don't know if this is true, but it could be that Tesla doesn't complete all the reconditioning until the CPO car is sold. Anyway, as this is a brand new program for Tesla I wouldn't expect it to be smooth sailing, nor would I expect used sales to be its highest priority. It will still be faster than ordering new.

I don't know if this is true, but it could be that Tesla doesn't complete all the reconditioning until the CPO car is sold. Anyway, as this is a brand new program for Tesla I wouldn't expect it to be smooth sailing, nor would I expect used sales to be its highest priority. It will still be faster than ordering new.

I was ready with check in hand the day I placed the deposit and I let them know that I had cash to purchase as well. I'm not sure what the hold up is and no one will give me any information besides the fact that it is being inspected and detailed for the past two weeks. Worst part about all of it is that I'm only about 360 miles away from the center.

Last edited:
I was ready with check in hand the day I placed the deposit and I let them know that I had cash to purchase as well. I'm not sure what the hold up is and no one will give me any information besides the fact that it is being inspected and detailed for the past two weeks. Worst part about all of it is that I'm only about 360 miles away from the center.

#1. If they are really putting your car in tip top shape, then the wait is okay (atleast I'd be okay with it).
#2. If the delay is due to them being busy with other higher priority customers, then that is absurd.

Even if the delay is due to #1, I would expect to get a detailed update on WTH is the inspection all about, and what is the progress.

Thanks for sharing your experience on this, IMO that's 10 points deducted from the CPO experience.

I also ordered on 4/24. I personally had bebe expecting a faster response, but was prepared to wait a bit. Once the dust settled, my DS and OA said that a CPO vehicle takes about 10-14 days to be ready and delivered, or longer if this a long-distance delivery. That said, for those of us who ordered on 4/24, nothing happened in the first week as HQ was still working out delivery logistics. So, we were looking at 10-14 days from 5/1. I was told my car wouldn't be ready in time for the next truck out, so I would be looking at 10-14 days from the following week. After speaking with my DS and OA, I made the command decision that I would fly out and drive the car home rather than wait longer for delivery (and pay a good bit more for delivery than my flight). The feeling I got was my car would be ready this coming Monday, but Thursday worked better for my schedule. Thus, I will get my car this Thursday.

TL;DR
After 5/1, 10-14 days from purchase to delivery unless going cross country ($1,500 transport fee). Prior to that, the clock didn't start until 5/1 if bought through the "public" CPO program. The trial version of the CPO program available prior to 4/24 played by different rules.

I also ordered on 4/24. I personally had bebe expecting a faster response, but was prepared to wait a bit. Once the dust settled, my DS and OA said that a CPO vehicle takes about 10-14 days to be ready and delivered, or longer if this a long-distance delivery. That said, for those of us who ordered on 4/24, nothing happened in the first week as HQ was still working out delivery logistics. So, we were looking at 10-14 days from 5/1. I was told my car wouldn't be ready in time for the next truck out, so I would be looking at 10-14 days from the following week. After speaking with my DS and OA, I made the command decision that I would fly out and drive the car home rather than wait longer for delivery (and pay a good bit more for delivery than my flight). The feeling I got was my car would be ready this coming Monday, but Thursday worked better for my schedule. Thus, I will get my car this Thursday.

TL;DR
After 5/1, 10-14 days from purchase to delivery unless going cross country ($1,500 transport fee). Prior to that, the clock didn't start until 5/1 if bought through the "public" CPO program. The trial version of the CPO program available prior to 4/24 played by different rules.

That makes a whole lot of sense and I wish the communication was clearer on Tesla's part.

So basically nobody even touched anything until 5/1. In my opinion they still messed up. The detailing or inspection that they are doing now could have been done when they were trying to figure out logistics the first week.

Someone mismanaged the beginning of this project royally.

Last edited:
Sounds like it. Though I would imagine if anyone bought a CPO that was at their local store, that could have been prepped and "delivered" already. Most of it sounded like the logistics of cars getting from lot A to lot B on such a scale. Inventory cars have moved between stores before, but there was often a couple week wait for those (if not in-region) due to logistics and I imagine that one reason for obtaining approvals for out of region sales was because of the transportation question. It just sounded that HQ hadn't finalized the details on getting cars between stores.

when they take I'm cpo cars they do a quick detail at the service center and then are currently being used as service loaners. At least this is what they're doing in both Seattle and Bellevue here. I had my car in last week and drove a CPO. I'm not saying that your car is still being driven. But it would take a bit to put it back in spiffy order. Detail paint correction etc.

I am on the opposite end of this. Since the last lease payment on my 2013 Chevy Volt isn't until August (that is 4 payments left for those of you keeping track), the longer it takes Tesla to deliver my CPO, the less time I have 2 payments. The delay is putting me squarely in the 3 month range with 2 payments instead of 3 1/2 or 4 months.